Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Love my 2011 Super Duty styling - art deco locomotive, goes great with my Airstream with 400 horses & 800 lbs torque with best mpg ever yet exhaust cleaner than any gas powered vehicle.

It has never been so good for those of us who require a SuperDuty or their brother & sister trucks.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Bought the Tundra the other day. Its '11 2WD tow package, 5.7.

Its very powerful and engine is silky smooth. I'll save the review for another day.

Yes its tall! Never had a 2WD truck this tall. Had to order steps for the cab, some people had difficulty getting into it. Why so tall? I'll answer my own question: focus groups.. Probably the same reason the knobs for the climate control are large.

Honestly love the truck and don't want to sound like a brat. But these dumb packages and combinations of factory orders on Toyota.. I would have never picked a $450 motorized sliding rear window. For me a ridiculous waste of money. I had a manual one on the F250 and I used it about 2 times in 12 years.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Loud bikes save lives. The louder the better.

[QUOTE=safari62;1002765]However it is too loud for everyone else.

Bro thats just it. Its too loud for you and old people. Life is not a campground. It doesnt bother a great many of us. You just keep yapping on and on about the noise pollution.

If you want the noise pollution taken care of, start some legislature that forces mfr to offer more expensive with race-quality exhaust systems from the factory as options so that we dont HAVE TO modify our vehicles just to get them to do what the mfr claim.

As for removing catalytic converters, going open header or to straight pipe on a daily driver, thats not improvement, thats idiotic.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I currently have 4 motorcycles around my house. I got my first, for my 5th birthday. But the old louder is safer argument is complete B.S that is always thrown out to support bad behavior. The American Motorcyclist Association has gone to great lengths to disprove the myth, and has stated over and over, they do not support it.

Excessive Motorcycle Sound

"The AMA believes that few other factors contribute more to misunderstanding and prejudice against the motorcycling community than excessively loud motorcycles."

I see you're in CA also, I'd rather not taunt the legislator to come up with new laws. It's always the few that have no reasonable boundary of rude or excessive behavior that ruins it for the others.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
What cracks me up - especially with the uneducated Harley Folks - they want it to SOUND good, not realizing that they require back pressure for certain performance.

Purchase pipes for performance, not noise (still love my Rineharte's, all four sets of them when propperly connected to a CVO Twin cam motor all four CVO Touring models) Yea, I used to ride ALOT...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #26
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Since we're on bike noise-
I live on a major weekend ride route, lots of Harleys. See officer hiding doing noise check. He asks if I live in the neighborhood, and if the noise bothers me. I say noise doesn't bother me. It doesn't.

BUT: Once in a while I do get the urge to buy a Harley to experience a torquey V2. I occasionally consider a clean used fuel injected 1200 Sportster with stock exhaust and catalyst. I have ridden motorcycles well over 50K miles all over southwest. Many used Harley's I look have modified exhaust systems. I'd prefer to pull into my garage not leaving a trail of exhaust smell like a '60s car. The noise doesn't do much for me any more. Then the Harley enthusiasts (lots around here) keep telling me the Sportster is a "girls bike" or a "beginners bike." Come on its 520 pounds and all I want to do with it is an occasional sunday ride to the beach, or a trip to the hardware store. My riding days are about over. I'm not too into the Harley culture.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Since we're on bike noise-
the Harley enthusiasts (lots around here) keep telling me the Sportster is a "girls bike" or a "beginners bike." .
You mean Skirtster...

Half these Hog groups ride from eatery to eatery - screw'em and buy what you want!

As per trucks - again, 400 horses and 800 lbs torque, great sound but not too loud and clean exhaust, the new diesels are GREAT!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I currently have 4 motorcycles around my house. I got my first, for my 5th birthday. But the old louder is safer argument is complete B.S that is always thrown out to support bad behavior. The American Motorcyclist Association has gone to great lengths to disprove the myth, and has stated over and over, they do not support it...
I see you're in CA also, I'd rather not taunt the legislator to come up with new laws. It's always the few that have no reasonable boundary of rude or excessive behavior that ruins it for the others.
This has never been about EXCESSIVE noise. Factory big block Corvettes are not tuned to be noisy, they just make noise. I could not give a rats ass what the AMA says about bikes making noise. Ive got 100k miles experience on road bikes loud and quiet that says quiet bikes get noticed a lot less than loud bikes.

This is 100x more true in the texting, cellphone talking society we live in now than EVER before.

On a bike its about making enough noise to be noticed, not excessive noise.

/ot rant
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalStreamr View Post
This has never been about EXCESSIVE noise. Factory big block Corvettes are not tuned to be noisy, they just make noise. I could not give a rats ass what the AMA says about bikes making noise. Ive got 100k miles experience on road bikes loud and quiet that says quiet bikes get noticed a lot less than loud bikes.

This is 100x more true in the texting, cellphone talking society we live in now than EVER before.

On a bike its about making enough noise to be noticed, not excessive noise.

/ot rant
Loud helmetless bikers wearing black always have an excuse why the other vehicle is at fault.

If 'loud saves lives" smashed BMW's, goldwings and other sensible motorcycles would be littering the highway.

Loud is pure vanity noise and AMA is just trying to head off more anti motorcycle laws. But it is too late. Time is running out for the arrested addolesence set. More laws and enforcement is coming and get ready to hear all the big bad bikers cry about their lost freedom. BOO HOO! waah!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Loud bikes are just a nuisance. Period. Same for other loud vehicles.

As to truck styling aerodynamics should be the focus. The '96 Ford like the '94 Dodge were a good step in this direction. It needs followup. Mechanical drag is the biggest fuel economy impediment to 50 mph, and past 60 mph it is pressure drag. Both have been addressed somewhat (trucks are quieter now on the interior, that's almost always better wind-tunnel shaping), and FE is bettered by small changes.

More serious changes are needed. On another site I'm fascinated by the simple addition of an aero bed topper [DIY] that others are coming up with based on actual aerodynamic research that is giving significant percentage increases.

Looks needn't always be to the lowest common denominator. Big grilles are pretty well history on big trucks (wider or taller than heat exchanger sizes), and ought to on light duty trucks.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Style and Function:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01136.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	132365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00426.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	132366  

Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
The new Ford truck does have an "in your face look"
Maybe over the top for some.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
That big grill on the Fords offers a nice opening for the big heat exchangers located directly behind it!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #34
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Not to be out Grilled

Coming Soon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Chevy Proto.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	132374  
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Forget the torque wars - the grill wars have begun!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Forget the torque wars - the grill wars have begun!
Hi, then my vote goes for Weber.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, then my vote goes for Weber.
Nice!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I recently traded my 3/4 ton Silverado on a smaller, lighter-duty Ram 1500. Umm, I guess "smaller" is in the eyes of the beholder. It does do better on gas, 18, vs 15 on the Silverado, but it sits higher (too high for me, I'm going to have to get steps to get into the thing), it's taller overall, and seems wider. The factory exhaust is loud enough, thank you... It is louder than the Silverado, and with a smaller engine.
I thought those big knobs on the controls were so I could see them without my glasses...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #39

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
On loud exhausts...

I recently bought a new-to-me truck to tow our new-to-us Argosy.

While I was shopping for trucks, I came to a quandary. I'm a cheap bastard, and of the Final Two one of the trucks had a lower price, slightly fewer miles AND was a Ford CPO vehicle. It only had 2 items of real concern for me, it had clearly been a smoker's truck and it had an aftermarket exhaust system I didn't like. It was OK up to about 35, but above that the drone was noticeable even at cruise throttle settings and obnoxious when accelerating. I could only imagine that it might be WORSE with a big aluminum wall following close behind the truck to reflect more of that racket at me. I bought the truck with the stock exhaust.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I recently traded my 3/4 ton Silverado on a smaller, lighter-duty Ram 1500. Umm, I guess "smaller" is in the eyes of the beholder. It does do better on gas, 18, vs 15 on the Silverado, but it sits higher (too high for me, I'm going to have to get steps to get into the thing), it's taller overall, and seems wider. The factory exhaust is loud enough, thank you... It is louder than the Silverado, and with a smaller engine.
I thought those big knobs on the controls were so I could see them without my glasses...

Hi, Terry. I have been watching your new Avatar for some time now and wondering when you were going to let us know that you switched from GM to Dodge.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote