Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Jim

2016 30' International
Big Lake , Alaska
Sequoia Tow Rating

We are thinking about a 2011 or 2012 Sequoia with the 5.7 L V8 as a TV for our soon to be acquired International 27FB. When I first took a look at the Sequoia, it did not seem to be sufficiently rated at 7,100 lbs. The salesman told me that the Feds are coming out with new guidelines for tow ratings and that Toyota is ahead of other manufacturers in using the new methodology. After doing some research, it appears that could be the case - the 2010 Sequoia outfitted the same has a rating of 10,000 lbs.

Has anybody else heard of this change in guidelines for tow ratings? The other possibility is that Toyota was previously overrating the Sequoia but it is now properly rated and I shouldn't be using it to tow a 7,600 GVWR trailer.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jim
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, there are multiple answers. Are there new government specifications for motor vehicle tow rating? Yes. Are these going to be an improvement of the old tow rating system? Probably.

What does this mean? I think it means that from now on vehicle tow ratings will be more realistic and comparable between different vehicles. In the past, the various manufacturers sometimes pulled their tow ratings out of the air without much to back it up. Now, at least, there will be a common process to determine tow ratings.

As to a new Sequoia's suitability for a 27FB, I think that it will most likely be able to do the job adequately. A 7,500# Airstream may be at least slightly pushing the limits of any half ton tow vehicle. Also, you should consider that a Sequoia is a relatively short wheel-based vehicle for a 27 foot trailer. A quality weight distributing/sway controlling hitch system will be a necessity for this combination.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Anything over about 5000lb for a half ton is too much reguardless of what Ford says for there 11,000lb towing capcity F-150. Toyota does not overbuild their trucks as far as drive train is concerned. I think they still use the same size rear end as the little tiny trucks from the 70's. I would get something that is 3/4 ton rated. If you are towing in some flat place like FL you can tow with anything.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The rear end on a second generation Tundra is very large and nothing like the 1970's. I assume the Sequoia has the same rear end as it is matched with the engine and transmission. We have towed a 25' with an '07 Tundra for 4 years without problems. The 27' and 28' are not that different from the 25' and should be ok with a Tundra. The driveline, brakes, differential, etc., are equivalent in size to a 3/4 ton even though it is rated 1/2 ton. The Tundra may have a higher GVWR rating since it doesn't have to carry around the big body of the Sequoia.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Anything over about 5000lb for a half ton is too much reguardless of what Ford says for there 11,000lb towing capcity F-150. Toyota does not overbuild their trucks as far as drive train is concerned. I think they still use the same size rear end as the little tiny trucks from the 70's. I would get something that is 3/4 ton rated. If you are towing in some flat place like FL you can tow with anything.

Perry
You're kidding, right? My '71 27' weighs more than that (full it's 6300lbs) and it was towed by a caddy originally!

My '09 F-150 tows it (and stops it) just fine, and we've hauled it over 25k miles all over the west coast, in the mountains, and are getting ready for a year-long east coast trip starting in April.

You do not need a 3/4 ton truck to tow a 7000lb trailer.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Jim

I towed a 2011 Flying Cloud 27FB with a 2008 Sequoia 4X4 with the 5.7L engine equipped with the towing package. I used an Equalizer anti-sway hitch. The vehicle had the power to pull the 7,600 pound rated trailer with ease. Prior to the Airstream, I pulled a box trailer rated at about 8,000 pounds, as well. Long, steep grades will slow you up, but it's not that painful. The Sequoia is a quality, dependable vehicle and a competent towing platform.

I recently traded the Sequoia for a 2012 Tundra Limited because I'm moving an Airstream Classic rated at 10,000. The power train in my new Tundra is the same as the Sequoia, but the tow rating is higher. Probably because of less weight and maybe the frame.

The new tow rating system will supposedly eliminate wild tow capacity claims when fully adopted by the industry. Toyota is an early adopter so you can't use the tow rating on their vehicles as a comparison for those not yet using the rating standard.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Keep in mind that a 1971 27 foot Airstream may weigh 6300# ready to camp. On the other hand, a later model Airstream 27FB will be approaching 8000# ready to camp. Vintage Airstreams are considerably lighter per foot than the new ones.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Keep in mind that a 1971 27 foot Airstream may weigh 6300# ready to camp. On the other hand, a later model Airstream 27FB will be approaching 8000# ready to camp. Vintage Airstreams are considerably lighter per foot than the new ones.

Brian
Understood....my comment was directed towards the 5k comment....I think that if I were in a newer A/S, I'd definitely match it with a high-end hitch (ala HAHA or PP) if I wanted to stick with a 1/2 ton truck.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
First off, the new towing specs were created by the SAE (society of automotive engineers), not the feds. Nobody really knows what they will come up with, least of all a salesman. Some trucks/SUV's will come out looking good while others will not under the new testing procedures. If the feds were doing the specs, I suspect GM and Chrysler would be far superior to Ford and captive imports!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

I can appreciate that Toyota is a fine product, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want it when you could have a nice diesel 3/4 ton at about the same price. I looked up the MSRP on Kelly Blue Book for a standard equipped Sequoia with the 5.7 ltr 2 wheel drive and found it listed at $52,000. Having pulled with a 5.7ltr Suburban prior to getting our 07 Duramax I can tell you the difference is like night and day towing our '88 25'.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Toyota does not overbuild their trucks as far as drive train is concerned. I think they still use the same size rear end as the little tiny trucks from the 70's. I would get something that is 3/4 ton rated. If you are towing in some flat place like FL you can tow with anything.

Perry
Lets start your education right here:

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/DiffDe...&DriveType=4WD

The one place the 5.7 Tundra/Sequoia excels is the bulletproof heavy duty drivetrain, including a differential ring gear of 10.5 inches.

Now the payload capacity of Sequoia could be problematic, so I'd check on that, particularly if the OP planning on carrying a lot.

The drivetrain is ample for my 25, superb in fact.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
I can appreciate that Toyota is a fine product, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want it when you could have a nice diesel 3/4 ton at about the same price. I looked up the MSRP on Kelly Blue Book for a standard equipped Sequoia with the 5.7 ltr 2 wheel drive and found it listed at $52,000. Having pulled with a 5.7ltr Suburban prior to getting our 07 Duramax I can tell you the difference is like night and day towing our '88 25'.
Because some people like Toyota more than Government Motors.

Diesel isn't the answer for everyone... and the 5.7 in the Suburban is a dog... So I don't doubt going to anything else is night and day. The Suburban is a wallowing tank with a 40 year old motor and 60 year old transmission. My work vehicle is a Suburban and I hate it... everyone who drives it hates it... everyone that rides in it hates it (but they are all prisoners, so they are biased).

The Sequoia is sharp to drive, tight, has a fantastic 6 speed tranny, and is fun to own. I have 90,000km on my 2008 Sequoia and have zero trips to the dealer for warranty... just normal maintenance. I pull a 22' <> 5000lbs loaded. It's like it's not even there.

The 2012 Sequoia adds a trailer stability program to the computer... it's not a replacement for a proper hitch, but works to stop trailer sway if it happens.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Sequoia has independent rear suspension which makes it handle better than any pickup, and a shorter wheelbase which makes it a much more pleasant daily driver.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The new SAE tow standards are out there and well known to the manufactures. I do believe Toyota is the first to actually adopt them before it's required.

Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The 2012 capacities for the Tundra are 9,700 or 9,800 with tow package for the 5.7 L., double cab, 4WD. Difference is between long and standard bed. There are a variety of versions of this truck, all with different capacities. Payload is also down a bit. I think like models were previously rated 10,000 for the Tundra, though earlier 2nd generation Tundras were generally over 11,000.

Sequoia is 7,100 for 4WD, 5.7 L. 2WD adds 300 lbs. Like the Tundra, different versions are different I couldn't find any specs for payload. I suspect it is low.

I read the article newroswell linked to about the SAE ratings. I didn't really understand it and the question is whether these new ratings make sense.

Before the Toyota bashing starts (well, it already did), let's see what the new ratings are on other trucks.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Jim

2016 30' International
Big Lake , Alaska
I have looked both at versions of the Suburban and the Excursion and frankly, I like the Sequoia much better. US Manufacturers continue to miss the simple things such as storage. The Sequoia has a nice under deck storage area for a hitch, jumper cables, rags, etc. whereas Ford and Chevy just figure you can throw them in the back to roll around, I guess.

I like the Tundra (have been using an '04 Double Cab as my commuting vehicle for years now) but frankly, I am tired of driving a pickup during these long Alaska winters. Unless I load several 100# of sand in the bed, I end up running in 4WD all the time and with the cap I have on it, it loses most of the utility of a pickup anyway. I figure I might as well get an SUV.

Current plans are you use a Hensley set up on the trailer and from what I am seeing here and by reading numerious other threads, I think it will be a good setup.

Thanks for all the help.
Jim
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I applaud Toyota for jumping on this new standard early. I also think there are a lot of options for towing a 7,600 lb trailer. With the 6 speed transmissions, better engines, big disc brakes, there are a lot of vehicles by at least 4 manufacturers to choose from. A 2012 1/2 ton is going to compete very well against a 10 year old 3/4 ton in those SAE tests. Now if you could just get a 1/2 ton with a smaller diesel!

It'll be interesting to see any vehicle changes to keep from taking a tow/payload rating hit. Will GM finally go to 4 wheel disc brakes, on an otherwise nice vehicle? Just 1000 lbs of payload adds 7.5 feet to the 60-0 stopping distance.

2011 $30,000 Shootout: 60-0 MPH Braking Test - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I always give the same advice when people ask me what to buy... "Buy what you like". Because you are the one that has to be happy with it. I don't like the bashing here sometimes... "Why would you buy _____?".

Most modern vehicles are relatively similar... they all have similar warranties, get built in the same way, by similar people. There aren't a lot of models that are pure lemons anymore, though some models will have a few more problems than others.

If you find something that makes you smile, meets the specs you need, then buy it and be happy. I bought a brand new 4runner (2011) because on paper it was exactly what I needed... I owned a few Tacoma's and wanted an SUV. But, I just never fell in love with the look or feel of it. 9 months later I traded it on a Sequoia... and every time I drive it I think "Man, this is a real dream!".

I have a friend who feels the same way about his Suburban, and another about his 1 ton diesel Chev... it doesn't matter what I think (though I think they both are brain injured)... they love their trucks. Another buddy has had the worst luck with his 1 ton Dodge, but still loves the thing and buys all kinds of trinkets for it.

My first car was an 87 Mustang GT... typical kids car... what a piece of junk. But, in my head, still the best car I ever had.

Buy what you like.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote