Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Silverado 1500 w. 6.2, 403hp gas?

I'm working a deal on a 2012 Flying Cloud 30'. EBW is 6400-6500 lbs. My 2011 Silverado quad cab 1500 has the 6.2, 403 HP in it. The torque curve on that engine is about the best there is for a big gas V8. Am I going to be OK with that truck and trailer? Truck is the Texas Edition with the tow package, 3.73 rear, 7 point electric plug and brakes (Firestone air springs installed). It all looks OK on paper but was hoping from some experienced advice. I know I'll be stopping for gas a lot and can handle that. Just want to know I will have the power I need.

thanks
Howard

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I believe you will adequate power since you also have a 6 speed tranny and a 3.73 rear axle, but somebody driving a diesel may think that you are underpowered. I have always worried more about stopping than having adequate power. If I need to drive a little slower because I may be underpowered, that is ok, but I don't want to be underbraked. I don't like those consequences.

Dan

Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You should be fine My Sequoia doesn't quite have that power and pulls my 68 fine. not as heavy but close. I have never slowed down going up the mountains here in Colorado. Though I do have 4.3 rear end. but you will have no trouble other than 10 mpg probably.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Up to about 7000-lbs, IMO, most half-tons are a good choice. Above that, and especially for full-timing, the 1T series trucks are preferred not so much for "power" but for payload capacity in general. Folks who carry too much, so to speak.

It's been observed that a normal ownership pattern for many is one long annual vacation with smaller trips throughout the year, or, about 5k miles of travel. In that instance the half ton is preferred, again, IMO, as it is an easier-to-live-with commuter and grocery-getter than a 1T. Rides more easily when empty, etc. But a truck is hardly the only (much less best) TV for an Airstream.

A properly equipped half-ton will pull any Airstream. How well is as dependent on good hitch rigging, trailer brakes/controller (how well dialled in is the hitch rigging, the brake controller settings, etc) as any wonders about drivetrain choices. In fact these others are more important.

Lose the helper air springs. They're not needed as proper weight distribution hitch settings obivate their use. Otherwise move up in pickup size or source an altogether better tow vehicle than a pickup truck.

Welcome.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I think you have plenty of truck , power wise. But, I think you might consider replacing the hitch to a beefier one. I have a 2011 Silverado half ton and I thought my hitch was the weak point with as much tongue weight as my 28' has, even with weight distribution. Curtis makes one that fits the 1/2 ton and has a much higher capacity. I did not like the tubular type frame of the factory hitch.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Make that "Curt" hitch , not Curtis. I tried to edit but it didn't work. Anyway, the Curt class IV hitch has a tongue weight capacity of 1,000# and 1,200#with WD. Cost is under $200 from www.thehitchstore.com
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Wt. distribution on the 1/2 ton.

Thanks to all for info. While I've got you here, can you give me your thoughts on the best weight distribution/sway control hitch set up. Reese makes one that works with cams. I thought I'd go there instead of the friction type. But new here, so experience with what works best is really welcomed.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Pro Pride.

Sean Woodruff is quite knowledgeable.

The best hitch is always the right decision, and the gulf between the top tier hitches and the second tier is wide & deep.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Howard L!

Welcom to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Thanks to all for info. While I've got you here, can you give me your thoughts on the best weight distribution/sway control hitch set up. Reese makes one that works with cams. I thought I'd go there instead of the friction type. But new here, so experience with what works best is really welcomed.
I have towed with the classic Reese Strait-Line hitch with Dual Cam sway control for many years. When I setup my most recently purchased Argosy, the hitch dealer wanted to sell me the HP Dual Cam . . . this is the newer Dual Cam system that requires drilling the frame of the hitch for the brackets . . . the classic variety Dual Cam Attaches to the frame with two or three U-bolts. The main reason that I chose to stay with the older design is what I read from users of the newer HP Dual Cam . . . I was not willing to have holes drilled into the hitch frame of my Argosy, but after learning that it is much more difficult to properly adjust the newer HP version, I am happy that I have the earlier design on both of my trailers.

With more than 20 years of towing with the Dual Cam Sway Control, I am still a very satisfied customer. The only time that I noticed any instability was during a wind storm in Nebraska . . . there was a side wind in excess of 60 MPH . . . and even then the trailer tracked strait behind my Suburban without sway, it was just the "seat-of-the-pants" feel that the setup was on the verge of experiencing sway. The real key to satisfactory operation of the Dual Cam system is to have weight distribution of the correct rating for your tow vehicle . . . when towing my 6,000 pound Overlander (750 pound tongue weight) with my Suburban, I utilize 600 pound weight distributuion bars . . . with my Cadillac, the 800 pound weight distribution bars are required and the 1,000 pound bars would be a possiblility as the car has the very soft suspension.

Good luck with your investigation and deciision.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags