Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I have had the 2000# from Highway Products for three or four years now. Best thing since canned dog food although nothing is absolutely perfect. I made a vertical chair rack across the front that allows the beach chairs to be removed individually. They are the worst to travel with as they usually don't stack well and are all over the place even when strapped down. I keep my 3000 Watt Honda generator strapped down about 12" from the back end. When I want to run the generator I just slide everything out to the second notch which puts it approximately over the tailgate, plug in the trailer cord and run it in place. If there's a sudden thunderstorm I just shut everything down and roll the slide into the truck and close it up. No lifting or struggling to get a hot generator under cover before it gets wet. I did make and install a set of rollers on the inside of my tailgate near the top end. It adds a tremendous amount of stability to the slide when it is extended with a full camping load. The thing weighs about 350# but I have a GMC 2500HD truck and really don't notice the weight. I'm now 68 years old and hopping up into a pickup bed with a cap on it is a thing of the past. The slide is well built and worth every penny. It shipped to NJ from Oregon with no damage and only a small piece of wood missing from the crate. You lose a little bit of space on both sides from the wheel well forward but the convenience of having the slide more than compensates for it. I wouldn.t be without one at this stage of the game.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
Why not just build one? A couple sheets of ply, glue and screws....add some rollers, and you're done. Save a ton of money...and customize to your needs.
A couple of reasons -

1. Ruggedness of the slide. Getting smooth reliable operation with 1000+lbs loaded is not trivial.
2. Time - Sometimes I get so busy that I need to use my visa to solve problems rather than make it.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmike View Post
I have the 1000 Pro SE....$1150. The 2000 is around $1600.
All the bed slides from the different manufacturers seem to be in this ballpark.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Now seems a good time to purchase cause some online companies in the US are offering money off coupons because of the 4th of July Holiday coming up.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I too found it difficult to crawl around the bed of my F-150 extended cab and opted for the Bed Slide. It was easy to install and can be removed in minutes--no bolts. Just need an extra pair of hands. It will hold 1200 lbs and only takes up 4 inches of vertical clearance. I added a 2000 lbs winch mounted on the front of Bed Slide to pull up my ATV which fits inside (rear rack, front tires removed and handlebars lowered.) Normally it is configured for camping below with generator and Weber on the end. Easy to close up cap for security. Generator can also be attached to bed slide with cable ($1000 bill with a handle on it )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	189435

Name:	IMAG0061.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	189436

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	189437

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Don, which Bedslide model do you have in your truck? Looks good.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Bluto, I believe it is a model S-10 Bed Slide for 6.5' bed. I got the basic frame from the factory and added my own plywood bed and rails. Several dealers also handle the product and it can be ordered complete with bed and rails. But it you have a saw and a drill it is easy to do the deck with $25 worth of 3/4" plywood. It works best on level ground if you have a load, as you can imagine. I think it weighs about 150 lbs.

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I too keep my generator on the slide. I welded a threaded fitting to the generator exhaust and with a stainless hose I can slide it back in for bad weather or for security and run the exhaust out through the open bed or window. Works great.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
50KIP- Thanks for the pics. 1 question: how do you get to the stuff that is in front of the wheel wells?

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
tkasten--I assume you are talking about the space next to the slide in front of the wheel wells. On the 6.5' bed it is not a large space and I try to keep things out of that area. Behind the wheel well is reachable and I put items like a small gas can or orange cones or hydraulic jack. I keep the Airstream spare in the truck and most things on the bed slide are in 12x12 milk crates. I use the grill and generator in place as in pictures. Handy--just slide the bed all the way in when not in use and close up the back. Someone would have to break in to get to the generator.

(Bud Light commercial)

Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
polarlyse--Do you have a picture of your generator exhaust setup? I run my gen in place at the middle stop of the bed slide. In the rain the cap window acts as a shield (somewhat).

Every winter I go to Arizona and boondock on BLM land near Quartzite. I bring my ATV which I load with ladder ramps and a winch. The ladder ramps then serve as shelves for the milk crates. Generator and Weber ride in Airstream as I'm eating fast food road on the road. On site, with ATV off, the gen and grill assume their usual positions on the bed slide. I don't think I have a picture of that setup with the ATV in the truck and I won't be doing it until December.

(Bud Light commercial)

Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Don, My son was able to get some SS hose where he works. Probably about 1.25" ID would be my guess. It has threaded couplings at each end for their uses. We welded a matching threaded coupling to the exhaust outlet. Just thread the hose on and all's good. I can try and do a photo later after some weather passes by. I use some wire to tie the outlet end to the end of my slider since it does get hot and so it doesn't touch anything else. I usually run it with the tailgate down but could close it and leave the cap window open if I need to.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
[QUOTE=50KIP;1318902]I too found it difficult to crawl around the bed of my F-150 extended cab and opted for the Bed Slide. It was easy to install and can be removed in minutes--no bolts. Just need an extra pair of hands. It will hold 1200 lbs and only takes up 4 inches of vertical clearance. I added a 2000 lbs winch mounted on the front of Bed Slide to pull up my ATV which fits inside (rear rack, front tires removed and handlebars lowered.) Normally it is configured for camping below with generator and Weber on the end. Easy to close up cap for security. Generator can also be attached to bed slide with cable ($1000 bill with a handle on it )

QUOTE]

Great info.

I like the idea of putting my own plywood base on the slide. That way I can customize. And if I don't like the customization, I can take it all off and start again.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Great info.

I like the idea of putting my own plywood base on the slide. That way I can customize. And if I don't like the customization, I can take it all off and start again.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. I have different plastic boxes that have stuff for different contents for different camping missions. I screwed 1" X 1 1/2" oak to the plywood sheet to keep the boxes from sliding around as well as a spot for the generator...works great.