Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Was following your thread Pam - and Glad you made your final decision - it is really hard trying to wade through all the different opinions.

I think these type of threads should start out with style of driving first

To buy a vehicle to run up mountains at 70mph possibly once or twice a year seems a bit excentric.

When comparing safety - how safe is it to run at 70mph vs say 55mph on the flats. How safe is it to "worry" about the other guy because they may be irritated?? I would be more inclined to worry about the other guy on a defensive driving approach.

While wheel base gives you better stability - these people who drive so fast while towing NEED it.

We have a 1999 GMC Yukon - and have towed both our Globetrotter and the 26' Overlander - with NO issues. We have the WD and Sway system and both setups are nice and stable. We drive a bit slower than our friends to the south and our roads are much smaller. But for heavens sake - you have plenty of LANES down there not to have to worry about "the other guy". And Mountains in most cases I would think there are two lanes on either side - faster traffic can always pass. If not - so it takes a couple of extra "minutes" (not hours) to get up the "hill".

I'd be more worried about coming down the otherside - and making sure you got real fresh brakes on that Yukon/Tahoe - and on your trailer and making sure your brake controller is up to snuf and that you know how to use it safely if you need extra braking power in an emergency. These are all the little things that people forget When they are so hung up on getting the Big TV that can handle anything

Just my two cents - now that it is worth a bit more these days

Happy and safe travels Pam
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Follow up

I posted this to another thread I had started about tow vehicles... here it is again to complete this thread for anyone researching...

Just wanted to get back to this thread and post an update for anyone interested... I just completed my most challenging trip. A 6% grade going up to 5000 feet in a pretty short distance. (Oakridge to Crescent Lake for those who are familiar). I was quite concerned, since this was my 'first time', and everything went very well.

On the way up, I never dropped below 50 MPH, and that was because I wasn't anticipating the next hill and let my speed drop down. The engine only heated up by 2 of the little hash marks... no more then it does on the freeway at times and it was 75 degrees out. My brother had advised me to not be intimidated to use the passing lanes to get past the big rigs and so I just kept my speed up and had no problems.

On the way down, I had my step father who is an ex trucker ride with me to school me in how to use my transmission and stay off of my brakes. The Tahoe did great! I only used the brakes a couple of times and just stayed at the speed limit and followed the warning signs for curves.

I am very happy after all of the worry about what to purchase. I love my Tahoe!
BTW, I stopped at the scales on the way and the Tahoe weighs 6400#’s and the Airstream 4850#’s…. Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #43
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
BTW, I stopped at the scales on the way and the Tahoe weighs 6400#’s and the Airstream 4850#’s…. Pam
Did you detatch the Airstream from the Tahoe? If so what was the hitch weight of the trailer? What was in the trailer.

Just curious.......

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats and Thanks for follow up!

Pam-

Thanks so much for sharing your actual experiences, and it's great to hear trip worked out... This Forum is a great place to get information, but sometimes you can get such a broad range from so many sides that you have to make some personal judgments... Patience and planning go a long way to making driving safe, and I hope you find many more opportunities to get out and enjoy the Airstream...

We weighed ours as well at CAT scale, and just wanted to clarify that some of the trailer's weight is included in the Tahoe number, since the hitch weight showed on scale as part of the Tahoe rear axle.. Probably around 500#, but it shifts the relative balance..

A few more bits of advice for your trip planning checklist...

1. Don't fear bad weather, but be prepared to stop if snow and ice or rain make it unsafe and unpleasant to continue... Realizing that the Trailer furnace will keep it warm in real cold weather is kind of fun...

2. As you get more confident going up and down hills and on windy roads, don't get carried away and start getting more casual and driving faster and faster... The difference between 60 and 75 mph is huge, in terms of traction, stopping distances, wind effects, swerving ability and general road safety. You are still running almost 6 tons at a speed that takes a while to react...

3. Have a plan for possible breakdowns... Are there a few key parts you should carry in the Tahoe, like fan/pump belts and fuel pump, and maybe an alternator, just in case you are stuck a long way from a Chevy or GMC dealer.. Who would you call, and how would you reach them? What about a spare tire? Would Tahoe spare work on trailer in emergency?

Cheers,

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Did you detatch the Airstream from the Tahoe? If so what was the hitch weight of the trailer? What was in the trailer.

Just curious.......
I did not get the hitch weight and now I understand that part of the Tahoe weight included that. I had the AS loaded for camping, I have just had new cabinets intstalled that probalbly added 500 to 600 lbs (not including the deduction for the tear out of the old cabinet). And the front of the trailer is empty. The gaucho has been removed by the PO and I have not replaced anything. We used a fold up table during the day and a blow up mattress at night for my grandaughter to sleep on. I will be posting pictures of the new cabinets soon in the thread "How much should cabinets cost" or something like that....
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote