Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Restrictions due to price of fuel

Wife and I sold our 28ft CCD a couple of years ago. Want to get a smaller one now (Bambi), but wondered what you guys are doing about cost of fuel...especially diesel now that it is around $4.30 (in my area).

Just wonder if it is the wrong time to purchase any Airstream.
marvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
May I suggest the new flying cloud that is coming out or one of the sport lines...they are pretty light.

Steve
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi and welcome to the Forums.

I tow a 25FB with a diesel.

What I have done to lower my costs is pretty basic. I slowed down.

Last weekend we went on a 450 mi. trip. As soon as I hit the freeway I set the cruise control at 55mph and just leaned back and relaxed.

I've made this trip several times before and I usually refill at 1/2 tank. At my first usual fuel stop I had only burned 1/3 of a tank. That held true at my next usual fuel stop also.

Next time out I'll keep an accurate mpg record to see how much I've actually gained.

Right now is probably the perfect time to buy an Airstream. The money you'll save on purchase will help pay for fuel.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Welcome to the forum and hope to see you on the road in a brand new Airstream! What are we going to do? I can tell you what we won't be doing and that is not Airtreaming. We love traveling in our AS and the fuel costs are not going to slow us down. No we are not lottery winners, we both work full time and will have a daughter in college in three years. Something that almost every American took for granted we knew would come to an end, cheap gas. But what other way can you take a vacation or a bunch of mini vacations (three day weekends) where you can take the comforts of home, your bed, kitchen and bath with you; cook your own meals, and always have it with you? What we spend in the course of seven months in fuel, food, camping sites and what have you would equal a two week vacation involving airfare, hotels and meals out every day. Not to mention rental car and other such items. And with fuel going up don't think airfare is going to go through the roof. Buy your Airstream and enjoy this great country of ours.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I agree and in the end, they have us. We have had no energy policy leadership in this country, and the oil companies own Washington. So, I say enjoy it while you can, you have to have reasonable health to have an Airstream and if you have it use it.

I am already planning our 08-09 15k mile trips, michigan to the west coast twice and plugging in 5.00/gallon. I planned on 4.00 this year and beat it big time with e85 on 60% of the trips. in the end the only way around it is to make more money every year. With the declining dollar we will be in for high inflation for some time to come. All imports will cost more and China and India are taking in more oil every day as they buy cars for the first time in history. Plan on 7 to 8.00 / gallon by 2010 with steady increases annually. If you are retired on a fixed income plan on getting a part time job. Welcome to the new world where the U.S. can no longer dominate all worlds resources, and our middle class is lost to a more third world lower middle class. in a nutshell, sucks to be young, and I worry for my kids big time.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We're driving MORE this year - taking more frequent short trips, and forgetting about going to Octoberfest as we'd planned. Instead, we're planning a 5-6 week trip to Alaska for next year. This year - Minnesota & Canada.
Damn the torpedoes!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Shorter Trip

I canceled my summer reservation today for Montana and made new ones in Colorado--less than half as far away from where we live. We were going to Montana and Glacier NP until we estimated that our diesel cost would be between $1500-$2000.

We have camped in Colorado numerous times and know we will enjoy it but can't help being disappointed not to see Montana for the first time this year. I hope we can go some other summer.
emdubyadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We pay $5.00 a gal. for fuel here now, I told Annie I don't care if it goes to $10.00 a gal. I am not staying here another winter.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We plan to take all of our trips, near and far. We just hate this gas price situation, but are going to continue traveling. We will eat out less, drive slower, and cut back in other areas. Airstream travel is our priority.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We plan to take all of our trips, near and far. We just hate this gas price situation, but are going to continue traveling. We will eat out less, drive slower, and cut back in other areas. Airstream travel is our priority.
Same here.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to all who replied. Just confirms what my wife says, we ARE going to get that Airstream and WILL be traveling next year (she wants to plan a trip to Alaska). Just have to bite the bullet and pay the man at the pump!
marvinr is offline   Reply With Quote