Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
softer 3/4 ton TV or a new hitch?

I have been following recent threads about 3/4 and 1 tons transferring too much shock to the trailer. I have an F250 Superduty 2wd. Short of getting another TV are there valid options to create a softer ride? Ideas such as removing some leaves from the rear spring, air bag suspension, and air ride hitches come to mind. What works and what doesn't. What is the easiest solution and would give the most bang for my buck?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
All the posts about such things have me concerned also as I have a 1/2 ton truck with the HD suspension, and a Reese hitch with the 800 lb bars...the ones that Reese calls for for my trailer.

Are you having problems due to the ride, or just concerned as I am?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I am equally concerned and will be most likely buying a Class 6 air safe hitch as a result.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
St Louis , Missouri
I have a Dodge 3/4 ton short bed with the 6-cylinder turbo diesel, bought specifically to tow my 29' 1990 Excella. Yes, the rear suspension seems like it could be a bit cushier, but I'm not worried about it. The behavior of a truck depends on how much it is loaded. An empty heavy-duty truck seems stiff, and bumps in the road impart a pronounced jolt to whatever is riding in the bed and to whatever is hooked to the rear bumper. A fully loaded truck tends to wallow over the bumps with less jolting, because the springs have a lot of work to do to support the mass in the bed. I anticipate that most of my tow miles will find the bed of my truck filled near capacity with tools, extra batteries, a fuel generator, a wind generator, extra propane bottles, etc.

Also, it seems to me that when the truck isn't fully loaded, then adjusting the weight distribution bars to put more weight on the tongue helps to settle down the back end. Weight distribution systems are meant to be helpful when the full tongue weight of the trailer is overwhelming the carrying capacity of the rear axle of the tow vehicle; in this situation the best ride is achieved when the WD setup takes weight off of the rear TV springs, bringing the rear TV ride height back towards normal. In the case of a heavy-duty tow vehicle with a light load, a fully tensed weight distribution setup isn't helping matters any, it's just making the rear TV spring response more harsh. When I tow my AS with a light load in my truck, I intend to lighten up on the WD setting.

Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Oh boy.. its show time...

This time its my turn to get the popcorn!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yep, my prediction is Mike is going to get an earful from Andy.

Who said that?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have heard of this issue of hard TV ride.

I have also been involved in ride studies with my employer.

Facts are:

The tow vehicle is hitched to your trailer behind the bumper. It wont have the jolt effect when a bump is hit. The trailer will get more of a wave effect.

A heavy duty truck or 3/4 -1 ton ect... suspension likes to be loaded. On a 1 ton application you almost dont even need distribution bars. I have almost no drop in my application and The trailer tows fine.
3/4 ton SuperDuty and 31 ft Airstream.

When loading 55 gal drums in a semi trailer it is reccomended/ or smoothest ride come between the axles. The teeter totter effect.
(keep in mind hitch is a fith wheel type)

The trailers ride is mostly dependent on its own suspension.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have also learned that popcorn and other remarks off topic will almost certainly get a post edited or removed or closed.

counter productive
Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I've pulled my AS several thousand miles behind a 2000 2WD F 250 Superduty and did not notice any damage to my camper. I have now pulled several hundred miles behind an F 350. My F 350 with no lift bar tension feels like my F 250 did with the 800lb bars tightened up. Whenever I see cabinets falling or rivets popping, I'll get concerned. Until then, I like the feeling of complete control the Superduty trucks give.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I know this creates a lot of controversy,but dropping the air pressure in your rear tires on the TV is a easy sure fire way to soften your ride. Use some commen sense, if the TV is lightly or no load all the rear tires are supporting is the truck weight & tongue weight. I run my rear tires on my 1995 F350 at 35 psi when pulling my Airstream. When I pull my water trailer I run 50 psi. I also don't pull my trailer fast. 60 mhh makes me happy, the truck happy, and the old Airstream happy. Plus you don't build tire heat as bad. Tire heat KILLS tires. Adios, John
Ps I don't have a fancy hitch. Just a ball.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post

Facts are:

The tow vehicle is hitched to your trailer behind the bumper. It wont have the jolt effect when a bump is hit. The trailer will get more of a wave effect.

A heavy duty truck or 3/4 -1 ton ect... suspension likes to be loaded. On a 1 ton application you almost dont even need distribution bars. I have almost no drop in my application and The trailer tows fine.
3/4 ton SuperDuty and 31 ft Airstream.

The trailers ride is mostly dependent on its own suspension.
I did have a F350 and my experience seems to support the above statement by Mustang. Not much drop with a 350 or even my 250. Towing my Tradewind without the bars feels fine, but, the argument has been made towing with the bars even is a safety factor in the event of a possible catastrophic failure such as blowout or other cause of potential sudden loss of control. Having a redundant system such as WD bars connecting the trailer to the tow also seems like a good idea.

I have towed without bars and forgot to close the front cabinet doors where I keep my CDs and found them exactly where I put them, not all over the floor as you might expect.

Conversely I recently tried torquing down the bars an extra link and found some screws in my furniture worked themselves out. Coincidence?

But the kind of road shock I am most concerned with is washboard roads, which we have in plethora. As a rule my truck bed has about 500 lbs of gear.
The experience in the cab of the truck on a washboard road is akin to popcorn (no pun intended re: above popcorn comment). In the rear view mirror the trailer appears to ride more even and gentle than the truck. But, even if the trailer suspension absorbs the bumps better than the truck some of that jarring must be transferred directly to the trailer tounge.

As usual I am trying to figure out how I can have my cake and eat it too.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Easy
Get a one ton TV of your choice and get a commercial air hitch or whatever they call them today. Also a set of centramatic wheeel balancers for the TV and Airstream. Best ride on earth.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Stiff...

3/4 Burb w/AutoRide, smoooooth with plenty of load capacity.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have learned 1 thing if anything in this life. "variables"

there are always variables. nothing is exact when it comes to this topic.

I know that there are all kinds of hitch mfg.

I dont see any weight distribution bars on these guys rigs that deliver trailers.

They get paid to go from point A to point B. The faster they do it the more rounds they can do and the more money they make.

"Variables" Thats not to say 1 wont use a special hitch.

If you use the weight distributing hitch and chain up the bars to tight you could jacknife in wet or slippery conditions.

If you dont use the bars or chain then to low you could slide with the steering tires (snowplow)effect.