Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I finally got the 300 back from the shop with a new receiver and a set of air shocks. It took a week in the shop because of the difficulty in finding a set of shocks or bags that would work. None of the manufacturers have made aftermarket parts for the 2012 yet.

So far, I am happy with the setup, but I have to still get a power plug and brake controller installed. I think the work was done well. I had taken Andy's photos of the receiver to him, and he had already done a Honda Odyssey with this same modification.

Since I have a really nice 12V compressor I use on RV trips, I did not have a compressor installed. I had the air chuck installed in the trunk and I will carry my compressor. The batter is also in the trunk.
Here's the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chloe-1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	203798   Click image for larger version

Name:	chloe-2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	203799  

Name:	chloe-3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	203800   Click image for larger version

Name:	chloe-4.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	203801  

mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
That looks great. I can't wait to hear about your first towing experience with it.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wow! Congrats! Looks great! Good luck - keep us all posted!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The 300 mods and hitch work look good!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
The 300 mods and hitch work look good!!!!!!!!!
I still feel I am in unchartered territory until I get a tow on. The receiver looks really well done, and he has it well secured to the rear suspension cross member. I'm less confident about the shocks. I originally wanted air bags per Andy's recommendation. None are available because this model only has 3.5" dia. springs - they can't be adapted. So we went to the idea of air shocks, but none are made for a 2012. So "Bill" had to scour the manufacturer's catalogs and match-up several dimensions to see what might be adapted. He found 5 and ordered them all. Then he test fit them until he found the best match. Then he fabricated a top mount onto the chassis to fit the shock.

I won't be able to drop the trailer on it for a few more days. Until then, I will be anxious about the enterprise!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Perhaps you could take it to a wide open lot with the existing TV, then hitch up and test where you have lots of space to experiment.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Yeah. My wife is insisting we do 10 laps around the storage lot before even going on the street. I am changing hitches too. That's lying on the garage floor right now. I'll try to get that onto the trailer tomorrow. We live in an area where there are plenty of "test tracks" available. Large parking lots, lonely roads. I really do plan on a lot of testing. For the obvious reason of caution, and to learn as much as possible about the handling before going live. We hope to make some videos of the testing.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #188
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
For me, I kept the 04 V10 that does great with it's 4WD taking me anywhere I want to go. In addition, it pulls the 16' double tandem with rolls of hay loaded out, carries 40 50lb bags of feed or 30 80lb bags of concrete or more, pulls the horse trailer with what ever kind of stock we need moved, and so many other chores around here that must be performed. Besides..........IT'S PAID FOR ..........

What I got for my daily driver that is also paid for, gets 25 to 32 mpg, and is FUN FUN FUN is below.........God bless.........Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Merc I.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	203810  
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Can we not turn this thread into another argument about tow vehicle size, please? That's a discussion for another thread. Let's see actual setups, as requested by the OP.
How about applying for the moderator role?

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I just returned from the storage yard after driving the 300/Flying Cloud combo around the yard! No lights or brake controller yet, so I couldn't escape to the streets. But I feel soooo much better about the components after getting them working.

I was able to drop the trailer on the new EazLift hitch and level the car and trailer out to almost an "exact" condition. The car was about 1/2" higher in the back than front, and the trailer was dead level. The bars were tilted downward about 15deg. using all of the drop chain avail. Without a weight ticket I have incomplete data, but at least visually, things look kosher.

Problems. 1) Yikes, I have to really, REALLY jack the car high to get the chains on. This always makes me nervous and no less now than with the Burb which use to rise to simply scary heights. I just wish there was an invention that would raise bars by themselves, without the need to use the stem jack. Anyway, we got them on.

2) The clearance under the "hitch junk" seems pretty short. I suspect I will be banging the hitch regularly on the pavement.

Good stuff. 1) The car doesn't seem to labor at all pulling off a dead stop. Feels every bit as punchy as the 'Burb. Of course, I only got up to 30MPH in the facility so it's not much of a test. But on some level, in my worst nightmare, I imagined pressing the gas peddle and feeling some anemic response. Nope! 2) The EazLift doesn't make the infamous grinding noise of the Equalizer hitch. This is especially true in tight turns which we looked at closely for any binding or who knows what. At the sharpest angle, the inside bar is limp enough to move with a foot push, the outside bar is absolutely rigid. 3) I started with 90# in the air shocks and did not have to add any more air after it was hitched. I think the implication is that the WD was very effective.

Questions for the experts: There is no power socket on the Curt receiver and no obvious way to add one. I imagine then my power will be a female connector attached to a pigtail in the trunk? And I just close the trunk lid over the wire? Or?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
What??? No pictures?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #192
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
My setup may only be considered small in my region (south Texas), where full-sized heavy-duty pickups are the rule.

The X5 is a medium-sized car-based SUV, with a curb weight of about 5200 lbs, 191 in long, 116 in wheelbase, and hitch/tow ratings of 600/6000 lbs.

The Sport 22 weighs about 3400 lbs loaded.

We use a Hensley Arrow hitch setup, transferred from previous TV/TT combination.

The diesel gets 15-18 MPG towing, 24 around town, and 29 highway when not towing. We have found it to be a terrific, real life combination.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I was wondering about an X5 as a tow vehicle- it won't work for a Classic 30...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Good news. Also correct about the pigtail in the trunk. You just close the lid over it.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #195
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
..... There is no power socket on the Curt receiver and no obvious way to add one. I imagine then my power will be a female connector attached to a pigtail in the trunk? And I just close the trunk lid over the wire? Or?
Why couldn't you just attach the typical "socket holding bent piece of sheet metal" to the cross piece of your hitch ? On mine it's welded on, but there is no reason why it couldn't be held on with a couple of self drilling bolts. Would a photo of mine make it more clear ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I just returned from the storage yard after driving the 300/Flying Cloud combo around the yard! No lights or brake controller yet, so I couldn't escape to the streets. But I feel soooo much better about the components after getting them working.

I was able to drop the trailer on the new EazLift hitch and level the car and trailer out to almost an "exact" condition. The car was about 1/2" higher in the back than front, and the trailer was dead level. The bars were tilted downward about 15deg. using all of the drop chain avail. Without a weight ticket I have incomplete data, but at least visually, things look kosher.

Problems. 1) Yikes, I have to really, REALLY jack the car high to get the chains on. This always makes me nervous and no less now than with the Burb which use to rise to simply scary heights. I just wish there was an invention that would raise bars by themselves, without the need to use the stem jack. Anyway, we got them on.

2) The clearance under the "hitch junk" seems pretty short. I suspect I will be banging the hitch regularly on the pavement.

Good stuff. 1) The car doesn't seem to labor at all pulling off a dead stop. Feels every bit as punchy as the 'Burb. Of course, I only got up to 30MPH in the facility so it's not much of a test. But on some level, in my worst nightmare, I imagined pressing the gas peddle and feeling some anemic response. Nope! 2) The EazLift doesn't make the infamous grinding noise of the Equalizer hitch. This is especially true in tight turns which we looked at closely for any binding or who knows what. At the sharpest angle, the inside bar is limp enough to move with a foot push, the outside bar is absolutely rigid. 3) I started with 90# in the air shocks and did not have to add any more air after it was hitched. I think the implication is that the WD was very effective.

Questions for the experts: There is no power socket on the Curt receiver and no obvious way to add one. I imagine then my power will be a female connector attached to a pigtail in the trunk? And I just close the trunk lid over the wire? Or?

I was really looking forward to your initial report since I am a strong advocate of doing more with less and I admire the process you went thru to make your "Streamin" a top notch, safe event. I am pretty sure you have already considered the following so my comments are most likely just supporting what you have already done. The tuning of the balance will be more delicate than with your Suburban as I am sure you have already discovered and maintaining the same delta at your front and rear wheel wells, unhitched vs hitched, will give you a fighting chance of being balanced and suffice until you get to the scales. You may even be OK already given your comments. As you know, the delta is determined by the force exerted by the chains, and regardless of the system used, the science is the same. The impact of the air shocks is a secondary adjustment that should not impact your initial balancing act but may require tuning once you feel the ride results from road activity. I would ask Andy T about the method he used for the power socket and your comments on the power efficiency are not surprising in the least. I have no experience with the EasLift hitch. My Jeeps have used a regular Reese wd hitch, a Reese dual cam, and a Hensley. I can't tell the performance difference between the Reese dual cam and the Hensley. Great job and good luck with the finishing touches. Jim
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Why couldn't you just attach the typical "socket holding bent piece of sheet metal" to the cross piece of your hitch ? On mine it's welded on, but there is no reason why it couldn't be held on with a couple of self drilling bolts. Would a photo of mine make it more clear ?
I know what you mean. Maybe. I'll look around and see what's out there. The one's I see on other vehicles are usually bent!

Steve H. Oh, don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures in a few days!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #198
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I was wondering about an X5 as a tow vehicle- it won't work for a Classic 30...
I tend to agree. But we do have a forum member named withidl who has other thoughts. This is his setup.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That looks like my trailer...
There is a used X5 on a car lot here.
I have also thought about a used Porsche Cayenne. I know a lady who has one now and she gets a new car every couple of years.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is also a forum member towing with a Honda Odyssey. That's what my wife wants next.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955