Old 10-14-2016, 12:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Rock Tamers are $249 with free Amazon Prime shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Tamers-M.../dp/B006M9VIRM.

I just replaced a front corner plexi window shield that took a rock before I installed the Rock Tamers.......$650 shipped from Airstream via the Airstream dealer.

Easy choice.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #30
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
I prefer to support Sean at https://www.propridehitch.com/mudflaps/

Any small business owner that provides his personal cell phone number and is reachable over nights and weekends earns my unconditional loyalty for his providing unconditional support.

Even better, he sells them for $199

No brainer.

AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #31
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Rich/dznf0g, I saw that, thanks. Can you please add more pics? I'm trying to figure out what's happening on the opposite side ... it's not really clear.

I had contemplated something with stainless steel ... I had a piece sitting around here for 4 years ... doing some cleaning 2 or 3 weeks ago, I did the unthinkable and decided to get rid of it, even while knowing I might need it for the mudflaps. I swear, every time I ditch something, I need it within a month's time.

Are you observing any material fatigue given the reinforcement limits the flex to a smaller area? I'd think that flex'ing the rubber in the same place, over and over will trash the rubber soon.

I will say that while driving in the rain, the amount of tire spray from the truck's wake is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in comparison to other vehicles I see. Plus, it helps that I left them pretty long... I didn't need to cut them at all with my 3500's high suspension. I probably have 2-1/2" of clearance. Will try to post pics at some point ... I've only pulled my trailer on the highway and on some secondary roads, for a total of about 600 miles, but I have not seen any dings on my trailer yet ... Too early to tell, but I strongly believe that they will mitigate potential for dings to the trailer, at least for pebbles that kick-up from my own tires... Can't do anything about what comes from other vehicles/tractor trailers.
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
Rich/dznf0g, I saw that, thanks. Can you please add more pics? I'm trying to figure out what's happening on the opposite side ... it's not really clear.

I had contemplated something with stainless steel ... I had a piece sitting around here for 4 years ... doing some cleaning 2 or 3 weeks ago, I did the unthinkable and decided to get rid of it, even while knowing I might need it for the mudflaps. I swear, every time I ditch something, I need it within a month's time.

Are you observing any material fatigue given the reinforcement limits the flex to a smaller area? I'd think that flex'ing the rubber in the same place, over and over will trash the rubber soon.

I will say that while driving in the rain, the amount of tire spray from the truck's wake is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in comparison to other vehicles I see. Plus, it helps that I left them pretty long... I didn't need to cut them at all with my 3500's high suspension. I probably have 2-1/2" of clearance. Will try to post pics at some point ... I've only pulled my trailer on the highway and on some secondary roads, for a total of about 600 miles, but I have not seen any dings on my trailer yet ... Too early to tell, but I strongly believe that they will mitigate potential for dings to the trailer, at least for pebbles that kick-up from my own tires... Can't do anything about what comes from other vehicles/tractor trailers.
I have had mine in that configuration for almost 6 years and about 26K miles. Other than normal wear and tear, I see no ill effects from the mods. Note that my flaps are in two sections, both bolted to the horizontal rod. The upper section is rigid, but not the lower.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #33

1968 26' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
I have now had the extra long Duraflap mud flaps for over 5 years.
They still look like new, and my trailer is still dent free.
I do not need to remove them and put them away. I do not have to worry about backing into curbs and parking guards.
I am buying a new to me truck, and I plan to add the duraflap mud flaps to it right away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 dodge 2500 12in wide Xtra long email.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	273525  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Rock Tamers all the way. They are huge and effective when towing, then come off when not towing.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use no more than the optional mud flaps on our EcoDiesel. We tow long distances, there are a few minor dings in the stainless steel segment protectors bit that's why they are there. Nothing in the propane cover. We have a ding high on our trailer and another in the plastic stone guards, those came from meeting other vehicles on the road kicking stones up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
DuraFlaps have been my choice for 20 years and are the best out there. Why would you want to take off your mud flaps?
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
10th year with Rock Tamers

Other than a bit of softening from the exhaust heat on the inside of one flap, we are really pleased how they've kept stones off our Stream for 10 years.

It took me a while but I finally found a guy with a plasma cutter and stainless steel to make the logo for our Rock Tamers. We love the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream logo.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	273822  
Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
Love the logo!

We have been towing with Rock Tamers for 10 plus years. No issues with heat from our diesel exhaust. And, more importantly, the prevention of damage and road dirt/debris has exceeded expectation.

Do you think your craftsman would be interested in duplicating more?

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' FB Flying Cloud Queen
2010 F250 Lariat
Past: 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
Past: 1986 28' Excella Twin

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
Does anyone have the Rock Tamers Mud Flaps? Last year we got stuck going on a Wyoming road that was under repair. They had stripped the pavement down to the gravel/mud subsurface. After 5 miles of this mess the front of our trailer was covered in mud. After cleaning it up we also found several dings. I'd like to prevent future occurances and would like to see if the Rock Tamers are effective in keeping rocks and debris off the trailer.
I got them. They are a necessity to protect your investment. They are ugly but they work. I will send you pictures this coming Saturday.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #40
Site Team

, Minnesota
I use Rocktamers, but I take them off when I'm driving all day on paved highways.
I pull over and slip them on if i'm driving any distance on gravel.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #41

1968 26' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
I am so glad I do not have to remove something like them from my truck after each trip. I will stay with my extra long Duraflap drill-less mud flaps. They keep both my trailer and my truck looking good.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRose View Post
I am so glad I do not have to remove something like them from my truck after each trip. I will stay with my extra long Duraflap drill-less mud flaps. They keep both my trailer and my truck looking good.

The wheel well flaps are good at protecting truck body. But not the trailer.

See also Towtector

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote