Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #211
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
What year was the Odyssey? At a steady 60, my 2008 Touring runs at approx. 2300rpm, only changing gears on inclines. I even get a fair amount of eco-mode, where the engine shuts two cylinders down, running on four instead of all six.

It would be nice to have four wheel drive and a bit more low end torque (I got stuck on wet grass last year) but at typical towing speeds I've never perceived a lack of power.

I will be changing tires this spring to Goodyear Assurance Triple Thread 235/55, following Andy's recommendation. I can keep the current rims, so it won't be a fortune.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #212
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I just came from the Toronto RV Show where the Can Am display was really busy. The attached photos show some support for what others are doing . Also had Jetta all hooked up to a Bambi. Young and old having a real close look. JimClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390155022.520962.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	757.3 KB
ID:	203940Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390155046.606204.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	712.5 KB
ID:	203941

Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
the 300 set up looks good. What do you mean you have to jack the car very high to attach the chains? Where do they attach, underneath?
Here's a picture. To get those chains attached once the car is on the ball, you have to raise the back end of the car, which brings the far end of the bar closer to the trailer frame. That's how the WD force is applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaz-Lift2.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	203942  
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Hey, that's my car, Jim! Thanks for posting that. I like Andy's hitch head. I can see he got the ball closer to the car body. I will look into that.

Slowmover - - thanks for that detail. I am not sure I can do it that well - that precisely. But I appreciate the details. I am anxious to see what my cruder approach will yield. I should have some numbers by the end of the week. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #215
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Chuck question about my preferred towing vehicle

Two answers!
HONDA ODYSSEY:
- Lower center of gravity
- Quality of the product
- Road handling better stability with both Airstream trailers (19 and 23)
- Mounted on P235/65 R17 at the factory
- Day to day usage “car like” vehicle

CHEVROLET TRAVERSE:
- Towing package feature (6 speed transmission & 2,500 RPM gear shift)
- My wife and I feel “safer” with a rig “inside” to the max allowable ratings weight of the manufacturer.

Attached pictures of Odyssey with my previous Bambi Safari 19SE. This rig was the “perfect” match. We enjoy it very well. We replace it by a FC23FB mainly because of the rear corner bed of the Bambi…
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PHOTOS.pdf (2.49 MB, 98 views)
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #216
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Papou,
Bon jour. Great report. I really liked your Weight measurement table and I am going to try and reproduce it on a spread sheet. I keep the same weight measurement records but they are not nearly as easy to understand as yours. The one change I will add is on the clearance measurement on the vehicle which I will put at the wheel wells. I am making this measurement several times a trip and use it to keep from getting completely out of wack as we add and remove stuff from either the Jeep or the Airstream. Thanks for the contribution. Jim
Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #217
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Jim,
It is a pleasure! For instance this measurement table is a basic Excel file imported in a Visio drawing. If you want it, I can posted it in an another reply...

Papou Michel
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #218
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Andy,
The Honda Odyssey was a 2006 EX version. I sold it because this vehicle experience some transmission problem. The manufacturer change the transmission the year before that I sold it under extended warranty (2011). Hunting problem (fish tailing) in gear change 3rd and 4th.

Papou Michel
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #219
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papou View Post
Jim,
It is a pleasure! For instance this measurement table is a basic Excel file imported in a Visio drawing. If you want it, I can posted it in an another reply...

Papou Michel

Wow! That would be excellent. Thank you. I am nor familiar with Visio but my son is so I should be able to get myself up to speed. Jim
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Good Day Jim,

You will find attached the Excel file of the weight table as discuss earlier.
I am not a Visio guru, but with the Windows version that I have, I cannot find any method to import an Excel filled template into a Visio drawing.
Below my “recipe” used to do so:
- Fill the Excel cells with your numbers.
- Save the result in PDF (“Print” as PDF file.)
- Open this PDF file and save it in PNG or JPEG (I do this step on my MacBook. Windows Acrobat Reader cannot do that, but in the Mac OS platform you can do it with the Apple’s factory software package included with the computer).
- Import this file and sized it properly in your drawing.
Attached Files
File Type: xls WEIGHT_TABLE.xls (36.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #221
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Papou, thank you. I will fiddle around with it and see if I can make it work. Jim
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #222
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Hey, that's my car, Jim! Thanks for posting that. I like Andy's hitch head. I can see he got the ball closer to the car body. I will look into that.

Slowmover - - thanks for that detail. I am not sure I can do it that well - that precisely. But I appreciate the details. I am anxious to see what my cruder approach will yield. I should have some numbers by the end of the week. Thanks!
The idea being that the baseline -- the most accurate representation -- be one from which we may start our travels . . and then to modify based on those original numbers.

Yes, tire pressure rise will be temp & altitude problematic, for instance. But a 10% rise after 1.5-hrs driving always needs correction.

The benefit of trying to be exact from the beginning is with what shooters would call muscle memory: We want our actions behind the wheel to be without interference, which we might call interpretation. Executive decisions take too long when it matters.

I've stated the obvious, but found it fruitful to search out what appears to be best practice. Numbers gove us a baseline.

And they most certainly help when it comes time to solve a problem. Boondockdad has an excellent thread from a couple of years ago illustrative of this is the problem tire pressure, hitch rigging or . . . ?
Acquired numbers in all these areas keep the decision-tree short for both the owner and those who would advise them.

We're in it for the long haul, are we not?

Look forward to what you find, and thanks for including us.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #223
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post

The idea being that the baseline -- the most accurate representation -- be one from which we may start our travels . . and then to modify based on those original numbers.

Yes, tire pressure rise will be temp & altitude problematic, for instance. But a 10% rise after 1.5-hrs driving always needs correction.

The benefit of trying to be exact from the beginning is with what shooters would call muscle memory: We want our actions behind the wheel to be without interference, which we might call interpretation. Executive decisions take too long when it matters.

I've stated the obvious, but found it fruitful to search out what appears to be best practice. Numbers gove us a baseline.

And they most certainly help when it comes time to solve a problem. Boondockdad has an excellent thread from a couple of years ago illustrative of this: is the problem tire pressure, hitch rigging or . . . ? Acquired numbers in all these areas keep the decision-tree short for both the owner and those who would advise them.

We're in it for the long haul, are we not? If so, it is not ever "set and forget" as being meticulous from the begining makes for much easier changes later, experimental or not.

Those who opt for "bigger/heavier" TV's are counting on isolation from road feedback, directly and indirectly as a comfort that all is well. A smaller TV -- what is or was conventional for this TT type since the 1950's -- will contrast more sharply with the solo ride than the over large TV's. Even more, then, would we wish our initial set-up to be exacting (hitting it first time somewhat irrelevant to this) so that motions, sounds, etc, be close to what we will work toward it to be.

Finally, the full range of adjustments from solo to towing, for the TV, and hitch rigging + brake control settings for the TT will be small. But what is that range, first?

Look forward to what you find, and thanks for including us.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #224
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
More pictures please ,we are off topic again. Jim