Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Silverado 2500 gas downhill speed control process

There are a lot of controls in the cockpit of a late model Chevrolet Silverado 2500 gas truck for towing a trailer.
Brake assist, towing gears, manual gear control, trailer brake controls.

Please describe your process when descending a mild, and a steep 6 percent or so grade.

Approach speed, gear, brakes, max RPM you use before shifting, etc.
Anything to help a newbie from riding the brakes all the way.

thanks,
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
There are a lot of controls in the cockpit of a late model Chevrolet Silverado 2500 gas truck for towing a trailer.

Please describe your process when descending a mild, and a steep 6 percent or so grade.

Approach speed, gear, brakes, max RPM you use before shifting, etc.
Anything to help a newbie from riding the brakes all the way.

thanks,
Down hill in the same gear you went up in.....or lower...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Cruise control downhill works great on my TV (not the same as yours.) The computer regulates fuel flow and engine braking and downshifts transmission automatically. Occasionally I will use the manual control on the trailer brakes to slow the rig more when coming to a turn as using the brake pedal will disengage the cruise control.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
You should watch how they do it on the gauntlet tests. Google your truck brand gauntlet test. In short: When the truck gets to a certain speed they apply the breaks when in tow haul mode or when in a certain gear. On an 8 mile trip down a 7% grade they tapped the breaks about 12 times with a similar truck. On this stretch they never get over 60 mph, and they try to keep it around 50 mph going down. And they are loaded pretty much to the max on these tests.

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I watched the video, interesting, but doesn't answer the questions.
How did they use the integral brake controller to set up the trailer brakes.
What gears did they start with, or was it always just in drive? No use of the manual shifting features?
No use of brake assist? Why or why not?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Silverado 2500 gas downhill speed control process

Follow your manuals instructions for setting up the gain. That takes little experimentation on level surface. 2. If you watch the video note that they put it in tow haul mode. That is what your truck should be in towing. Then when it got to a certain speed going down They would tap the brakes and note the RPMs go up because the truck would automatically shift gear down to engine break. That is why trucks have Tow haul mode. The tow haul mode is there so you do not have to manually shift. The computer on the truck does for you. You can do it yourself if you don’t have a tow haul mode. The big thing is to start down hill at the desired speed. If you go up at 55 you may want to down at 50.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I just purchased a 2018 GMC Denali 3500 hd and it took less than 5 min to adjust the brake controller with the TT brakes (there should be videos on this).

In regards to braking and speeds going down a steep grade I use Tow Mode and the exhaust brake on the GMC and brings the speed down to ~50 mph or less. I'm not shy about going slow in the right lane and let anyone in a hurry pass me on the left.

If I remember adjusting the TT brakes was just letting the TV go while in drive (no gas) and squeezing the brake controllers together until you get the right amount of braking.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Many years ago an old trucker told me to never start down a hill any faster than you could climb it.
It came a little late at the time, I was a kid in an overloaded runaway truck towing a flat bed trailer doing 80+mph down the Grapevine(interstate 5) into Bakersfield Ca and luck was on my side with no traffic and a pretty straight road.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post

There are a lot of different grades of hills and descents you'll encounter and that is why your truck and trailer have different options. Most downgrades vary in steepness throughout the descent. Using tow/haul mode works until you get to a flat area and you must accelerate beyond wht's comfortable to get the TV to upshift. Sometimes it is better to manually shift gears in these situations. Your trailer brakes may be set correctly for the flatlands, but you may want to click them up a notch on downgrades and reset when reaching the bottom. You have to adjust for the situation that makes you feel most comfortable.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
When you are in tow mode just keep the speed down in hill areas. Don’t over think this. Drive a comfortable speed. Try to drive at a speed where breaking is a minimum.