Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #267
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It's s looking great. So glad you're happy with your first test run.

My chains hang low too, not low enough to drag when straight, but they do in tight turns.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #268
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
very nice set up and glad it pulss strong and drives well. If you could share what mileage you get next time out that would be great to know

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #269
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
We finally completed the C-300 TV and actually had it out on the road this afternoon. We did a 12 mile loop around town staying off the freeway, but hitting 55MPH on the parkways. The brake controller worked exactly as it did on the 'Burb with only a mild setting change. The ride seemed very good. Plenty of power on launch, and the braking seemed fine. It's quite and smooth. We took it up a mild grade and it is great to have 8 speeds to choose. The paddle shift in manual mode allows you to get just the right RPM for any speed.

As for transmission temperature it stayed around 198F, but it wasn't much of a challenge. It seemed to be the same with and without the trailer. I haven't connected the EazLift anti-sway friction device yet. That I'll do next week. But around the parkways at 55MPH I didn't notice anything at all unusual.

Some pics attached.
Looks great. I know you have put a lot of time and research into the new combo.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after you get it all dialed in on the scales, and then again after a year or so of towing in the mountainous West part of the country where you live.

This weekend I was talking with a club member at a rally who recently switched from a older 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel towing a 32' to a late model Toyota Tundra. He had no negative things to say, but I did notice when he pulled in it appeared the WD hitch was not right yet. His only response when I asked how it handled the small hill of South Texas was, "That thing is busy!" His 3/4 ton Diesel was a manual transmission.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #270
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
I've got the same eng/trans in my Jeep. No engine or trans temp difference towing or not towing. I have a smaller trailer but have towed it maybe 3,000 miles with the Jeep so far. BTW, it gets slightly better fuel economy than my 2007 RAV4 which was a good bit smaller and 1200 pounds lighter.

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #271
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
mst... Really nice!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #272
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdenny View Post
I've got the same eng/trans in my Jeep. No engine or trans temp difference towing or not towing. I have a smaller trailer but have towed it maybe 3,000 miles with the Jeep so far. BTW, it gets slightly better fuel economy than my 2007 RAV4 which was a good bit smaller and 1200 pounds lighter.
Does your Jeep have an actual temp gauge, or is it like the one in my Nissan that is essentially an "idiot gauge" ?
If I went by the factory gauge in the Nissan, I would think the water temp is the same "all the time running" ( after warmup ). The ScanGage2 tells the real story though is somewhat different.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
I'm hoping this is true for me, because the non-towing temp often hits 200F. In the short 12 miles test which did include a few hills, the temp was steady. I pushed it very hard on every launch, to try to encourage a temp rise.

As for mileage, yes, I'll be reporting it when we make our first camping trip. Something we tend to do a lot is touring after we get there. For instance, at our Death Valley outing in December, we drove maybe 200 miles without the trailer. So, in the Burb, that is 16 gallons of gas. In the new 300, I expect it will be no more than 8 or 10 gallons. It all adds up. I am usually surprised to see my total gas bill after a camping trip!

And then of course, this is my daily driver. So, that will be a substantial savings in gas.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thats the best part.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #275
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Does your Jeep have an actual temp gauge, or is it like the one in my Nissan that is essentially an "idiot gauge" ?
If I went by the factory gauge in the Nissan, I would think the water temp is the same "all the time running" ( after warmup ). The ScanGage2 tells the real story though is somewhat different.
It has a regular engine coolant temp gage like lots of cars. It can also display on the digital screen engine oil temp, trans oil temp, individual tire pressures and a few other items.

Trans temp is always around 200. Lowest I remember is 195, highest 203. I have a fuzzy recollection of oil temp being 175.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
My transmission in my 2012 Chevy 2500 quit when the temps reached 250! Have to double check, but I think that my DirectLink shows trans temp as it is I hooked into the computer plug
Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had an F250 diesel that would overheat the trans after towing. Fluid would pour out on the driveway. It was a problematic vehicle. 1997 model
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I went back and reread this whole thread. A lot of eye opening information.
My list again:
Volvo XC70 or 90 or other Volvo suitable for towing. I would consider older Volvos (if reasonably low miles) the V70 and Xc are ok too.
Suzuki XL7 or other SUV on that platform.
Jetta or Golf TDI
Chrysler 300
Dodge Charger or Magnum or Intrepid
Audi A6 & Wagon
Jeep Diesel or Hemi
Acura MDX...all around here under $10k have 200,000 miles on them though
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Personally speaking, I don't like the Acura much. It's surprisingly cramped inside and feels much smaller than it is. I can't even stretch my legs in the passenger seat.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #280
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Update-I just looked at the temps after driving (not towing) for an hour, 75F ambient temp. Trans 201, engine oil 199.

Quote:
It has a regular engine coolant temp gage like lots of cars. It can also display on the digital screen engine oil temp, trans oil temp, individual tire pressures and a few other items.

Trans temp is always around 200. Lowest I remember is 195, highest 203. I have a fuzzy recollection of oil temp being 175.