Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Something to consider when purchasing a Tow Vehicle

I read an intresting article today. It had to do with The Auto Mfg in the USA, and America, and 9/11/2001. It made me proud to own American, knowing what they did for America, and Americans on that dark day, and weeks to follow.

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford
- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
The company also offered ER response team services and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM
- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of Vans, SUV's, and Trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler
-$10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles
- $1 million and 30 new
motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen
-
Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai
- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi
- see VW

8. BMW - Nothing.

9. Daewoo - Nothing.

10. Fiat - Nothing.

11. Honda - Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu - Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi - Nothing.

14. Nissan - Nothing.

15. Porsche - Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru - Nothing.

17. Suzuki - Nothing.

18. Toyota - Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website .

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase a new vehicle, keep this information in mind.
You might want to give more consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companiescontributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ... It's OKfor these companies to take money out of this country, but it is apparentlynot acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should notforget things like this.
Say thank you in a way that gets their attention..

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This is a chain email that my mom forwarded to me a couple years ago. I won't invite political judgements (and some such judgements are drawn about snopes.com too), but snopes says "Mixture of truth, falsity and outdated information." snopes.com: Automaker 9/11 Contributions

I'm definitely for American jobs wherever they are.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Oh, and Toyota apparently also gave over $3 million to tsunami relief organizations.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
and how much did america contribute to the world financial crisis?
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-Puf View Post
and how much did america contribute to the world financial crisis?
Kim
Far less than we did liberating Europe and providing jobs that provide means for families in Canada and the purchasing of Canadian made goods at a trade imbalance.....
http://wichita.bizjournals.com/wichi...8/daily35.html

Takes moxie to poop where you dine.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Decided not to say what I wanted to say about the coment made by Jet-Puf. I like this forum and don't want to get banned.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Some Folks will never make the connection between how/where they spend their $ and Nationalism (Patriotism)...
You either get...or you don't.

Surprised this post hasn't been shut down yet...

Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Thumbs down Getting banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Decided not to say what I wanted to say about the coment made by Jet-Puf. I like this forum and don't want to get banned.
Its sad that someone is afraid that expressing his opinion will get him banned from this forum. How unAmerican.
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallgood View Post
Its sad that someone is afraid that expressing his opinion will get him banned from this forum. How unAmerican.
If there is one thing here on this forum that I am keenly aware of it's how folks very freely express themselves. Some of us more than others....and some of us more than others have been taken out back and thrashed privately over some of 'em, but I won't name any names.....thought it still hurts to sit sometimes.

In the end as long as it's civil and really doesn't get hairs raised, you're usually ok. In the years I've been here, there have been some downright awful threads that the referees (mods) rightly broke up and closed, but in the last few years, it's been pretty decent with the edits and such. This wasn't the case early on.

At any rate, perhaps Bluto really was diggin' in and if he thought as much, perhaps he did the right thing, we'll never know since he self modded himself.

I suspect the golden rule is key-- if you can't say it to someone in public in front of others, face to face, perhaps it has no place in an informal setting. We've all at some point been guilty of not following that rule, but heck, we are what we are.......eventually I'll be able to sit again, but I'm still here (though I am not quite sure how).....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallgood View Post
No, it wouldn't have gotten him banned! An overt or strong political message would be deleted and the member(s) messaged in a respectful manner.

In line with the community rules on the bottom of each and every AIR page, we would leave political posts in place if it had anything associated "with the topic of this forum." Posts tinged with mild politics often are left in place if they don't start a larger political discussion. I respect and appreciate that we have a nice adult group of participating members!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post

In the end as long as it's civil and really doesn't get hairs raised, you're usually ok...
...I suspect the golden rule is key--
that pretty much sums it up, right there.

The problem is that it almost never happens that way, when highly emotionally charged political views get involved.
If we could simply say, "this is my opinion"...that would be fine. but its always "this is my opinion...AND YOU'RE AN IF YOU DISAGREE!!"
thats when we have to get the hoses out, and hose everything down.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
OK, this is a semi-hijack... but kind of along the same lines (vaguely)... but it brought the point of the loss of domestic manufacturing home to me when my B&D toaster oven finally bit the dust... there are NO U.S. (or Canadian, or even Mexican) made toaster ovens anymore. Just try to find one.. they may have an American name, or a French name, or an Italian name, but every one of them is made in China and has no replaceable or repairable parts. Some of them cost upwards of $400. (I kid you not!) Do you really mean to tell me that there isn't a domestic factory that could make a profit hiring Americans to make $400 toaster ovens?

Now, toast, or even nice crispy personal-sized pizzas, are probably not a national security issue, but IMAGINE what things could be like if the domestic (U.S./Canada) vehicle manufacturing situation became anything like the toaster oven situation. The process just seem so insidious... it starts off with "well, it's okay if they make cheap plastic trinkets..." then it's "well, it's great that they are making cheap DVD players, hospital equipment, and food." And just a bit further down the slippery slope, they are selling us everything we need and loaning us the money to buy it with. It's like the old company town/company store situation.

Rant over.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I question the validity of "snopes" or what ever they are called. I always chuckle when people revert to them, to justify, or creating questrions on credibility.

I threw this out there, simple... Certain things drum up debate, I learned my lesson, when my axles were found to be good, after I was told they were bad by a picture. I am not on here much anymore, I even removed it from my homepage. Among Airstreamers, people speak different.

Older people are easy prey, hand shake deals still exist and are adheerd to. People use them ( old people) and its big bussiness. My grandma almost fell victim to a guy at a repair shop trying to make a buck. BBB took care of him. Old guys like to gloat about a major repair shaving off time 15 min here 15 min there. Like they are getting a cut of the pie. Hey its perception... He said it, they agreed, it must be true. But to often its not.

I still see municipalities, and other state agencies using American vehicles. Because of what those Auto MFG give to there comunity, and this great country. Even those that have Toyota or Nissan ect still use Fords, Chevy and Chrysler.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Guilty conscience?

I think it is most interesting the Folks that have stayed away from this thread (except for one).

The silence is deafening...

Bill
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I read an intresting article today. It had to do with The Auto Mfg in the USA, and America, and 9/11/2001. It made me proud to own American, knowing what they did for America, and Americans on that dark day, and weeks to follow.

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford
- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
The company also offered ER response team services and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM
- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of Vans, SUV's, and Trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler
-$10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles
- $1 million and 30 new
motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen
-
Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai
- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi
- see VW

8. BMW - Nothing.

9. Daewoo - Nothing.

10. Fiat - Nothing.

11. Honda - Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu - Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi - Nothing.

14. Nissan - Nothing.

15. Porsche - Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru - Nothing.

17. Suzuki - Nothing.

18. Toyota - Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website .

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase a new vehicle, keep this information in mind.
You might want to give more consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companiescontributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ... It's OKfor these companies to take money out of this country, but it is apparentlynot acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should notforget things like this.
Say thank you in a way that gets their attention..

GM owns or owned, interest in many of these companies, why would they donate multiple times, when a single donation works just as well, and gives better PR?
For the purposes of your argument, GM= Isuzu, Suzuki, and Subaru, as GM had an interest in all those companies at that time. How many times should GM donate? Daewoo was in the throes of liquidational bankruptcy during the 9/11 era, and went out of the American auto business in 2002, with GM buying the automotive arm. Daewoo couldn't even make payroll, and you want them to donate?
That removes 4 from your blacklist.
For your information, VW=Audi and Porsche. Again, how many times should a single company donate?
That removes another 2 from your blacklist.
Daimler Chrysler is affiliated with Hyundai and Mitsubishi, or was at the time of 9/11, so that removes another one from your blacklist, and Hyundai independently donated besides. Sounds like only 5 are "bad guys", and all we have is your word they didn't donate.
I see you didn't bother telling us if Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus made donations or not, and if they did, they are divisions of companies you blacklisted, which would remove Honda, Nissan, and Toyota from the list. I didn't bother to check, and I'd be willing to bet you didn't, either. I didn't bother checking BMW, either.
I also didn't see Renault on your list. Renault owns a good chunk of Nissan, and, while I doubt they did, they may have made a contribution.
So, the only one that I would believe didn't make a contribution of some kind is Fiat. They didn't even import cars into the US in 2001, and haven't to date, so, it doesn't really matter if Fiat donated a penny, we couldn't voice our opinion by not buying a car that we can't buy anyway.
So, the point of your entire post, and this thread, is flawed, pointless, and a waste of bandwidth.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Another point of view!

Hi, are we not talking about donations? Donations are voluntary, not a requirement. Do you donate to everyone who knocks on your door or stops you in the street, I don't? If they donated, great! If they didn't, that's fine too. Before we condem those who may not have donated to the cause, maybe we should look in a mirror, and see if who we see donated or not.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
There information originally posted here is a debunked chain letter. the only conclusive evidence found by the original writer of that email was that they were unable to determine what, if any contributions where made by the companies named. to draw the conclusions that are in the email is flawed, and potentially slanderous.

aside from snopes, there are other interet sites which have debunked this myth. here is one example.
FactCheck.org: Is it true that the Big Three American automakers made charitable contributions after 9/11, while foreign companies, by and large, did nothing?

no doubt there are others for anyone who wants to do the research.

finally, lets not forget that many of the "non" American brands are in fact built here in the USA. Toyota has 10 plants in the US i believe. those plants equal jobs for Americans. if we stop buying the cars and trucks built at those plants, Americans will lose their jobs.

maybe instead of trying to undercut the competition with patriotism, the big three should figure out a way to produce a better product.
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote