Old 03-22-2004, 06:14 PM   #43
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Substantive post...

This is great information. Thanks everyone! I'd like to add the only substantive thing I know about the 6.0L Ford diesel/5spd after having driven it is that it DOES now come with a transmission temperature guage.

Actually I wish my 6.8L V10 had that!

Roger

Old 03-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
I reread my last post on this subject and i think that it sounds a bit harsh, sorry again.

I have not done any research about Warranty's in the last couple of months. I almost purchased an 04 Dodge Cummins 3 months back because it has the option of the Exhaust brake with the manual trans. I want to say that the sales man implied that the warranty is still 100,000

Again i must say that i'm not a mechanic, but from my understanding, the Cummins is considered a medium duty engine.
I had a lot of interest in the Duramax( I have had a lot of good GM products in the past) and the Allison combo. At the time i needed a Truck and couldn't wait until they releast the Max. Then again i don't like being the Guine Pig either. The Cummins was and is proven. The only main uprgades have been the Fuel delivery and a change to 24v.
I think a mechanical gauge is better than a light. More accurate reading and less likely to have a failure. We use gauges in our vehicles every day, lets make a gauge that has a warning light built in, this should satisfy most of the people.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:50 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
on the subject of transmissions,
there are reputable aftermarket trans builders that will built a tranny with a 100,000 mile warranty and a lifetime tourque converter that should handle all the power we have. I have a hard time accepting the fact that we can't get a better auto tranny. I think thats why they don't offer the exhaust brake as an option on the auto's, to much strain on the converter. When my tranny bites the dust, and it will one day, my money goes to the aftermarket.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

"...the Cummins is considered a medium duty engine."

This is true. It is also true of the Ford (Navistar, ne International) and the GM Duramax. All three engines are used in medium duty applications.

The Duramax probably should not be considered "new" anymore - it is about to end its fourth year of production. The 6.0 was new to Ford last year, but had been used in medium duty applications by Navistar for a couple of years before that. The Cummins is arguably "new" as well as it is so re-engineered over the last six years that there is little that remains other than the block of the old design.

Mark
Old 03-27-2004, 07:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

I need to bring this thread back up to report that I found some information on the Duramax (GM) diesel warranty. The webpage is: http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/07_warranties/index.htm

It says, in part, "Duramax Diesel Engine Coverage
The engine is covered by a five year or 100,000 mile (whichever comes first) limited warranty. A deductible per repair visit may apply after the vehicle has been in use for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for more information.

So there is a 100,000 mile warranty, but with a deductible after 3/36.

Mark