Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Those who opt for "bigger/heavier" TV's are counting on isolation from road feedback, directly and indirectly as a comfort that all is well. A smaller TV -- what is or was conventional for this TT type since the 1950's -- will contrast more sharply with the solo ride than the over large TV's. Even more, then, would we wish our initial set-up to be exacting (hitting it first time somewhat irrelevant to this) so that motions, sounds, etc, be close to what we will work toward it to be.
That's a very interesting thought right there. As to the overall program, I probably can't be as precise as you first described for the simple reason of cost. The modifications I'm doing alone are stretching my budget, and buying a lot of precision instruments is not in the cards for me. For instance, I have TPMS in the car and the trailer, and I have a nice digital pressure gauge. That will have to do for measuring tire pressures.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #226

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papou View Post
~~
When I purchase this SUV, I ask Andy is advice about the tires already installed on this vehicle. Mounted on steel wheels the GENERAL TIRE brand size (P245/70 R17) is not more than OK… At that time, his suggestion was to change them to the “optional” P255/50R20XL. But my Chevrolet dealer asks me close to $4,000 to purchase these (new tires on magnesium wheels) and I have to sell by myself the original tires come with the Traverse. ~~
Remember that you're not compelled to use the OEM Chevrolet wheels. When the General-brand tires that came with your Traverse get worn, you can order a wheel-tire package from a company like TireRack or from a local tire shop at very likely a huge savings compared to the parts price of the OEM wheels from Chevrolet. Then you'll have the original steel wheels available for your winter tires.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #227
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Remember that you're not compelled to use the OEM Chevrolet wheels. When the General-brand tires that came with your Traverse get worn, you can order a wheel-tire package from a company like TireRack or from a local tire shop at very likely a huge savings compared to the parts price of the OEM wheels from Chevrolet. Then you'll have the original steel wheels available for your winter tires.
I purchased 4 GM steel wheels (with TPMS) late autumn 2011 with winter tires. By law we have to put here winter tires from mid december to mid march. From then I have 2 set of GM steel wheels with TPMS. One set with winter tires and one set with General 4 seasons tires. My solution will be to change the General (balloon) tires when they become used, purchase 4 new wheels (OEM), new good tires and sell one set of GM steel whells. That will happen somewhere in 2-3 years; I have only 26,000 miles on this car. Or possibly change for a new vehicle... Smaller size?
Michel
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #228
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Michel
I thought I would post this here so others can benefit from it. On the Traverse you do not need to go to 20" Rims, just a better 17" tire. The tire we usually use is a P235/65R x 17" XL (extra load). The one I would suggest is a Bridgestone Dueler HP High Performance summer tire (since you have snows for winter).

This tire will make a dramatic improvement in handling and steering feel. As well you should see a little better fuel economy due to less rolling resistance and some additional power. The downside is a very slightly firmer ride and the speedometer will read 5% fast so it will read 63 MPH when you are traveling at 60. This can be calibrated with an aftermarket performance chip but most don't worry about it.

It will seem like a completely different car with this change.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
good info Andrew. It is helpful to have tires that can handle the load for sure. My Excursion has E rated tires, and it handles great with the 26' trailer.

Is the Traverse the same vehicle as the Suzuki XL7? Saturn Aura too?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #230
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
The 235/65 Xl handles better for a few reasons, one the sidewalls are much firmer than the GM spec tires, The narrower tire fits the rim better so there is less room for the wheel to sway within the tire and the summer tread is more directional.

The Traverse has the same transaxle as teh XL7 and Aura but is on a different platform. The XL7 is on the previous GMC Terrain platform the Aura is on the Malibu etc platform, The Saturn Outlook is the same vehicle as the Traverse. The XL7 is a little less robust than the Aura or Travese platforms. It would be fine with your 26'.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #231
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Xl7

Here is the only picture I have of an XL7 but wrong kind of trailer. We used a Hensley on this combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	147-4772_IMG (Small).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	204154  

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #232
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thanks for the photo. Right on topic. Jim
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #233
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Andy: what do you get for gas mileage towing with those Caravans?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #234
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am looking for an XL7, and hope to find a decent low mileage example. Putting the EXC up for sale shortly.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #235
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Michel
I thought I would post this here so others can benefit from it. On the Traverse you do not need to go to 20" Rims, just a better 17" tire. The tire we usually use is a P235/65R x 17" XL (extra load). The one I would suggest is a Bridgestone Dueler HP High Performance summer tire (since you have snows for winter).

This tire will make a dramatic improvement in handling and steering feel.
It will seem like a completely different car with this change.

Andrew T
It always amazes me how small changes like this make such a huge, positive improvement. Why can't the auto engineers figure this out??
Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #236
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
It always amazes me how small changes like this make such a huge, positive improvement. Why can't the auto engineers figure this out??
A huge positive improvement for what ? Towing ? Well yes then.

But I suspect they in marketing know that 98% of their consumers are not towing, and would prefer a soft ( mushy ) ride. So they choose tires accordingly.
Look at how many light duty trucks are fitted with P metric tires. They know that most of these 1/2 ton trucks never pull anything, and seldom haul more that few bags of mulch home from Lowe's.
Let's face it, in the overall traffic stream, those of us who tow are the minority. Those who tow with "small tow vehicles" are an even smaller minority.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #237
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Fuel Mileage with Caravan's

If you keep the speed down to 65 MPH they run 26-28 Miles per US gallon. Towing and Airstream at 62 MPH 100 KPH they run 12-13.5 MPG. If you run them faster towing say 70 MPH they will drop off to 10-11 MPG.

So not as good as sedan but great considering how large this vehicle is inside.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #238
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
With the Odyssey I get an average of 14-16mpg at a steady 60mph on the highway.