Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #381
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Daytime running lights can be annoying to others if you are trying to hook up in the dark to leave a campground. Your lights shine into other rvs. All you have to do is turn your headlights on if you do not have daytime running lights. Jim
Just push your parking brake pedal part way down & they shut off.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #382
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
My 51 MPG tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I have heard all about the VW Diesel tow vehicles, and other smaller ones.

How about showing your set up with one of these smaller rides?

I am looking into replacing my V10 Excursion with something drastically smaller. My Overlander is about 4500 lbs.

If I could do it with a VW diesel I would be very pleased. Its the non-towing daily around town driving of the EXC that is killing us.
I'm late getting in on this one. Pictured is our 2001 VW Golf TDI. It is my wife's daily driver. It has gotten a best of 51.4 MPG, but only about 47.2 for daily commutes. I've installed Euro spec larger injectors and a Rocketchip Stage 2 Plus tune on it. We recently bought a '69 Apache Eagle camper in Alabama. I checked mileage going over to pick it up, got 48.7 MPG. Filled up before towing the camper home and got 45.5 MPG towing the Apache. The Apache weighs 450 lbs, no wind drag, sleeps 4 adults and can sleep an additional 2 children. After I redo it and fit it with A/C, we hope to use it for some particularly longer trips...Key West, New England in the Fall, camping on coast of Maine. We have three TDI's (but plan to sell one of them)...any of which can be set up to tow easily. The most roomy is our 1996 Passat TDI, that gets 51 MPG on the daily commute. I just haven't found a Craigslist priced hitch for it yet.

Thanks, G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golf_Apache.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	205423  
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #383
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My sprinter and Chevy pickups had no way to turn off the daylight lights. Canada is different on some of these issues. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #384
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
More thoughts on tow vehicles/daily drivers

I've been driving VW TDI's since 2006 and they have served me well. So well, that I'll be driving some sort of VW TDI from now on. There simply isn't another car that can give you this kind of return for your money....hybrid or otherwise. Looking at "real world" hybrid mileage, the initial outlay cost, then the cost of battery replacement that will fall out of warranty and anyone can understand the math. I've put a combined 248,000 miles on the three of them. (the most recent, a 1996, only 7,000 miles, purchased only for more legroom for my carpoolers). The last time I calculated fuel savings, even considering the higher diesel cost, YOU SAVE approximately $1354.00 every 10,000 miles you drive compared to a vehicle that gets 15 MPG on gas. That's 135.00 savings for every 1,000 miles driven, $13.50 saved for every 100 miles driven. My 74 mile commute costs me $5.18 per day. Using the nearly 250K driven, the bottom line is that we have saved 25 x 1354.00=$33,850 compared to a 15 MPG vehicle. I've modified and chipped our TDI's, they put out more than 100 ft lbs of torque more than stock, have Koni shocks/struts, Eibach springs, Audi TT control arm bushings and are fun to drive. I test drove a 2011 BMW recently that didn't feel much different than my Jetta. We're saving on the vehicles that we drive 99% of the time...so whenever I tow our '67 Caravel or when we used to go somewhere in our B190 Airstream, I never worried about fuel mileage...although they both got good for what they were. With the $33,850 saved....you could easily justify either "keeping" your existing tow vehicle or buying an older low mileage Suburban. Lucius and Danielle have one of the nicest tow vehicles I've ever seen...it is a slightly older, low mileage, 3/4 ton Suburban...I don't recall but I would guess around a 2000. They strictly use it for a tow vehicle and store with camper when not using. In my opinion, this is how a tow vehicle should be used. It doesn't matter what year theirs is, there are a lot of older, low mileage Suburbans out there. They are easy to service on the road, reliable and cheap to insure.

More on our other tow vehicle in another post.

Thanks, G
Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #385
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Daytime running lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
My sprinter and Chevy pickups had no way to turn off the daylight lights. Canada is different on some of these issues. Jim
Most Chevy's will disable by one click of the parking brake. The Sprinter will likely have a relay you can pull. Just Google "how to disable daytime running light on my Sprinter"

Be sure to put the search string in quotes.

Thanks, G
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #386
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
G you just have way too many vehicles...LOL

Yes I wanted something smaller that could tow my Overlander, but in my allocated cash price range there just wasn't much, unless I went for the Chevy Impala idea AndrewT suggested. I simply can't use a sedan. I carry a Marshall amp and other music gear and sticking it in the trunk is not an option.
I am happy at this point with my choice, but it remains to be seen what kind of mileage I will get towing the AS. I am looking at a trans cooler and maybe rear air bags ..just want to try one trip first to see how it does for us. I am 3000 lobs lighter and with a way smaller profile. I reiterate that the EXC was one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of them.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #387
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
Most Chevy's will disable by one click of the parking brake. The Sprinter will likely have a relay you can pull. Just Google "how to disable daytime running light on my Sprinter"

Be sure to put the search string in quotes.

Thanks, G
There's also a switch on the dash for that.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #388
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not on the vehicle I owned. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #389
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Why can't we get back on track?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #390
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:

Yes I wanted something smaller that could tow my Overlander, but in my allocated cash price range there just wasn't much, unless I went for the Chevy Impala idea AndrewT suggested. I simply can't use a sedan. I carry a Marshall amp and other music gear and sticking it in the trunk is not an option.
I am happy at this point with my choice, but it remains to be seen what kind of mileage I will get towing the AS. I am looking at a trans cooler and maybe rear air bags ..just want to try one trip first to see how it does for us. I am 3000 lobs lighter and with a way smaller profile. I reiterate that the EXC was one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of them.
Alan, I have a friend with a Trailblazer that has nearly 200K on it, bought it new, ate dinner with them recently, they advised it is still running great. I'm sure it will serve you well. The few people I've known with Excursions thought highly of them as well.

I understand what you mean about having to have something with room and versatility...sadly I'll be selling my TDI Jetta soon because it is a sedan. Our Golf is basically the same car but has the hatchback and fold down seats. I've carried things in there that you wouldn't believe.

G
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #391
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Happy your search is over. I find it a bit ironic though, that a thread on finding a "small" tow vehicle concluded by finding 4600# curb weight SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
It's all relative, he had an Excursion.
.... our last change was from a 4,200lb curb weight vehicle to one of 3,300lbs.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #392
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
found this on the GMT forum.. its 4500lbs minimum...
there is a guy on there who tows a 7500 lb camper..a bit over I would say
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bigtrailer.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	205434  
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #393
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I want to add that I really wanted a diesel Jetta..but the numbers just weren't in my favor.
I expect to be happy with this Chevy for awhile. Meanwhile I will get my son through college and then see what happens...
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #394
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
More pics of "smaller" tow vehicles/tow vehicle options

Obviously Alan has secured a tow vehicle that he is happy with but in line with this thread...My other tow vehicle is a '94 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, LT1 Corvette engine, 4L60, factory towing package, 2.93 Limited Slip, (this gear allows towing in 3rd gear). This vehicle has gotten a best of 24.7 MPG on regular unleaded while not towing. Pretty good MPG for a 4,480 lb car. This car is an OBD1 car, the '95 and '96's were OBDII and I've heard they get 26-27 MPG. They are great and very well built cars. Mine is used 99.9% for towing as I usually pull it and the Airstream in the garage when returning from a trip and they stay.
I still see these cars pop up for sale with really low mileage on them. They are well built cars, have a boxed frame and my '94 stickered for over 30K when new...the most expensive car Buick made in '94...point is, Buick made them well. Another car that is inexpensive to insure due to it's age.

Thanks, G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caravel_woody.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	205435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Woody_wagon.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	205436  

Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #395
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
One other honorable mention for tow vehicle/daily driver

One other honorable mention for tow vehicle/daily driver/something with room inside it is the BMW X5 35d. It is basically a BMW SUV with a 6,000 lb tow capacity but the true heart of this vehicle is the twin turbo inline six diesel powerplant that makes 425 ft lbs tq at 1,750 RPM coupled to a ZF six speed automatic...the first six speed auto and the first to be able to lock up the converter in all forward gears. These get 26 mpg on the road...better if tuned. I recently drove two different 335D's (sedan car) with the same power plant. Driving them feels like driving a sixties muscle car. I have buddies out of state with them with tuned versions that are making nearly 600 ft lbs of tq and getting 39 MPG. Now that's a musclecar! Bone stock, they run 14.0 @ 105 MPH in the quarter mile. Tuned, they run mid 12's; have a top speed of 178 MPH...not bad for a 39 MPG car. One of these 335D's are on my short list.
2012 BMW X5 35d vs. 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Thanks, G
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #396
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Alan,

You're exactly right...since you guys were last here, I've sold two...I'm currently in negotiations on selling 3 more. I got an email today on one of those three saying that they were sending me a deposit asap. One of the others, the guy is just waiting for the weather to clear and on the final one, the TDI Jetta, a friend out of state is interested in it but wants to sell his car first. I'm moving in the right direction! I've currently got one spot rented out in my shop and another person has committed to storing another car in one of the other spots.

Thanks, G
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #397
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
That wagon is a terrific car..and looks very cool towing the trailer.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #398
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
One other honorable mention for tow vehicle/daily driver/something with room inside it is the BMW X5 35d. It is basically a BMW SUV with a 6,000 lb tow capacity but the true heart of this vehicle is the twin turbo inline six diesel powerplant that makes 425 ft lbs tq at 1,750 RPM coupled to a ZF six speed automatic...
This year the X5 35d gets the new 8 speed ZF. Mileage improves correspondingly.

Also, while BMW states a 6000 lb tow capacity in NA, in Europe there is an optional 3500 kg/7700 lb no cost increased tow rating option. I suspect it not being available in North America has more to do with lawyers than engineering.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #399
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This year the X5 35d gets the new 8 speed ZF. Mileage improves correspondingly.

Also, while BMW states a 6000 lb tow capacity in NA, in Europe there is an optional 3500 kg/7700 lb no cost increased tow rating option. I suspect it not being available in North America has more to do with lawyers than engineering.

Jeff
Jeff,

True on the eight speed but unfortunately BMW isn't using the same engine configuration after 2011 and the new diesel makes less torque and is a single turbo version instead of the previous high torque, twin turbos that were two different sizes. BMW claims it's better but enthusiasts say the opposite. If I'm lucky enough to get in a position to get a 335D, it will be a 2011...the last of the good ones which were 2009-2011. It'll also be a CPO that has a better warranty than new BMW's, 100,000 miles/six years...covers everything, or as they say, even the cup holder. All lucky for me, as I will be lucky to afford a CPO BMW and certainly couldn't afford a new one. If I were to get one, I would continue to drive my TDI VW on my daily commute. Both because I'm driving a car like that in Atlanta traffic and am not going to have 3 carpoolers riding in it daily. With that in mind, the car should have low miles on it for years to come. I'm not into SUV's per se anyway but do think the X5 diesel is a neat vehicle for someone wanting the best of both worlds. If I was that person, I'd get a 2011 in it too.

Thanks, G
Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #400
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
My understanding of the BMW CPO warranty is that it is not in any way as comprehensive as the new vehicle warranty. Apart from the deductible, it has a list of exclusions. The extended warranty is not offered in Canada (unless we buy a CPO vehicle) but in the US you can purchase it with a new BMW, the same warranty as if you had bought a used CPO vehicle.

I didn't see the single variable geometry turbo as a big change from the two turbo configuration, but because of that change I won't be buying one of the first ones. I do like the broader torque band of the new N57. I expect durability will be reasonable given that in other than North American markets they are offering it in the M50d at something like 376 hp/550 ft lbs. I just want them to practice making them with the North American emissions package before I get one.

Cheers

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote