Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Go diesel!!!
We purchased a 2010 Ford F-250 diesel in January, replacing our 2002 1500HD 6.0 liter gas Chevy. The towing power of the Ford, along with the stability of ¾ ton suspension is amazing. I feel so much safer towing our 27’ Sovereign behind the diesel. Hills are no problem, ever. The mirrors are excellent and so is the built-in brake controller.
The Dodge is a great truck, too. The Cummins engine has remarkable power and is now a lot quieter. We test drove one and nearly bought one – even tested it to see if it fit in our garage. However, I was concerned about the longevity of Dodge/Chrysler especially when it came to warranty. The salesman blew it by telling us “you shouldn’t worry, because if Chrysler Corporation fails the Government will take over your warranty.” That was enough to sway my wife’s opinion. She proudly drives a (non-bailout) Ford Edge.
The mileage has been surprisingly good, but not as good as the older diesels without the particulate filter in the exhaust. My best tank has been 18.4 mpg freeway; my worst was 11.2 city.
Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Sovereign View Post
Go diesel!!!
We purchased a 2010 Ford F-250 diesel in January, replacing our 2002 1500HD 6.0 liter gas Chevy. The towing power of the Ford, along with the stability of ¾ ton suspension is amazing. I feel so much safer towing our 27’ Sovereign behind the diesel. Hills are no problem, ever. The mirrors are excellent and so is the built-in brake controller.
The Dodge is a great truck, too. The Cummins engine has remarkable power and is now a lot quieter. We test drove one and nearly bought one – even tested it to see if it fit in our garage. However, I was concerned about the longevity of Dodge/Chrysler especially when it came to warranty. The salesman blew it by telling us “you shouldn’t worry, because if Chrysler Corporation fails the Government will take over your warranty.” That was enough to sway my wife’s opinion. She proudly drives a (non-bailout) Ford Edge.
The mileage has been surprisingly good, but not as good as the older diesels without the particulate filter in the exhaust. My best tank has been 18.4 mpg freeway; my worst was 11.2 city.
Good luck!
I attached a cell phone photo of my dash during my 18.4 mpg run. This trip was from Bishop, CA to San Diego. Yes, some of this is downhill but there was plenty of traffic to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012-20100325-1549.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	101045