Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #321
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
took my Excursion into a dealer for appraisal. The Kelly Blue book was thrown out the door, of course and the offer was ridiculous. They had one on their lot already with a very high retail price so that made it even funnier.
I have it listed for sale locally so we will see if it generates any interest.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #322
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
took my Excursion into a dealer for appraisal. The Kelly Blue book was thrown out the door, of course and the offer was ridiculous. They had one on their lot already with a very high retail price so that made it even funnier.
In the past, I have been able to easily and quickly sell clean used cars for NADA trade-in price, because people can get financing for that amount.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #323
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
took my Excursion into a dealer for appraisal.
I drive around as much as anybody and I think I have seen about 4 or 5 Excursions here in Canada over the last 10 years. I know they are common place down south but around here they never took off. Good luck with your sale.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #324
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
In the past, I have been able to easily and quickly sell clean used cars for NADA trade-in price, because people can get financing for that amount.
That is the amount the dealer offered me...$3500. I need 5500 minimum to put towards my next ride. If I don't get it the EXC will stay i my driveway for awhile.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #325
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
That is the amount the dealer offered me...$3500. I need 5500 minimum to put towards my next ride. If I don't get it the EXC will stay i my driveway for awhile.
If the truck is really clean, and low mileage, you may get it. Around here, you can't even get NADA trade-in price on a trade, unless you pay full retail for the new one.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #326
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I drive around as much as anybody and I think I have seen about 4 or 5 Excursions here in Canada over the last 10 years. I know they are common place down south but around here they never took off. Good luck with your sale.
There are not that many Excursions anywhere.
Suburbans outnumber them like 1000 to 1 here and everywhere.
In all my years of camping I remember one being used as a tow vehicle.It is funny that Ford has cars like the 500 that only sold maybe 2 model years and then they have the F150- the highest volume selling vehicle several years-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #327
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
There are not that many Excursions anywhere.
Suburbans outnumber them like 1000 to 1 here and everywhere.
In all my years of camping I remember one being used as a tow vehicle.It is funny that Ford has cars like the 500 that only sold maybe 2 model years and then they have the F150- the highest volume selling vehicle several years-
They are not all that rare where I live....there's two on my same block here.

And for sale too: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/sea...eModel=&excats=
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #328
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lots of them in Fl and ga. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #329
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
One in the classified section too...
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #330
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
They are not all that rare where I live....there's two on my same block here.

And for sale too: san antonio cars & trucks classifieds "excursion" - craigslist=
In comparison to any other largish SUV- Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia, Armada- there really aren't that many-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #331
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There are several EXC for sale here. I think there is a market for them its just smaller and will take a longer time to find a buyer. I have the luxury of time....no rush to sell.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #332
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You might consider some of the vehicle forums out there for classified advertising. I wouldn't have an EX if given to me, but the guys on forums such as PIRATE4X4 won't be convinced otherwise. Like us, they'll travel for the "right" vehicle. Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #333
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
i would think it would be better to run a bit more air in rear, especially if you have stuff in trunk and a trailer hitch, and less or sticker pressure in front..

I know on my impala just around town i put more pressure in front (door says 32 front and rear) and a bit less in rear..

think about a front wheel drive,, motor and trans up front so more weight and empty trunk.

now when we travel with kid, luggage and cargo carrier on rear i keep front at 35 and pump rear to 37. keeps the resistance down and sloop out of steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Interesting. I get the idea. Suppose I have sticker pressure at the rear (which I do), then lower the front by 10%? Or would you be thinking even more?
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #334
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Interesting. I get the idea. Suppose I have sticker pressure at the rear (which I do), then lower the front by 10%? Or would you be thinking even more?
Personally I can't imagine a scenario where I would run less than door sticker in any of the tow vehicle tires, especially when towing.
I'd be inclined to pump the fronts up about 2 or 3 psi from door sticker, and the rear up about 4 or 5 psi as a starting point on a sedan while towing.
Admitting, this is a guess on my part, but I am thinking a reasonable starting point guess.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #335
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Personally I can't imagine a scenario where I would run less than door sticker in any of the tow vehicle tires, especially when towing.
I'd be inclined to pump the fronts up about 2 or 3 psi from door sticker, and the rear up about 4 or 5 psi as a starting point on a sedan while towing.
Admitting, this is a guess on my part, but I am thinking a reasonable starting point guess.
In my years of towing trailers, since the 70's, I've found it always best to run the rear axle tires at maximum allowable pressure (stamped on the side wall of the tire) adjusted cold. Then a good starting point on the front tires is door sticker setting, adjusting up a little if the front axle is heavier than non towing, or driving at highway speeds in hot weather.

The key is to run the rear tires at max for stability and weight carrying capacity, and adjust the front pressure as needed for handling.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #336
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am getting some interest off my ad. I went out and looked at a Volvo XC90, and a Suzuki XL7. So the wheels are in motion.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #337
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
In my years of towing trailers, since the 70's, I've found it always best to run the rear axle tires at maximum allowable pressure (stamped on the side wall of the tire) adjusted cold. Then a good starting point on the front tires is door sticker setting, adjusting up a little if the front axle is heavier than non towing, or driving at highway speeds in hot weather.

The key is to run the rear tires at max for stability and weight carrying capacity, and adjust the front pressure as needed for handling.
Steve,
I too have tried various settings over the years. One thing I found with this Frontier/SOB combo is this: the truck has BFG P metrics on it ( 265/70-16 ) that have a max allowed pressure of 44psi. Door sticker is 35psi. When I first got this trailer, I noticed that at highway speeds, the rear felt.....I am going to say, "mushy" ( side to side ). Not sway, but just sloppy. I increased rear tire pressure to 44 psi ( trailer tires were at max, 50 psi always ). The rear of the truck felt better, but still not perfect, and my thought was I was still getting sidewall flex from the P tires that was more than desirable.

Fast fwd some months, I took the cheap charlie china load range "C" ST tires off the trailer and replaced with load range "D" LT tires, pumped to 65 psi. Instantly, the sloppy feel was gone. So what I had initially thought was sidewall flex in the tow vehicle tires was actually ( apparently ) flex in the trailer tires.

Back to the inflation issues of the truck tires, when the rears were at sidewall max ( 44 psi ), I could physically see the outermost edges of the tires were not even touching the pavement, and as we would expect, I was getting the typical wear-in-the-middle from over inflation. I have now settled on 38 to 40 rear, and 36 to 37 front as the sweet spot for correct feel/handling, hopefully correct wear, and proper running temp. The only thing I have to check running temps is a cheap IR thermometer, so I don't know how "good" the data is I get from it, but so far it temps seem reasonable, even on long hot days on the interstate.

My theory on slightly increasing the front tire pressure from sticker is this: I am running the weight distribution hitch so the front of the truck is at 100% FALR, so my weight is "normal". However, I "think" ( key word there, because I am guessing ) that even though the front is at normal weight, I suspect having a trailer in tow is adding "some" cornering stresses to the steer tires, so I am attempting to compensate for that by adding a bit of air.

So that is my take on it, you, Ron and the rest, feel free to comment on my ideas if you think I am in error.

Back to Mark's setup on the new 300, again, I was guessing that a good place to start is somewhat over sticker pressures, then fine tune from there. With the wide, low profile tires he has, I was simply thinking that max sidewall inflation may cause him to wear in the classic over inflation pattern. For sure though, if the actual weight on the rear tires demands max sidewall pressure, then I would certainly start there, watch all parameters: handling, running temp and wear.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #338
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I don't disagree with anything you say, and support most all of it.

With the trailers I have been towing, the tow vehicles I have been driving, and the tires I have been using on them, I have not seen abnormal tread wear. Actually, I have seen exceptionally even wear, but that's just with my vehicle, my load, and my tires, not to even imply they are all the same.

The fact that you experienced increased stability when you raised your rear tires pressure confirms what I have experienced.

The front tire inflation pressure on a tow vehicle is always an experiment looking for the best handling, IMHO, but I never start, or go below vehicle sticker pressure.

My experience says if the steering feels "heavy", increase pressure, but if it feels too "light" and or "quick", decrease pressure in the front tires.

This, of course, after adjusting the WD equipment for proper weight distribution, and even that can be "played with" to improve handling if needed.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #339
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
from a few year old thread here I found some pix...

The Saturn is towing a 25 footer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura 25.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	205040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624sm.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	205041  

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #340
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Let's not turn this into yet another argument about towing thread, please. That's been done to death in other threads which have all been locked. Got pictures of small TV combinations?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote