Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Why couldn't you just attach the typical "socket holding bent piece of sheet metal" to the cross piece of your hitch ? On mine it's welded on, but there is no reason why it couldn't be held on with a couple of self drilling bolts. Would a photo of mine make it more clear ?
I know what you mean. Maybe. I'll look around and see what's out there. The one's I see on other vehicles are usually bent!

Steve H. Oh, don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures in a few days!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I was wondering about an X5 as a tow vehicle- it won't work for a Classic 30...
I tend to agree. But we do have a forum member named withidl who has other thoughts. This is his setup.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That looks like my trailer...
There is a used X5 on a car lot here.
I have also thought about a used Porsche Cayenne. I know a lady who has one now and she gets a new car every couple of years.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is also a forum member towing with a Honda Odyssey. That's what my wife wants next.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #201
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
---Without a weight ticket I have incomplete data, but at least visually, things look kosher.
When you do get a weight ticket -- how will you know how much load should be added to each axle.

For example, some TV manufacturers specify that the front axle load should be the same unhitched and hitched with WD applied.
Some say the WDH should be adjusted to restore 50% of the load which was removed from the front axle.

Does Chrysler have a specification for before and after front axle loads?
Did Andrew T provide a recommendation for how to adjust the WDH based on axle loads?

Ron
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #202
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Ron,
What Streamside said in his thread, "Winter doldrums and thoughts......" Jim
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #203
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
How to know when you have the weights right

Some owner's manuals have specific recommendations, but even when they do, I'm not convinced the manuals tell the whole story.

My vehicle's manual said to adjust the WD hitch to get the front fender height back to the same as without the trailer. I did that at first, and also checked on a CAT scale, where my front axle load was within 20 pounds of the weight without the trailer.

Driving this way, the rig was somewhat squirrely. I went to one chain link tighter, and the rig drove better, but still not as well as I wanted.

After that, I changed brands of hitch, also changing to 1400 pound bars from 1000 pound bars. The installer of the new hitch set it up for 3/4 inch lower front fender height. The front axle is now heavier than when unhitched, by about 200 pounds. Experimentation shows that easing off the chain tightness even a little degrades the stability.

So I am convinced I'm better off with my weight adjusted differently than what the manual says.

(Sorry, my TV is not "small"; it's a short wheelbase 1/2 ton Yukon).
Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
When you do get a weight ticket -- how will you know how much load should be added to each axle.

For example, some TV manufacturers specify that the front axle load should be the same unhitched and hitched with WD applied.
Some say the WDH should be adjusted to restore 50% of the load which was removed from the front axle.

Does Chrysler have a specification for before and after front axle loads?
Did Andrew T provide a recommendation for how to adjust the WDH based on axle loads?

Ron
My car comes with no towing specifications to speak of. I will have to rely on a kind of intuitive and empirical method. I will try to balance three measures:
- Finder heights equal to the unhitched measures
- Under the gross axle weight on both ends
- 30% to 45% of the tongue weight transferred to the front axle

Then I will see if there are any ride or handling issues.
Do you think that is a reasonable plan?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #205
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Sorry I have been away from this thread for a few days. Just a thought that I would like to mention. A few pages back Bigventure describes loosing control of a 16 on a Subaru Outback. The 20' on the Grand Cherokee is not necessarily any more stable combination than the 16 and the Subaru if it is not connected properly. No matter what size trailer and tow vehicle is important to set it up with the correct weight transfer and generally a sway control etc.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #206
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
My car comes with no towing specifications to speak of. I will have to rely on a kind of intuitive and empirical method. I will try to balance three measures:
- Finder heights equal to the unhitched measures
- Under the gross axle weight on both ends
- 30% to 45% of the tongue weight transferred to the front axle

Then I will see if there are any ride or handling issues.
Do you think that is a reasonable plan?
The old rule, the guideline, was a distribution of TW of 1/3 -- 1/3 -- 1/3 across all axle sets, and, on the TV +/- 10% where the Rear Axle is preferred.

RG Weight Chart

pdf : How to Weigh an RV

Calibrated Tire Gauge: Consult before buying

Example of IR thermometer. Get laser pointer. Ck bearing/hub temps.

And, a SHERLINE TW gauge.

I'd pay more attention to TV tire pressure once the WD rough-in is done: 1.5/hrs steady-state speed and looking for no more than 5-7% pressure rise from dead cold. The TT tires are always at sidewall max. Then back to WD, then tires, etc. (All this after reducing any side/side or front/rear imbalances across axles.)

More than 100% FALR is possible. Respect FA rating. Even 5'er/gooseneck hitches can go "over" by 50- 200-lbs.

To ensure best baseline, a TT axle alignment and fresh brake/bearing service. What may be "next to nothing" (mis-align or mal-adjust) can be heightened by rutted highways, etc.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #207
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post

After that, I changed brands of hitch, also changing to 1400 pound bars from 1000 pound bars. The installer of the new hitch set it up for 3/4 inch lower front fender height. The front axle is now heavier than when unhitched, by about 200 pounds. .....

(Sorry, my TV is not "small"; it's a short wheelbase 1/2 ton Yukon).
That's interesting that your Chevy feels right with the front axle weighted that way. When I was first setting up my Frontier, I tried a setting similar to that ( greater than 100% front axle weight restoration ) and it made the steering feel very "heavy and sluggish". Backing it off to be right at 100% FALR makes the truck have a steering feel ( as I would have guessed ) that is exactly the same as the truck solo.
I guess all setups are slightly different.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the 300 set up looks good. What do you mean you have to jack the car very high to attach the chains? Where do they attach, underneath?

I like that BMW too, and sounds like good mileage comparatively.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #209
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Here is some info about with my 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB travel trailer towed by a Chevrolet Traverse LT 2011 purchased with the factory towing option.

CanAm Trailer performs the reinforcement of the factory’s hitch in September 2011.
When I purchase this SUV, I ask Andy is advice about the tires already installed on this vehicle. Mounted on steel wheels the GENERAL TIRE brand size (P245/70 R17) is not more than OK… At that time, his suggestion was to change them to the “optional” P255/50R20XL. But my Chevrolet dealer asks me close to $4,000 to purchase these (new tires on magnesium wheels) and I have to sell by myself the original tires come with the Traverse. I take the chance to keep them and here is some feedback.
DRIVING EXPERIENCE:
- As I mention earlier, the P245/70 R17 are not more than OK. Without a travel trailer attached, this Traverse has a natural tendency to sway alone. Sit on the third rear back seat of the car; if the driver does not pay attention to drive in a straight line, you have the impression to be at the end of the tail of a dog (surprisingly not noticeable in the driver’s seat!). These tires are too ‘balloon marshmallow’. Not the better choice by GM to equip this “LT Package” with 70 type tires. Hook up a 5,000 pounds travel trailer attached to the back of this car and you have a “good enough” travel experience… A world of driving difference experience compared to my previous Honda Odyssey with the same travel trailer with the same hitch installed by Andy.
- In regards to the towing ‘power’ of this Chevrolet Traverse, I am pleasantly surprise. This car offers a very good power/RPM ratio with a 6 speed transmission. The towing package (V92) comes with the ‘towing’ push button on the console that’s imposing to the transmission a higher RPM shifting speed: 2,500 RPM instead to ±1,900 RPM.
- In ‘Towing’ mode the engine is running at 2,450 RPM at 100 Km/hr (60 MPH) in gear 5th. The engine do not shows any lack of power and I experience reasonable gas consumption. No frequent transmission gear shifts like I had previously experienced with my previous Odyssey at roughly the same cruising speed.
- Attached, an illustration of the mass and pictures of my gear. I take the decision to travel with empty fresh, gray and black tanks to not be over the maximum travel towing weight of the vehicle (5,200 pounds).
FUEL CONSUMPTION
- I travel close to 5,000 kilometres (3,000 miles) with this rig since 2011. The gas mileage is around ±17 litres per 100 kilometres (13.7 Mil/Gal. US) on a mix of flat roads and hills at a cruising speed of about 100 km/hr (60 MPH).
- Without my travel trailer this Traverse shows a good mileage on highway: Same cruising speed, and±9 litres per 100 kilometres (25.5 Mil/Gal US). But, city driving with traffic jams in winter time (-10°F) the gas consumption can grow up to ±18 litres per 100 kilometres (12 Mil/Gal.US).
IN CONCLUSION
- Pretty happy with my Chevrolet Traverse as a towing vehicle. More than happy on my Airstream/Traverse hitch installation/modification by Andy of CanAm.
- About my actual driving experience with the travel trailer: Shame on me to do not follow Andy’s recommendation about the replacement of original P245/70 R17 tires by a 60 or 50 ratio tires in 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9735.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	203928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9740.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	203929  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WEIGHT.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	203930  
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #210
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papou View Post
...A world of driving difference experience compared to my previous Honda Odyssey with the same travel trailer with the same hitch installed by Andy.
So, which did you like better, and why?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote