Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalStreamr View Post
This has never been about EXCESSIVE noise. Factory big block Corvettes are not tuned to be noisy, they just make noise. I could not give a rats ass what the AMA says about bikes making noise. Ive got 100k miles experience on road bikes loud and quiet that says quiet bikes get noticed a lot less than loud bikes.

This is 100x more true in the texting, cellphone talking society we live in now than EVER before.

On a bike its about making enough noise to be noticed, not excessive noise.

/ot rant
Loud helmetless bikers wearing black always have an excuse why the other vehicle is at fault.

If 'loud saves lives" smashed BMW's, goldwings and other sensible motorcycles would be littering the highway.

Loud is pure vanity noise and AMA is just trying to head off more anti motorcycle laws. But it is too late. Time is running out for the arrested addolesence set. More laws and enforcement is coming and get ready to hear all the big bad bikers cry about their lost freedom. BOO HOO! waah!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Loud bikes are just a nuisance. Period. Same for other loud vehicles.

As to truck styling aerodynamics should be the focus. The '96 Ford like the '94 Dodge were a good step in this direction. It needs followup. Mechanical drag is the biggest fuel economy impediment to 50 mph, and past 60 mph it is pressure drag. Both have been addressed somewhat (trucks are quieter now on the interior, that's almost always better wind-tunnel shaping), and FE is bettered by small changes.

More serious changes are needed. On another site I'm fascinated by the simple addition of an aero bed topper [DIY] that others are coming up with based on actual aerodynamic research that is giving significant percentage increases.

Looks needn't always be to the lowest common denominator. Big grilles are pretty well history on big trucks (wider or taller than heat exchanger sizes), and ought to on light duty trucks.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Style and Function:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01136.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	132365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00426.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	132366  

Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
The new Ford truck does have an "in your face look"
Maybe over the top for some.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
That big grill on the Fords offers a nice opening for the big heat exchangers located directly behind it!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Not to be out Grilled

Coming Soon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Chevy Proto.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	132374  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Forget the torque wars - the grill wars have begun!
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Forget the torque wars - the grill wars have begun!
Hi, then my vote goes for Weber.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, then my vote goes for Weber.
Nice!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 06-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #38
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I recently traded my 3/4 ton Silverado on a smaller, lighter-duty Ram 1500. Umm, I guess "smaller" is in the eyes of the beholder. It does do better on gas, 18, vs 15 on the Silverado, but it sits higher (too high for me, I'm going to have to get steps to get into the thing), it's taller overall, and seems wider. The factory exhaust is loud enough, thank you... It is louder than the Silverado, and with a smaller engine.
I thought those big knobs on the controls were so I could see them without my glasses...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #39

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
On loud exhausts...

I recently bought a new-to-me truck to tow our new-to-us Argosy.

While I was shopping for trucks, I came to a quandary. I'm a cheap bastard, and of the Final Two one of the trucks had a lower price, slightly fewer miles AND was a Ford CPO vehicle. It only had 2 items of real concern for me, it had clearly been a smoker's truck and it had an aftermarket exhaust system I didn't like. It was OK up to about 35, but above that the drone was noticeable even at cruise throttle settings and obnoxious when accelerating. I could only imagine that it might be WORSE with a big aluminum wall following close behind the truck to reflect more of that racket at me. I bought the truck with the stock exhaust.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I recently traded my 3/4 ton Silverado on a smaller, lighter-duty Ram 1500. Umm, I guess "smaller" is in the eyes of the beholder. It does do better on gas, 18, vs 15 on the Silverado, but it sits higher (too high for me, I'm going to have to get steps to get into the thing), it's taller overall, and seems wider. The factory exhaust is loud enough, thank you... It is louder than the Silverado, and with a smaller engine.
I thought those big knobs on the controls were so I could see them without my glasses...

Hi, Terry. I have been watching your new Avatar for some time now and wondering when you were going to let us know that you switched from GM to Dodge.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
good article on supersized trucks

This article sums up the problems with "supersized" trucks. Noting that the ford f-150 tows 13K one has to ask why an Airstreamer would need 20K towing capacity.

Then there is the parking problems, fuel consumption, barge like road handling, and other high operating costs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/au...emc=wheelsema4

But I have noticed a trend lately of consumers buying more purpose built trucks in size. Also less chrome and smaller width tires. And single cabs. Remember those! A real truck.

Maybe the supersized pleasure truck fad is coming to an end.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
Noisy and Oversized trucks

I like my crew cab luxury liner. I bought my ford to pull the trailer. With room for friends and a maybe a rodent control unit (felis catus). If I could get a nice 1968 Cadillac Battleship it would go better with the trailer. Or maybe something in the Pimp-Mobile line.Most trucks today are simply an equivalent of a 1970's sedan. Large heavy suspension, large motor, and people capacity. Remember pictures of old rallies and sales brochures? My Avion brochure from 1968 shows all the trailers being pulled by station wagons or upscale sedans (borderline limousines). The only pickup trucks shown are in the truck camper section. Then again it does have a lot of gray hair showing... nobody here has gray hair right? LOL

Sadly automobiles that can pull a trailer or carry decent loads disappeared with the last Cadillac Ambulances (Remember the Miller-Meteors and the Lifeliners? - Mechanical sirens and men in white uniforms with a first aid kit and a bottle of oxygen, or perhaps a black hearse with a red light on the top to get you coming AND going at the hospital...). There is a need for vehicles that can have extra capacity, even if only used occasionally. Unfortunately one must buy a "truck" to get these attributes.

I dont worry about looks: I drove lead chromate yellow fire engines, then white and occasionally a red or a green one for 15 years. The 1977 Dodge was a PIG - 60 miles till you ran the gas tank empty. The 1948 Maxim was a dream, though most people cant double clutch and an engine the size of a volkswagen beetle is intimidating. The 1954 FWD was a beast-i swear it had three feet of ground clearance. The Mack B models had a push button start and could barely be heard at idle. Even pumping full out they werent as obnoxious as the custom exhausts. One of the best (Yes i own a ford) is the Chevy series. I drove an army crash truck made by chevy in 1944 that had a straight six and no muffler and it just purred. Another was a 1991 Chevy 1 ton brush rig. Smooth driving, decent range, but no AC or Stereo-Listening to NOAA on the two way VHF gets boring. Id love to have it for a tow rig (with ac and stereo). They are all ugly as the south end of a north bound moose (the north end isnt so pretty either), and designed to be noticed. They were also all quieter than a redneck diesel pickup with chromed stacks in the bed. And they make lots of noise if you want them to. The only unit I was ever around that approached the sound of the current crop of Harley-Davidson and Custom Noisy Exhausts was a 1954 V-12 American Lafrance that had a straight pipe. The exhaust was louder than the siren. These were all real trucks designed for heavy duty purposes. They dont make good family vehicles. But people (and especially children) sure do notice you and love the rig. I probly turned on the siren and hit the air horn more for children than responding. We had a no lights-no siren unless life is in danger response policy - turns out the lights and siren only save about 30 seconds on an average response-and most of the calls were for forest fires; trees grow back.

One thing to remember with all vehicles is that when one is highly visible one is held to a higher standard. Everybody notices mistakes and bad driving habits and become vocal about them. Most bikers seem to be obnoxious when you feel their exhaust through your vehicles side, but is it any worse than a quiet toyota subcompact that cuts over three lanes of traffic without a signal to make a turn? I dont like noisy exhausts and would prefer existing laws to be enforced.

That being said we all need to be considerate of our fellow citizens. Some ike riders walk their bike to the main drag to avoid waking their neighbors. Some noisy truck owners take it slow till they get out of residential areas. And some are obnoxious and give everyone else a bad name.

And from a more clinical point of view... Humans never developed bright fur or flashy feathers to attract mates and show dominance. We developed technology. The chrome and paint and badges and noise is out equivalent of a turkeys fan or a peacocks spots. We are herd animals that need to find a way of showing dominance and attact mates (yes even if we are married we still have that instinct). It used to be clothes but now everybody dresses alike. And gentlemen cannot meet with swords or pistols at dawn to determine who has a bigger.. umm well if you read national geographic you will see pictures that show cultures that attach gourds to mimic genitals to show their place in the social hierarchy of their world. Maybe we just went one better and got a large, smelly chrome pipe that puts out more exhaust than a coal fired locomotive for the same reason.

damn i shoudld buy an antique fire engine----and put a chrome church bell on it----and get polished brass fittings on everything---and the largest pump and suction hose available--but no, then my redneck neighbor would put THREE stacks in his beat up 1989 Ford with the LED lights on it, and run his Harley and his Race Car till 3 am. I think i will stick to a turkey call.. at least then you can kill and eat the competition lol