Old 05-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
It's 4 doors with the full size back doors, standard bed (I think 5'-8"). LT with Nav, Victory Red with black leather, heated seats, 265/65R18 All Terrain Goodyear Wrangler tires, max tow package, LT Convenience package.

The decal says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 953 kg or 2101 lbs."

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Craig,
What are the details of your truck? Cab style, bed size, trim level? Last fall I saw a couple max tow 2015 models on the lot that had only about 1860 pounds payload. They were crew cab short bed, 5.3L, loaded with goodies.
My 2500 HD only has a payload of something like 19xx lbs, crew cab, long bed.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
My 2500 HD only has a payload of something like 19xx lbs, crew cab, long bed.
I think you need to re-check that.

2012 Crew/LB/2wd = 3245#
2012 Crew/lb/4wd = 3305#

Options and content will lower that somewhat, but I think you are 1000#s off.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...eBrochure2.pdf

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think you need to re-check that.

2012 Crew/LB/2wd = 3245#
2012 Crew/lb/4wd = 3305#

Options and content will lower that somewhat, but I think you are 1000#s off.
I'll snap a photo of the door sticker today when I pick her up from the latest tire rotation and oil change. I could totally be wrong.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I added the pdf attachment after you responded....scroll down to payload page.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I definitely check it out today and post back on it. Not sure why I was thinking lower.... could be from just too much reading!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
Following this thread. I just bought a 2015 Silverado 1500 w/max tow, 5.3, 3.73 three months ago to tow my '71 Sovereign. Payload sticker on the door says 2,101 max and towing is 11,100 lbs. I haven't towed it yet because I'm just about finished with the restoration.

I've read factory docs that say tongue weight for my AS is 490. Is that wrong or are the newer Airstreams that much heavier at the ball?
The published tongue weights are a mystery to me. I have an '08 25FB and it "says" the tw is 730 pounds. Mine is just past 1000 pounds. I have a spare tire, two batteries and two full propane tanks on the tongue so it doesn't surprise me. I do know that the newer trailers are heavier which would push tongue weights up by that alone.

This thread speaks about the ability of a half ton to tow a trailer. Today that is really not the issue. I have a Tundra and it can pull my trailer easily but the point one has to consider is the carrying capacity of the half ton. Mine is rated to pull 10K but once I put the trailer on the ball I am almost out of payload options. Depending on how you camp, this is the consideration that should come first.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is no Airstream currently built that needs more than 1000 lbs hitch weight, and the Owners Manual for some if not all of them warns against exceeding 1000 lbs. Perhaps Airstream can explain that limit, but it's in the manual. There are many things you can do to reduce hitch weight (keeping at least 10% of trailer weight), moving gear and/or components such as batteries aft. That's a small price compared to buying and operating a larger truck only for payload concerns.

To know what your hitch weight is you must place your scale under the coupler with the Airstream dead level; further back will give a heavier reading.

To know what this hitch weight adds to the truck after the weight distribution hitch is applied you need to weigh the loaded-for-travel truck without the Airstream attached, and again with the Airstream attached (weigh truck axles only) and weight distribution applied. The difference in truck weight is the weight the Airstream adds to the truck.

Weighing the trailer hitch point without considering weight distribution is useful for knowing you are under Airstream's 1000 lb limit, and for getting an idea which size weight distribution hitch you may need.

There is always discussion about how much a Hensley/ProPride adds to hitch weight. Who knows, and does it really matter after things are hitched up. Sitting on the trailer it looks like it adds all of its weight to the hitch. After sliding it into the truck's receiver it looks like its weight is being carried by the truck receiver. You need two scale weights as mentioned above to know its effect on truck payload.

cheryl
Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Aftermath hit it outa the park. It isn't whether it will tow. Shoot, there is a classic photo of an AS being towed by a bicycle. It's what payload is left of the tow vehicle regardless of what that vehicle is.

And as Cheryl mentions there are lots of discussions on the forums defining hitch/tongue weight. Consider that AS when they do specs do a bare trailer. I think the specs say full propane but no other fluids. Then they weigh at the tongue/ball with a scale, maybe a Sherine. I didn't weigh my Classic in its bare setup.

Then we add WD setups of various sizes. Here's my opinion for my ProPride. There is a bit of weight that gets added to the trailer side which is the jacks and maybe you could say the spring bars.

I consider the weight of the ProPride head not to be an add to the trailer. Once it is hooked up the trailer tongue is 'sitting' on the head of the ProPride ball just like any other hitch. The weight of the ProPride head and stinger DO add to the overall weight on the vehicle hitch/receiver. So if the AS bare is 800# tongue weight, the PP head and stinger are 200#, the hitch/reciever is carrying 1000# but the tongue weight of the trailer is still 800#.

A visualization of assembling everything together on a ProPride then unlocking the hitch coupler on the trailer. You could then raise the trailer off of the ProPride ball. Then it looks like any other trailer/ball hookup scenario. The TV receiver would be carrying all of the weight of the WD setup other than the jacks.

This is a bit simplistic but without engaging any WD tension its just a bunch of parts that have some mass. And it would be similar to any other WD setup only the components wouldn't likely weigh as much as a PP.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
What size fuel tank with the 6.2L. What is the payload showing on the tire/load yellow sticker on the drivers door area?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Always an *

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post

I've read factory docs that say tongue weight for my AS is 490. Is that wrong or are the newer Airstreams that much heavier at the ball?
Not really wrong, just not a useful number. It is the weight without "accessories", like spare tire, propane, water, air conditioning, upholstery, radio, awning etc.

The brochure from 1972 lists the TW of my Ambassador at 540lbs, but it is actually 1,000lbs loaded for camping.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
It is very important to closely consider Carrying Capacity, in addition to Towing Capacity, which are two very different specifications. Some people look at towing capacity and completely overlook carrying capacity, which is a big mistake.

As each vehicle's build spec is unique as regards options, the only way to know Carrying Capacity for the vehicle in question is to look at the yellow sticker on the inside driver doorjam.

As a point of reference, our 2015 Sierra Denali HD (3/4 ton, Crew Cab, 6.5' bed, Duramax, Allison, 4x4, and a boatload of luxury features) has a carrying capacity of 2294#.

Adding up what we need to carry:
30' AS tongue 1100#
Me 190#
The Wife 140#
The Golden/Lab 100#
EU2000i Gen 47#
5 gal. gas 35#
Retrax Pro cover 90#
=======
1702 lbs.

2294# - 1702# = 592 lbs. of payload remaining for other people/more stuff. And we are likely to carry another 5 gal. of fresh water, camping recliners, camp table, and small BBQ, at least. Add that and a couple of additional people at 150# each and we will still have about 250# to 280# of safety margin carrying capacity.

Carrying capacity (along with exhaust brake, powered towing mirrors, and heavier TV weight) is why I decided to bump up to the 3/4 ton Duramax, vs the 1/2 ton 6.2L . No compromises with regard to capacities for our 30' Airstream towing application. We are very happy with the decision and absolutely LOVE the truck.

For your individual situation, do this exercise to determine whether the TV you are considering is up to the job you want it to accomplish. And it's nice to have a little margin of safety beyond capabilities.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Aftermath hit it outa the park. It isn't whether it will tow. Shoot, there is a classic photo of an AS being towed by a bicycle. It's what payload is left of the tow vehicle regardless of what that vehicle is.
Well, many will tell you axle and tire ratings are more important than payload ratings.

Nonetheless it is important to know how to accurately measure added payload as mentioned in my post above if that is your criteria. And to realize Airstream hitch weight can be modified as long as it is at least 10% of loaded trailer weight.

And to realize some will pick the criteria and weighing methods that fit the truck they prefer to buy. Whether it's too light a truck or too heavy a truck doesn't matter.

cheryl
Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Interesting discussion...

This is where the Dodge 1500 with the EcoDiesel seems a little deficient.

My 2010 Ford F-150 seems borderline with respect to Payload but the Dodge, despite its wonderfully economical engine, has even less payload capacity. I like having a canopy on the bed of the truck and by the time you have that and the trailer tongue wt added in, my toolboxes and BBQ will have in theory, exceeded the Payload.

-evan

Tags