Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #41
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRACADABRA
A V-10 will do the job quite well and the fuel price will not be impacted by the 'tree-hugger' additives that diesel prices are.

(I've owned 5 different Ford V-10's - F250's & Excursions - towed horse trailers & Airstreams X country, well satisified)
Just an observation; in my area (New England) diesel prices over the last few years, for better or worse, stay much more stable than gasoline. In fact, I can't remember the last time it moved at all, $2.89/gal.

Bill
Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #42
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile
........But Diesel fuel has a tendancy to rot and grow algea if it sits for to long....
Until this thread, I've never heard of this. Does anybody know why this is? Presumably, it's becuase there is water in the fuel. How does this happen? Are diesel fuel tanks more prone to leak, gas caps more poorly made? Can't have anything to do with the refining process. How is the water introduced into the equation?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
From what I know of it from being responsible for vehicle maintenance on a small fleet of vehicles where I used to work, diesel somehow draws mositure out of the air, and then has a tendency to grow alge in the fuel. Diesels usually have a water seperator fuel filter to deal with the problem, but it must be drained of water frequently. Sometimes there is water in the diesel when you buy it. The real problem happens when water gets to the injector pump. I had to deal with one situation on a Ford Power Stroke Diesel that got water in it that had to have a new injector pump, and the tanks removed, drained, and cleaned, all the tune of about $3,000.

You DO NOT want to run a diesel without maintaining it properly, and they are most economical when run daily and a lot of hours. IMHO, they work good in 18 wheelers, and tug boats.

Again, just my opinion, but I would not consider a diesel in a vehicle that would not be driven frequently.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
I have learned alot from the folks here who advocate Gas over Diesel and vice a versa. For me, I like the "peace of mind" included with my 06 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel. There really is no monetary value that is uniform across the board (i.e. equal for everybody) that can be utilized for comparison purposes. I think both SteveH and Brad H. make very good points. I guess you just have to ask yourself about your TV choice "do I sleep ok at night?" If you do, the rest is a moot point.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Rock Hill , South Carolina
I pull a 2005 International SS with a 2006 Nissan Titan and it does just fine. It's a great truck, very comfortable and, for a truck, even fun to drive. I would think you would be fine with a Suburban. I have had one before and it pulled the trailer I had then (about 5000lbs) with no difficulty. That's my $.02.
jsprad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #46
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Actually, Ford did make a diesel Expedition back in the late '90's. They didn't seem to sell very well so they discontinued them about the time the Excursion came out. It was a better fit with the diesel engine.

The water comes from the fuel. Petroleum products are hydrocarbons and the hydrogen is a very social atom and will come out of the petroleum and mate with the oxygen in the air in a heart beat. This is common in LP and natural gas as well. This is why mold/mildew (same thing, different name) is so prevalent in kitchens and why it is so important to exhaust stoves to the outside and not just recirculate the filtered cooking fumes.

I have only owned my current diesel F-250. As a tow vehicle I love it; as a daily driver, I liked my F-150 better. The seats in my F-250 are too firm and, of course, the suspension is too stiff so pot holes and even expansion joints in the interstate are murder. But, our Safari is a 30 footer and I didn't think I'd be comfortable towing it with anything less. I am confident I made the right decision for the frequency I tow with it. I would be concerned about it sitting idle if I didn't use it on a daily basis for my daily 50 mile round trip commute.

When I tow, I set the cruise control at my desired speed and pass when I need to and stay out of the way of those who want to go faster than I do. Believe me there are plenty of those folks out there. I have passed semi's and passenger cars going up steep grades in the Appalachians with the A/C set on 72 degrees at the end of July and the AS in tow. I've also caught myself hitting the 80 MPH mark when not using the cruise control and talking too much in the same conditions...now you know why I use the cruise control! I really appreciate the Jake Brake going down grade especially on curves. I can't say enough about the good qualities of my truck. I just wish it rode better.

Anyway, the only reservation I would have if I were you about a diesel is the infrequency of use you plan. I don't think any vehicle does well when it just sits and what you describe would probably take quite a toll on a diesel. You could probably get sufficient performance from a 3/4 V-10 F-250 if you are willing to go with a Ford. If you want a Chevy, you'll need advise from someone else, I haven't had a GM product in over 20 years (that was an Oldsmobile, BTW)...nothing against them, I just like Ford's truck styles and F-250's mirrors and built-in brake controller that was available at the time better.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote