Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 218
Report on Chevy/GMC 1500 with 6.2 engine and Max tow pack

After nearly a year of looking I found and bought a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT crew cab with the hard to find 420 hp 6.2 liter engine and Max tow package. This is a report on using it to pull my Flying Cloud 27, with a Pro Pride hitch. This truck, per the door sticker, has a rated cargo capacity of 1960 lbs. In my shopping, I was not able to find a 1/2 ton crew cab --other than this -- with more than 1730 lbs. capacity per the door sticker. The new F-150 promises over 2,000 lbs. with the max payload package, but that sticks you with the standard 20 gallon fuel tank (!) and Ford isn't making these until the fall. I've taken this combination through some of the Appalachians and on Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. Respecting the limits of the OEM Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer, I drive at 60 or the posted limit, whichever is lower (or as, in my judgment, conditions require). The engine easily pulled the grades I encountered, never going much over 3,000 rpm. I got 12-13 mpg on this part of the trip. The 8-speed transmission will downshift automatically to provide engine braking, even without engaging the cruise control (which down shifts more aggressively). Or you can change to manual mode and control the transmission yourself. Either way, the shifts are smooth and gentle. Most of the grades I encountered were curvy, so I was usually descending somewhat slower than the posted limit, and I slowed the rig to the posted "maximum safe speed" before entering a curve. This felt completely comfortable and drama-free. I used the brakes on descents, but never got them hot enough to smell. We were carrying a total of about 470 lbs of passengers (human and canine) and a modest amount of stuff in the bed (no generators). Other than the high price of required premium gasoline (usually 10-15 cents more than diesel), I have no complaints about the drivetrain; and observed fuel economy was 2-3 more mpg than I expected. This engine has variable displacement, and is very quick to shift to 4-cyl. mode. The suspension is a little underdamped, something that is apparent even when the truck is empty. An insufficient tension on the WD bars can produce an excessively bouncy ride on some roads; adjustment clears this up almost completely. So, if you are like my wife and I and are not thrilled with driving around a 3/4 ton (and you definitely feel the 1500-2000 lbs. additional weight driving these trucks) I think this truck is a good 1/2 ton alternative that provides a substantial cargo capacity almost equal to a lot of 3/4 tons, at least for use east of the Rockies. You will just have to look really hard to find it. Without the max tow package, this truck will have a cargo capacity of around 1500 lbs. This truck has extendable trailer tow mirrors and integrated trailer brake controller. The Max tow package includes a different rear axle and spring set up. I think the tow rating is something like 11,000 lbs. I think if I had a 30-foot trailer, I'd go for the 3/4 ton with a diesel. IIRC, the GVWR for the 30 Classic is 10,000 lbs. vs. 7600 lbs. for my trailer.
__________________

__________________
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Casual camper
 
2015 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
I have a 2014 GMC with the Max Trailering package. Last year we used it to trailer, our then, 2000 - 30' Excella from Delaware to Key West and back and then to Maine and back. It has a 5.3 Liter engine and I had no problem. Everything went well and it only needs Regular gas. According to the trip computer we got an average of 10.8 mpg. I previously had a 2009 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 engine and there is a noticeable difference between the two when towing. Now we have a 2015 - 28' Serenity and I'm looking for a little better fuel economy.
__________________

__________________
Mikem1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
That is indeed a rare find. 2015 F150 has been a disappointment in the payload department. Max Payloads only have 20 gal, big disappointment. Guess the best payload with reasonable features you can find on the lot is the Supercab/XLT with 6 1/2ft bed with tow package. You'll have to spring extra for towing mirrors as none of them are coming with them in my area. Don't like the suicide doors on the Supercab. Guess my Tundra is safe for awhile.

Glad to read you are having a positive experience.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,401
Images: 5
I just finished a 4500 mile trip with the 6.2l, 8-speed and 3.42 gear, NON-maxtow SLT GMC. I have a 30' Classic and wouldn't hesitate to get a maxtow with this setup, unless you have a lot of weight in the bed. For this trip I had little in the bed and I was below all GV specs, and GCWR.

I echo all Bruce says, except for the 30' "caution", if you will.

Overall MPGs 11.1 - 11.5 with a high tank at 12.6 and a low tank at 10.5.

VERY nice powertrain. I would like to see a payload rating bumped to 2400#s in a loaded truck though. If that were to happen, I would not consider a 2500HD.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
Do these 6.2L versions come with 30+ gallon fuel tanks?

Seems like most manufacturers are building their 1/2 tons to tow smaller conventional RV or utility trailers that aren't as heavy or have the tongue weight as most Airstreams 25 and above. They figure anyone towing heavier trailers/5th wheels will go 3/4t or 1t diesel.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,401
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Do these 6.2L versions come with 30+ gallon fuel tanks?

Seems like most manufacturers are building their 1/2 tons to tow smaller conventional RV or utility trailers that aren't as heavy or have the tongue weight as most Airstreams 25 and above. They figure anyone towing heavier trailers/5th wheels will go 3/4t or 1t diesel.

Kelvin
27 gal on double and crew cabs. Might be 31 on a reg cab, but who wants that?
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,401
Images: 5
It's a space thing mostly. Lots of room under a long bed. Cab walls and floor is lower and prohibits tanks extending to under them.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
Echelon73's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 227
I can believe the 6.2L with the eight speed transmission is great tow vehicle. I have a 2007 with the "VortecMax" package, which was 6.0L and the predecessor to the 6.2L they have now. Even back in 2007 when this was a 6.0L engine it had much more power than the 6.0L they use in the 2500 gas powered trucks. Mine even has the older 4L65E transmission which is terrible compared to these newer transmissions and still has plenty of power to tow our Flying Cloud 30. This new 6.2L / 8 speed / max tow and payload would be my ultimate tow vehicle (if I had $50K laying around).
__________________
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I just finished a 4500 mile trip with the 6.2l, 8-speed and 3.42 gear, NON-maxtow SLT GMC. I have a 30' Classic and wouldn't hesitate to get a maxtow with this setup, unless you have a lot of weight in the bed. For this trip I had little in the bed and I was below all GV specs, and GCWR.

I echo all Bruce says, except for the 30' "caution", if you will.

Overall MPGs 11.1 - 11.5 with a high tank at 12.6 and a low tank at 10.5.

VERY nice powertrain. I would like to see a payload rating bumped to 2400#s in a loaded truck though. If that were to happen, I would not consider a 2500HD.
I thought the 8-speed non-max tow came with 3.23 gearing while the max-tow got the 3.42. Am I incorrect? It was the older, 6-speed version that had 3.42 on the regular and 3.73 on the max tow?
__________________
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Bruce - Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to finally find your unicorn and that it's worked out for you!
__________________
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,245
Images: 1
Buce have you taken it over the CAT scales when fully setup for camping? Would be interested in the Front/Rear axle weights.
__________________
Gary
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,401
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
I can believe the 6.2L with the eight speed transmission is great tow vehicle. I have a 2007 with the "VortecMax" package, which was 6.0L and the predecessor to the 6.2L they have now. Even back in 2007 when this was a 6.0L engine it had much more power than the 6.0L they use in the 2500 gas powered trucks. Mine even has the older 4L65E transmission which is terrible compared to these newer transmissions and still has plenty of power to tow our Flying Cloud 30. This new 6.2L / 8 speed / max tow and payload would be my ultimate tow vehicle (if I had $50K laying around).
The 6.0 and 6.2 are in no way related. Completely different engine family. The truck 6.2 is akin to the Camaro and Vette engines with different heads, intake, crank, rods, etc. 6.0 is a cast iron block and the 6.2 is an aluminum block.

6.0 is still used in HDs as it's 4 bolt main and cast iron is needed for gut wrenching construction hauling and loaded off roading at construction sites, etc.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,401
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
I thought the 8-speed non-max tow came with 3.23 gearing while the max-tow got the 3.42. Am I incorrect? It was the older, 6-speed version that had 3.42 on the regular and 3.73 on the max tow?
You are correct....still had my head wrapped around the 6 speed combos.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
Echelon73's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The 6.0 and 6.2 are in no way related. Completely different engine family. The truck 6.2 is akin to the Camaro and Vette engines with different heads, intake, crank, rods, etc. 6.0 is a cast iron block and the 6.2 is an aluminum block.

6.0 is still used in HDs as it's 4 bolt main and cast iron is needed for gut wrenching construction hauling and loaded off roading at construction sites, etc.

I think you are referring to the "LQ9" which they use in the 3/4 ton HD trucks. Mine has the aluminum "L76" which I believe came from the Australian Holden lineup. They only offered it from 2007-2009 in the 1/2 ton trucks. It was then replaced with the 6.2L in 2010. It is a completely different engine than what is in the 3/4 trucks though.
__________________

__________________
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1500


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silverado 1500 W/Max tow package Skee75 Tow Vehicles 44 06-07-2015 08:49 PM
2014 Chevy/GMC 1500 6.2L + max tow? DC Bruce Tow Vehicles 87 02-11-2015 08:17 PM
To Pack or Not Pack gaylejoe On The Road... 50 02-09-2010 09:03 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.