Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
To All:

I think that this has been a great thread with lots of valid opinions. I know that I have learned a lot from following this thread.

I have a Tundra, so I am biased. The Tundra is a great tow vehicle and has a lot going for it including the following:

1. 5.7 L motor- no other gas motor has more power and torque
2. Great 6 spd tranny that downshifts automatically when you tap the brakes.
3. All necessary towing stuff standard with the 5.7L motor.
4. Towing mirrors available.
5. Great brakes.
6. 18" tires standard.
7. Largest interior room and bed size compared to the competition (at least in 2008 when I bought mine).
8. About 32k for a well equiped 2wd model and 35k for 4wd.

The weak link with the Tundra is that it is only a 1/2 ton truck, hence the low rear axle rating. Now, I am a mechanical engineer and I generally believe in abiding by design recommedations that manufacturers set for their products. However being an engineer I know that the design requirements that the engineers design to are the worst case requirements. In terms of the rear suspension and rear axle loading, the worst case senario is the truck being loaded to its maximum weight and being driven on a very rough road or even off road and at a high rate of speed. I believe this provides a margin of safety when compared to the truck being driven on very smooth roads. I know that I usually tow my Airstream on only smooth paved roads and if I have to go off road to set up camp I am going very slow. I believe if you go back to the engineers and you ask them what the rear axle rating would be on smooth roads the number will be substantially higher than the manufacturers rating. I don't know if this will add 500 lbs to the vehicle and rear axle ratings or possibly less or even more, but I know that I would feel comfortable towing with numbers some what higher than the manufacturers rating. However I would also want to weigh my rig and make that judgement call after I know what the real weight numbers are.

Carl:

I would buy the Airstream that you want and tow it with your Tundra. If you feel uncomfortable towing it with the Tundra, then sell it then. I towed my 84 31' Excella with a 93 5.7L Chevy van and I was very uncomfortable with mainly the braking and the power. I did not even think about the fact that I was overloading the rear end of the van. The only problem towing the 28 footer with the Tundra may be in your head. If this is the case then you will need to go to a differant tow vehicle, but I would try it first before I would take the $ loss and give up all the positive features that the Tundra has going for it. Two of my favorite sayings are "New solutions have new problems and If it is not necessary to change then it is necessary not to change". Thanks for starting this thread and all the best to you. I am sure that your solution will work well for you.

Dan

Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
In earlier post I noted I got rid of 3/4 ton chev and now own a tundra. Just did a 700 mile solo trip with the tundra and it is a GREAT ride. tow only 3-4 weeks a year and normally less than 3000 miles. I would NEVER take the chev as my solo vehicle. The tundra is a great tow vehicle also so win win for me! I have air bags to protect the rear springs but other than that and good tires it is stock. Our a/s is a 27 fb safari and follows the tundra just fine

Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Buy a Dodge Diesel. No more worries......
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl28 View Post
...the margin is just too small for a 28 ft...If you pack a 28 with any toys, you're already into the safety margin at the start.
Good for you!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #89

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
To All:

I think that this has been a great thread with lots of valid opinions. I know that I have learned a lot from following this thread.

I have a Tundra, so I am biased. The Tundra is a great tow vehicle and has a lot going for it including the following:

1. 5.7 L motor- no other gas motor has more power and torque

[Lots of deleted stuff]

Dan
In fact the Dodge 5.7l V8 has more HP and torque, as do GM's 6.2l and Ford's 6.2l. The GM has a slightly lower hp/liter but the Ford's is about the same.

This is not to say that the Tundra isn't an excellent truck, just that there are other good gas V8s out there.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
DKB SATX

I did not mean to imply that there were not other good gas tow motors out there. I agree that there are. However I don't agree that Ford has a comparable tow motor in their offering since the 6.2L motor is only available in the SVT performance truck.

I should have said that the Tundra has the most towing grunt with its 5.7L motor- 381 hp, 401 ft-lb torque, 6 speed tranny, 4.3 rear end.

The competition:

GM 6.2L- 403 hp, 417 ft-lb, 6 speed, 3.73 rear end.
Dodge 5.7L- 390 hp, 407 ft-lb, 5 speed, 3.92 rear end.
Ford 5.4L- 310 hp, 365 ft-lb, 6 speed, 3.73 rear end

Rumship

The key word here is "worries".

Carl

I guess if I were looking at a new tow vehicle today (2011) to tow a large Airstream, I would have to give serious consideration to the Ford F150 with the max payload option. This provides the following payload ratings:

Regular cab- 145" wb, 3030 lbs.
Super cab- 145" wb, 2030 lbs.
Super cab- 163" wb, 2660 lbs.

However, I might want to wait until Ford makes the 6.2L motor available. I would not want to give up the towing grunt of the Tundra. I have gotten used that, and I like it.

It would be interesting to know what changes the max payload option includes to allow the significant increase in payload.

Dan
Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #91

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ford is offering the 6.2L in the general 2011 F150 line, at 411 hp and 434 lb-ft of torque. Like GM has done, it seems that it'll only be available in the supercab/supercrew versions of the truck.

Here's a link to the engines. If you click on the "Payload Package Selector" tab you can figure out which cab/box/wheelbase combinations will be available with the 6.2l.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
thanks for these notes on the fords, I didnt know this engine was available. But if I am going to go through the trouble of trading, it will be up to a 3/4 ton. The supercrew in the ford f150 doesnt allow any more payload than what I have now, but the smaller cabs with this engine do offer a higher payload (super cab as you noted). I guess this makes ford have a unique offering in the world of 1/2 tons up to 2600 lbs - thanks