1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Vehicle Option Codes

Greetings Jonathan!

Originally Posted by crazylev
Thank you, fellas.

So, the glove compartment, or a least underneath the vehicle on a bolt on or near the differential.

I did a web search for GMC build codes, but did not find much. I'd love to have this info in hand when at the dealer. Here is where my problem came to play: the vehicle that I did a test drive in had no window sticker with all the options, msrp, and so on. I did not ask to see that sticker, as I was not that interested in the 2wd yukon, yet.

Does the dealer have to present that window sticker if requested? This was obviously a new vehicle, smelled new, engine not dirty. Gut said new.

If I am looking at a "new" 2005 vehicle (not 2006) is it reasonable that that vehicle has 500 miles on it? The '05 Yukon 2wd was a "brand new" vehicle, but it did have 500 miles on it. At what mileage does a new car fall into used or demo?

Again, I'm leaning toward the 2005 because of the 0% financing. My cost for the 05 yukon 2wd v8 tow package would be 28,500.00 + tax etc.

The 4x4 with sunroof cargo package and an sle package with(upgraded) leather, supposedly done by dealer, v8 we left at about 33,000.00

How does this sound. Again the contigency is the back end stuff, locking rear differential.

Thank you for your continued therapy...

I haven't purchased a new vehicle for a few years, but always utilized the new car and light truck guides published by Edmunds that were available on almost any Newstand and from most bookstores. They will list the alphanumeric codes utilized by the auto manufacturers to identify every option placed on a new vehicle -- when I bought my GMC Suburban in 1998, I went into the dealer with a list of my required option codes based on the Edmunds guide.

Each state will vary in how a new car is classified when being sold by a dealer. When I have purchased new vehicle's that were sourced via "dealer-trades", I have had a new vehicle with as many as 1,200 miles at delivery. I have also purchased a "demonstrator" that had 6,000 miles on the odometer -- had all of the priveleges of new car ownership as well as a new car title, but with a significant price break due to the demonstrator mileage on the vehicle. I have received the new vehicle window sticker on both "dealer trade" vehicles as well as the "demonstrator" vehicle that I purchased -- I would insist upon being supplied the window sticker if purchasing any vehicle represented as new.

Good luck with your research and purchase!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois

Thank you for that advice. I'll definately insist on the sticker.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote