Old 06-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
As an Ocean Breeze 25 FB owner, I have yet to get tired the beach cottage decor. Don't forget some of the extra cost is related to the wrap around windows on both ends plus the vista views up top. This contributes to a very light filled, open feel inside the coach. It's not absolutely necessary but it sure is nice. Bottom line, I dont think you can go wrong with any new Airstream, just don't expect it to be perfect, because it wont be.

Jot Hollenbeck
2008 Ocean Breeze 25' FB
JHollenbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Originally Posted by COLORADO_CAMPER View Post
Hi Neal,

I would have to say that it is not the best choice for any trailer over about 22'.

I just have to take exception to that. The 5.4 in the F-150 is a great engine and is the same engine you get in the F-250/350 models. It has plenty of towing power for any airstream.

2009 F-350 FX4 Crewcab 4x4 6.4l
former '78 Argosy 20' Minuet owner
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just now rolling past 30k miles towing my 31' Sovereign all over North America (presently in Indiana headed north). Tow it with a 2004 Nissan Titan. Never have had a problem going, stopping, turning, passing, being passed....... 13 mpg towing. 17 solo.

Granted my 22 year old trailer is lighter than the closest equivalent modern version and we travel light -- everything in the back of my Titan weighs a total of 223# more or less (most is the spare tire and the EU2000i).

Personally, I think the Tundra is superior to the Titan and the Ford is the equivalent but you will find that argued inifinitely on the Forum.

The 31' is more than we need (we have lots of empty closet space) but the price was right. We kept the forward fold out couch (even had it restuffed and recovered) for our anticipated guests (many jr family memebers). So far, no takers. so we may take it out next winter for a dinette.

Have you considered buying an older unit and camping in it for a while to see what works, what doesn't etc. etc. ? A late 80's/early 90's unit has already been fully depreciated and you would probably be able to sell it for pretty much what you paid for it. Just a thought.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master
It all depends............

A 1/2 ton might be fine if you only tow a few times a year. My 2000 1/2
ton has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. (What have they done to beef up the newer trucks??????? ). Anyway, my trailer is only 2700 lbs, and I still think that I need a beefier tow vehicle.
I have a 20' trailer. It's too small while I am camping, too big when I am towing.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #33
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Size does matter

Now, this comment is from a non-owner (yet!), so take it for what it's worth...

About the only thing that hasn't been pointed out at least once in this thread is that, in a 20 footer, everyone in the trailer is in one room.

In the 25 footer, there is a door, and a person can be alone, if they so desire.

To me, this is essential, and the reason why I want a 25' AS. My DW and I get along fine, and have done so for the last 38 years, but there are times when one of us wants to be alone to nap, internet, read, whatever, and I cannot imagine full-timing in one small room.

A rear-couch unit will give you good floor room, where you can toss sleeping bags for the littlest ones, but the 15 yr old can certainly enjoy a tent outside beside you for those "most-crowded" situations. In any event, think back to when you were 15 and remember that in a very short time, IF he still wants to come with you, he may well have a female guest with him. In this case the outside tent will be a must.

Note: yes, I know that the bathroom has a door and is technically another room, but since it is a single-purpose room, let's not include it in this discussion.

My advice is to get an F150 now and get out there and try it! You won't really know if it suits your style till you do! The market on those is so strong, you'll still be able to get a 250 for next season, but I would point out that time is of the essence, especially when young ones are involved. Don't fritter away the rest of this season over-thinking it. Let's be honest, you won't be driving this rig for twenty years, will you? Nor will I.

In other words, ready, fire, aim.

I wish you "Fair winds and following seas", my friend...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:13 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Langley , British Columbia
Hello Airstreamers!
Jot; I do agree, the Ocean Breeze is absolutely beautiful. Is it $10 - 12K more beautiful than the Safari SE with the same floor plan? I dunno. Still rolling that one around in my head. I have decided on the SE version of the Safari, if I go the Safari line instead of the International. That way, I get the vista view windows and the panoramic ones front and back. But not that stunning ‘kaleidoscope’ engine-turned aluminum work and the white cabinetry. It’s just the extra cost I’m having trouble with.
Nah, nothing is perfect, not even Airstreams. But it is the imperfections that are going to make my Airstream my Airstream, and the challenges it gives me will simply make me a better Airstreamer. Such is the way with all things.
By the way, Jot, would you buy the 25’FB again? Always interested to hear if someone would do it the same way again, should the existing one disappear for some reason. I am liking the 25’FB more each time I look at it; it seems a perfect compromise between the luxurious but ponderous 27/28 footers, and the arguably small 20’ one.
Van; I suppose the 5.4 might run out of steam at the top of the largest mountain passes on the continent, but for the most part a rather sedate driver like myself will find it perfect, or any of it’s Chev/Toyota/Nissan etc competitors.
Mike; my goodness, 31’, that’s a big one. I can’t see just single old me rattling around in something like that. Be good for a family though.
I may well look at an older unit one day, but I think for my first experience I would prefer new. I will be living in it, so I don’t really have the luxury of being able to do much in the way of repairs/replacement in my situation. One day, maybe...
M-Dave; what is it that makes you wish you had a beefier truck? I have no idea what any of the manufacturers has done to make the trucks have more towing/payload capacities, but I have to think that there needs to be some justification for the numbers they claim. I think there would be legal issues if the trucks did not perform within stated parameters. Having said that, I do believe in the popular wisdom of ‘trailer GVWR + 15% and truck payload/towing capacity - 10%’ just to have a safety margin.
Aage; I’m not sure I understand what you mean by ‘in a 20 footer, everyone is in one room’? There is a sliding accordion door separating the bed/closet from the rest of the trailer, which sort of divides it up, visually if not sound isolating. There is a similar door to accomplish a similar purpose in most of the other trailers too, except maybe the smallest ones and the Sport models.
My son, Mike the fifteen year old, has expressed that for now he would like to stay inside the trailer when he is visiting or traveling with me. This, I realize is subject to change, especially with a girl-friend involved. I will cross that bridge when I come to it, and in any event, I have the grand-children to help me justify the larger trailer (25’ vs 20’)(I hear you chortling, 2air).
Yes, I think it is going to be an F150. With the 28’, I was questioning the wisdom of that truck, but I am confident that it will serve my needs with a 25 foot one.
Can’t say for sure about the driving of it for the next 20 years, but it will be for a long while, which is why I am being so careful about making the decision. Overthinking perhaps, but I have better uses for money than undoing mistakes that can be avoided. That’s why I’m so glad to have discovered this forum! What a wonderful community and knowledgeable resource this is.
And by the way, Aage, before I moved to the west coast to escape the mosquitoes, humidity and snow, I lived just up the 400 from you, in Barrie, then just west of there in New Lowell. Small world, huh?
Life is lighter and brighter in aluminum...
55neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 AM   #35
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by 55neal View Post
And by the way, Aage, before I moved to the west coast to escape the mosquitoes, humidity and snow, I lived just up the 400 from you, in Barrie, then just west of there in New Lowell. Small world, huh?

While New Lowell may have mosquitos, we don't have them here in Aurora. And if you prefer the almost constant rain and cloudy skies that you get in BC during the fall (and winter, and spring) to snow, then you are perfectly situated.

"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it" - Stephen Wright
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
just got back

Hi Neal,

I just returned from 6 weeks in my 23' Ocean Breeze--took my sons ages 17 and 23 from Florida to California and back. Best thing I have ever done in my entire life. My truck is an '06 Tundra 4 door 8 cyl. It pulled fine but we used the interstate highways to go across the big mountains. Originally I was going to buy a 16 or 19 foot but the salesman told me I would be back in a year upgrading. He also said it is relly nice to have 2 axles instead of one. I will tell you 23' was fine but I would not have wanted to go any smaller.

sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote