Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
New Jersey's Governor Corzine wasn't so lucky when his suburban was involved in an accident recently. Guess what his driver was speeding at 91 miles an hour and the Governor did not have a seat belt on. The governor was critically injured with a broken left thigh bone, 11 ribs, collarbone and chest bone. He also fractured vertebrae in his lower back. So you should all consider yourself very fortunate seat belts are the thing. If he had his on he probably would escape serious injury.
N.J. governor's SUV was going 91 mph before crash | KOMO-TV - Seattle, Washington | National & World News
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Speed Kills

Safety is a Perception or at best an assumption.

Someone was on your side - this time....Glad you made it through to warn us all of the above...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #23
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Speed kills, Gun's and house hold cleaners yes they all KILL Give me a brake People kill and that's that
Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPlumber
Speed kills, Gun's and house hold cleaners yes they all KILL Give me a brake People kill and that's that
If you wish to kill yourself, go for it. But there are the innocent victims to consider when you do it with an automobile.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #25
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
IF I WANT TO KILL MY SELF
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
What do you think ... DOA
well u did ask...

the challenge then becomes...

tolerating the thoughts of others.

your photos and story are useful so,

i hope this thread isn't headed for the ditch.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I've been in the fire service since March/1978. Naturally, I've seen lots of wrecks. Pick-ups, VW's, SUV's, Corvettes, Volvos, on and on.

A couple of common denominators:
No seatbelts, or improperly worn.
Drunk. (Duh)
Modified chassis. (Jacked up, Raised, lifted - choose your term)
Too fast for conditions. (Rain, ice, curves, etc.)
Distracted by stereo/radio/cell phone
Even had one distracted by sexual activity.

Many of these are self induced, and the only people hurt are the one(s) at fault. All too often the fool takes out an innocent person just trying to make it to work to support their family. It could be you or me. I get tired of the stupidity. (Although it helps pay the check)

If everyone only took some personal responsibility....

Sorry for venting,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Wasn't it a state trooper driving the governor? You would think he would have not been speeding and have made sure his passenger was belted. 92 in a 65 zone is pretty fast, hmm?

I mean I know you have to keep up with traffic and around here they do just as Terry said, 75 no less then rush up and stop and wait, if traffic gets backed up, and with road construction around here there usually is a wait. But 92 for driving the governor seems excessive.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Ouch!
Rollovers are very rare over here. Having said that, the two I've seen were both caused by cross winds lifting a caravan and taking the TV with it. I know you're all whincing but there was no twisted aluminium, just a million pieces of plywood!
Marc
Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I've been in the fire service since March/1978. Naturally, I've seen lots of wrecks. Pick-ups, VW's, SUV's, Corvettes, Volvos, on and on.

A couple of common denominators:
No seatbelts, or improperly worn.
Drunk. (Duh)
Modified chassis. (Jacked up, Raised, lifted - choose your term)
Too fast for conditions. (Rain, ice, curves, etc.)
Distracted by stereo/radio/cell phone
Even had one distracted by sexual activity.

Many of these are self induced, and the only people hurt are the one(s) at fault. All too often the fool takes out an innocent person just trying to make it to work to support their family. It could be you or me. I get tired of the stupidity. (Although it helps pay the check)

If everyone only took some personal responsibility....

Sorry for venting,
Dave
Venting is good here! Thanks for the reminder.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #31
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Lifted suspension, What lift?? This Is a lift, Its my Daley driver.
Thanks Goodness you're okay. I thought that your new 'Burb would have a roll bar at least (but that would raise your CG even higher). I rolled an S-10 years ago, with by belt on, and still was pretty banged up for weeks. It ended up sideways in a soy bean field ...lucky to have missed the telephone poles and having only bought a 'piece' of the farm

Take it slow,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Wasn't it a state trooper driving the governor? You would think he would have not been speeding and have made sure his passenger was belted. 92 in a 65 zone is pretty fast, hmm?
It becomes habit after a while, running from one end of your area to the other, calls are never near each other. After that, 65 seems awful slow, and are you going to tell the governor to put on his seat belt? (do you like your job?) It is unlikely, but the Governor could have unhooked his seatbelt a few moments before to retrieve a dropped cell phone, the trooper was looking at the Governor instead of the road...Just a possible scenario.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #33
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
the red truck looks like something a girl would drive. The macho types here on the west coast would have a cow bell hanging from the front differential ( the kind you see in the rear view mirror while driving the Lexus in front of them) and a blue sock with 2 softballs in it hanging from the rear bumper. You really need to cowboy up if you move out west

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
the red truck looks like something a girl would drive. The macho types here on the west coast would have a cow bell hanging from the front differential ( the kind you see in the rear view mirror while driving the Lexus in front of them) and a blue sock with 2 softballs in it hanging from the rear bumper. You really need to cowboy up if you move out west
Tim,
Ya got me laughing, I tried to give you karma but couldn't, I quess I recently did.
A friend of mine lived in Pheonix in the 70's. The trend was to lift your truck as high as possible. Some of the idiots raised the 4X4 trucks so high that they had to remove the front driveline due to the radical angle in the front U-joints. Then they would often take a corner too fast and simply tip over.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Kinda like cow tipping?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Cow Tipping? Must be a "Texas thing"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
Kinda like cow tipping?
How to go cow tipping

Ayleen Lindahl

Introduction

Cow tipping is an art in itself. It began many years ago, when a young boy of the name of Tipper decided to make a cow more comfortable as it slept. Thinking that standing while sleeping was cruel and unusual, he set out one night to give 'ol Betsy a rest. Tragically, Tipper fell into a thick cow pie as he tried making his way back to his warm bed. He ended up going to the hospital with a severe paranoia of cows. The next day, his family had a big steak dinner.
For generations after, Texans have engaged in this heightening activity. Young children dream of it during their algebra classes, the rites to passage so close and in their reach. As the 16th birthday approaches, all your peers will gather and perform this ritual with breathless anticipation.

Supplies
  1. 2 12-packs of Beer
  2. Black clothing
  3. Boots (Around cow pastures, wear boots that can be hosed down)
  4. Wire cutters and a flashlight
  5. Your friends Dave and Jerry
Setup
  • Drive Dave and Jerry to the pasture, hand them the beer.
  • Wait ten minutes for them to finish up both packs.
  • Help Dave from truck.
  • Help Dave review his lunch.
  • Place wire cutters in back pocket, and make sure all black clothing is being worn.
  • Quietly approach fence to pasture.
  • Ask Dave for the flashlight. Run back to truck and retrieve flashlight.
  • Cut fencing and wiggle through.
  • Stay hunkered down and try not to giggle as you approach the nearest cow.
  • Beam flashlight quickly into the cow's eyes. If no reaction, you are good to go. Skip ahead to Tipping the cow.
  • If cow bucks, sending Jerry screaming like a woman back to the truck, go on to next step.
  • Run after Jerry, tumble him to ground and hold hand over his mouth.
  • Wait 20 minutes for Farmer to look out the front door and Holler at wolves.
  • Find another cow, repeating the last 5 steps until you find one sleeping.
Tipping the cow
  • Have Dave hold the bottom of cow on one side. (Bottom of the cow is right under the ribs, and on the soft part of the belly.)
  • Have Jerry beside you, with both palms against cows upper back on opposite side. (See Figure 1)
  • Count to three, and PUSH!
  • Back up quickly from the cow, as its legs will fly up toward your face.
  • Slap high fives to Jerry and shout your success.
  • Find out what whimpering sound is.
  • With Jerry's help, pull Dave out from under the cow.
  • Run from farmer. (Duck when you hear shots in the air.)
  • Jump into the truck and speed away into the night.
Congratulations

You have successfully completed your training in Cow Tipping. You are closer to being a true Texan!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thank heaven you weren't seriously hurt. I drive a full sized truck and my wife drives a full sized SUV. I have never rolled anything and hope I, nor my wife and kids, never do. But I have been t-boned by a soft drink truck and hit head-on by a full-sized coupe. Fortunately, I was a passenger on a school bus in the soft-drink truck incident...it still hurt. I was driving a Nissan coupe when hit head on by a '81 Buick Regal...that hurt a lot. That is why we drive tanks. We don't drive in excess of the speed limit but we do keep up and we don't talk on the cell phones while we drive very often and when we do it is via hands free. I take my family's safety very seriously and do what I can to protect us as best I can.

Personally, I think the moniker "SUV" was the worst marketing ploy Detroit could have ever invented. They are trucks and should be driven like trucks not sports anythings. That is why they flip.

During the Goodrich (?) tire issue a few years back, 60 Minutes did a feature story and the young man that flipped his Explorer lost his brother in the accident. Everyone in the Explorer at the time received serious injuries except an infant that was securely strapped in its car seat. The driver was questioned about his blame on Ford. It finally came out that there were five adults in the SUV and one baby. None were wearing seat belts except the baby and he just got a scratch. The brother that died was riding in the cargo section, not in a seat at all. All of the adults were over 250 LBS. And the Explorer was going 85 MPH when the tire blew and the driver lost control.

Summary: The driver was going WAY too fast. The truck was over loaded (per manufacturer's recommendations). There were too many passengers in the truck. The only fatality was from someone riding in the cargo section, not the passenger section of the vehicle. All those who were seriously injured were not wearing seat belts.

When asked if the driver felt he was in any way responsible for the accident, he said NO.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #38
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Da':

Glad y'all came through that horrific crash OK. I have an old Jeep Wagoneer for hauling the trailer and getting into the backcountry, but never imagine that I'm anything like safe in it, depite it's overwhelming mass.

My daily driver is a hotrod Miata, and there have been a couple of very close calls where, had I been driving almost anything else, a bad smashup would have been inevitable, and someone likely would have died. I've also done 360s in it at over 100 MPH on the racetrack, and am pretty sure that the Jeep would have tipped over in a similar maneuver at say 30 MPH.

If you presume that everyday driving is a demolition derby, then mass generally wins. If you decide that avoiding crashes might be a good idea, agility and experience using it can save a lot of grief. I liked the old MG marketing slogan "safety fast".

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foureagles

If you presume that everyday driving is a demolition derby, then mass generally wins. If you decide that avoiding crashes might be a good idea, agility and experience using it can save a lot of grief.
I certainly understand and appreciate your logic and don't disagree. However, with traffic in Atlanta I do presume that everyday driving is a demolition derby and I drive as safely as I can and avoid every crash by planning ahead and looking ahead. But I also presume the person in the lane next to me or driving behind me doesn't because now days 9 out or 10 times he/she is preoccupied talking on a cell phone or shouting at the car in the next lane or at their kids in the back seat or any of a number of other distractions I see. One morning I actually saw a guy with his dome light on reading a book while driving on the interstate...talk about crash avoidance, let me out of here!

Anyway, from the time I started driving some 30 years ago I was taught to drive defensively. That means I start by driving a tank under the assumption that someone else is driving a tank and he/she is probably distracted by one of the aforementioned distractions and might run into me. I keep a sharp look out for other drivers and erratic behavior and give them a wide berth when I can.

One of our local radio personalities bought a Honda Insight and made the ludicrous statement on air that he actually expected folks in SUV's to look out for his safety. To me, he needs to get his head out of the sand (and get it examined!) and realize that no one is going to be responsible for his safety and he needs to take that responsibility for himself and that may just mean putting his safety ahead of the price of a gallon of gas. I made that decision long ago.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested

I mean I know you have to keep up with traffic and around here they do just as Terry said, 75 no less then rush up and stop and wait, if traffic gets backed up, and with road construction around here there usually is a wait. But 92 for driving the governor seems excessive.
yes but they were late for the Imus and Rutgers apology meeting.that is why the speed.