Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #43
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by pamelake
BTW, I stopped at the scales on the way and the Tahoe weighs 6400#s and the Airstream 4850#s. Pam
Did you detatch the Airstream from the Tahoe? If so what was the hitch weight of the trailer? What was in the trailer.

Just curious.......

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #44
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats and Thanks for follow up!

Thanks so much for sharing your actual experiences, and it's great to hear trip worked out... This Forum is a great place to get information, but sometimes you can get such a broad range from so many sides that you have to make some personal judgments... Patience and planning go a long way to making driving safe, and I hope you find many more opportunities to get out and enjoy the Airstream...

We weighed ours as well at CAT scale, and just wanted to clarify that some of the trailer's weight is included in the Tahoe number, since the hitch weight showed on scale as part of the Tahoe rear axle.. Probably around 500#, but it shifts the relative balance..

A few more bits of advice for your trip planning checklist...

1. Don't fear bad weather, but be prepared to stop if snow and ice or rain make it unsafe and unpleasant to continue... Realizing that the Trailer furnace will keep it warm in real cold weather is kind of fun...

2. As you get more confident going up and down hills and on windy roads, don't get carried away and start getting more casual and driving faster and faster... The difference between 60 and 75 mph is huge, in terms of traction, stopping distances, wind effects, swerving ability and general road safety. You are still running almost 6 tons at a speed that takes a while to react...

3. Have a plan for possible breakdowns... Are there a few key parts you should carry in the Tahoe, like fan/pump belts and fuel pump, and maybe an alternator, just in case you are stuck a long way from a Chevy or GMC dealer.. Who would you call, and how would you reach them? What about a spare tire? Would Tahoe spare work on trailer in emergency?

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Did you detatch the Airstream from the Tahoe? If so what was the hitch weight of the trailer? What was in the trailer.

Just curious.......
I did not get the hitch weight and now I understand that part of the Tahoe weight included that. I had the AS loaded for camping, I have just had new cabinets intstalled that probalbly added 500 to 600 lbs (not including the deduction for the tear out of the old cabinet). And the front of the trailer is empty. The gaucho has been removed by the PO and I have not replaced anything. We used a fold up table during the day and a blow up mattress at night for my grandaughter to sleep on. I will be posting pictures of the new cabinets soon in the thread "How much should cabinets cost" or something like that....

pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote