Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
.....and to think our friends years ago towed a 27' International from Canada to Florida and back many times.

Their tow vehicle..... a 1965 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop with a 383ci with "P" rated tires.

A run of the mill equalizing hitch

They also had 4 good sized adults in the vehicle

What has the world come to???

Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #72
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
From an alternate universe:

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Looking for input regarding weights

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: a GVWR lesson!

Found nothing worthwhile on Tundrasolutions. Maybe there is other TOYOTA information, but it appears -- at present -- that the TV manufacturer spends more words on 5-er towing than for conventional.

In other words, there is room to load the front axle, slightly, is the way I read it. But, since J2807 indicates increased yaw instability by such, I wouldn't. Pickup trucks are already lousy onroad.

100% of TW should re-distribute to return Steer Axle to original weight, give-or-take, once WDH is properly adjusted.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
clarification

I think the term "WD hitch load" is simply a term to describe what the payload is having to absorb. It doesnt mean I believe that it will be 1/3 1/3 1/3 or even should be. But you have to call it something. 2air' no one is trying to lie with the math - thats not really a fair way to say it - but there is a small margin here on this truck, and the effect of the WD is critical - it cant be denied. But that is not to say (I am certainly not nor is anyone else) that we can ignore going to the scales later to find out what the real numbers are. We all know what it means, but every rig will have to be checked out I think we agree on that. If steve's wet weight is 1200-1300 lbs (my own guess not a real number) then that really impacts all of the other numbers regardless of exactly how we say it
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #74
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
.....and to think our friends years ago towed a 27' International from Canada to Florida and back many times.

Their tow vehicle..... a 1965 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop with a 383ci with "P" rated tires.

A run of the mill equalizing hitch

They also had 4 good sized adults in the vehicle

What has the world come to???

The trailer weight is the real problem here, not the trailer size. Therein lays the irritating problem.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I think I give up. I think I am caving on this. You guys have not worn me out or anything, I like the participation. But the margin is just too small for a 28 ft.

Even if steve's number is higher than average, its a 27, not a 28. I would have a brand new trailer, a brand new truck, and pulling away from home on the very first trip will in all likelihood will be right at or over the GVWR at the start. And the scales might show that the margin is even smaller than we are figuring here on paper. It doesnt seem like its worth it.

I think the tundra is an awesome vehicle and have to agree with gene's comment awhile back on another thread, where he draws the line more or less at the 25s. If you pack a 25 with a little bit of thought, you are in a comfortable margin.

If you pack a 28 with any toys, you're already into the safety margin at the start.

I think thats where I am now
Old 10-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #76
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The T/A Truckstop in Limon has a CAT Scale.

T/A LIMON
I-70 & US 24, EXIT 359
LIMON, CO 80828

Make you a little 150-mile roundtrip run out there over the weekend to get the truck empty weight. At a GPS-verified 60 mph on cruise control -- fill up before leaving town and refill at same location. A fair mpg recording at optimum speed over the same course plus your empty weight. Note rpms and any winds.

And a check of tire pressure rise after 1.5-hrs steady-state driving; plus tire temps (IR gun: at departure and at the T/A).

Baseline numbers.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
As others have said, don't assume the 1/3 1/3 1/3 rule (or non-rule) is in play here. If anything, I don't think I have a lot of WD cranked in. Can't talk number of links, because it's Equalizer. Nor do I have numbers to back that up. But the rig is stable as a rock, I don't light up the treetops , and is well within all weight limits, including hitch, axles, and GVWRs. Wish we could all spend as much camping as we do talking about this stuff
Old 10-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Wish we could all spend as much camping as we do talking about this stuff
Yes.

Gene
Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #79
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Be pretty good reality TV as well . . assuming it could stay on topic versus personality; Family Feud versus another site.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Keep the Tundra and save another $30k right here, with similar arrangement of the 28:

2007 International 25 CCD SS - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Too bad they don't make this any more. They went whole-hog for the rear door/pano concept with some asking if it's structurally sound.

Doug K
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Man, This is going to go on and on. I will get grief for this, but my Sequoia will tow 9800 lbs

I have towed (without trailer brakes and wd hitch) My 16 flat bed, about 2000 lbs or more and a 9000 lbs + mini excavator from 5000 ft to 7000 ft. over 18 miles one way up and another 18 miles back down. I did 50-55 mph going up with no problem and 40-50 mpg going down the mountain without using my brakes that much. Would I go over 55 mph nope it got a little wobbly at 60 mph Would i go over a 100 miles like this?

not without a sway set up and wd hitch. The brakes are fine no problem stopping. I do have my trial set up with brakes now...

DONT' TRY THIS AT HOME FOLKS. NOT RECOMMENDED BUT DOABLE.

I felt comfortable and in control as long as I didn't go over 50-55 mph. I go 65-75 mph towing my AS which dry weight is about 4800 lbs. Don't know what it is now I have remodel it and am not going to waste my time with it.

If my sequoia will tow that you will feel in control and safe towing with the tundra. Really you will....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 2008 Sequoia independent rear suspension would be be more stable than the Tundra with a live axle, but less payload I would think. Nonetheless o.p. has a Tundra.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
All

I have basically made my decision, I just don't feel comfortable with a tundra and a 28. The wet hitch load just isnt reasonable. So I may post a new thread as I look around and figure out what to do - I think I am going to let this thread phase out.

Thanks everyone for your comments - all is appreciated.

If you want a short summary of my take on this, see my post #59 in this thread

thanks again
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2006 8' Yoder Toter , Jeffersonville Vermont
Probly a good idea.My take being a newbie to it all is not to be taken as gospel of course .But coming from a mfg backround i have seen many an instance where companies have bought machines that would just do the job.
These machines where bought to save money(mainly)but repairs and maint where always high because they where being run at there max all the time.
When the companies bought tools that were over built .The initial outlay of cash was larger but over time the maint costs and down time were much less
because the tools were not being run at full tilt boogie all the time.
Toyota makes a great 1/2 ton.Really overbuilt for a 1/2 ton.Got that
nice 4.3 rear end .Which can pull the bottom out of lakes. So yea they can pull lots.But the chassis isn't up to it.So they are a good truck if you
use the "overbuilt' part to it's intended limits. ie keeping it lower than max.