Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #141
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
A few questions for those who know the options and packages available...

1) I want the front "bench" seat. I think it may be 40/20/40 or 60/40 - either is fine with me but I want to comfortably carry 6 people (including the driver) with a crew cab. Reading the options/packages for the LTZ and the SLT it appears the "bench" seat is available but the vehicles I see on the dealer lots all have front bucket seats. Am I overlooking something? I suspect I can order the vehicle with the "bench" configuration. Am I correct?

2) Tow mirrors. I am not necessarily a fan of the Chevrolet/GMC tow mirrors. As odd as it may sound, I prefer a CIPA slip-on mirror instead of towing mirrors. Do all 1500 LTZ/SLT, max towing vehicles come with tow mirrors? Is the answer the same for 2015 and 2016 model years.

3) Related to number 2... If I see LTZ/SLT vehicles on dealer lot with tow mirrors does that automatically mean the vehicle has the max towing package? If so, that makes it easier to browse around on dealer lots without the need to look at every window sticker.

4) Also related to number 2... I'm looking around on used vehicle web sites but many of them refer to having a tow hitch and 7-pin connector but I've not seen any web sites that specifically refer to used Chevrolet and GMC vehicles with the max towing package. So, if I see trucks on used car web sites with the towing mirrors am I assured of identifying a vehicle with the max towing package?

5) Which digit on the VIN identifies the max towing package or do I have to cross reference the VIN to a build sheet to see if a vehicle has the max towing package? If the VIN does have a tow package digit what should I look for - that is, which code represents max towing package?

Thanks.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Lucius,
Study the product brochure details you posted on the previous page for the answers. Here's my take on your questions
1. You can order the front bench seat or bucket seats with the Max Tow package.
2. The GM towing mirrors are part of the required deal. They are excellent mirrors.
3. If you see a 1500 series truck with the GM towing mirrors there's a fair chance that the vehicle has the max tow package. However, these trucks are really rare in a 2014 or 2015 model. Almost all of the trucks that you'll see on a dealer's lot with tow mirrors are a 2500 or 3500 series truck.
4. Towing mirrors are available separately, so they do not guarantee the max tow package in any way. There are probably fewer than 50 1500 series trucks with the 6.2L engine and max tow package at all GM dealerships (all Chevy and GMC) in the US right now. These are really rare and generally you'll have to order a new one if you are particular about colors and options.
5. There is no digit/character in the VIN that specifies the Max Tow Package. There will be a letter for the 6.2L engine.

I hope that this helps. All 5.3 and 6.2 Liter trucks with the max tow package will have a max gross vehicle weight rating (MGVW) of 7,600 pounds, but that doesn't really help very much in finding one. Out of about five fairly large Chevy and GMC dealerships in Wichita, KS, there's only one of these trucks presently in stock.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not all 6.2s are maxtow. Look for option code NHT on the SPID label for used vehicles. It'll be on the window sticker for new.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Located in the upper glove box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457840071176.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	258662  

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
When I decided to buy a 2015 at black Friday sale time, there were 6 units in a 300 mile RADIUS of Chicago.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #146
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I "chatted" with an online GM rep recently and was able to locate three (two Silverado and one Sierra) 1500, 6.2L, max trailering, front bench seat trucks but not in my metro area. We had to extend the search to 1000 miles! Of course, my front bench seat criteria makes my chances very unlikely of finding "my" truck on a dealer lot.

I'm learning more and spending time understanding the options list I posted previously. I'm also finding that most salesmen are not as in tune with their products as I would like them to be. One salesman told me all trucks with LTZ or SLT automatically come with a center console - that is bucket seats. He also told me the tow mirrors only come with max trailering package. I suspected that was not true based on the options matrix but that's why I posed the questions here.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
They do "automatically " come with buckets....that's standard....or automatic in the order process. They have to "force" the bench option, which will also drive other content changes.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There is also more than one trailer mirror. One is manual and all black. The optional is chrome and black, power folding, has turn signal lighting in the housing and glass, and most cool, is the led backup spot lights.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #149
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I'm giving some serious consideration to buying one of these trucks. As I mentioned above, I had an online chat with a Chevrolet/GMC rep and he helped me identify three trucks within 1000 miles (yes, we had to go that far) that might be suitable.

From there I contacted the internet sales agent at the dealer that has a truck with suitable exterior and interior color and I'm working on details to understand their selling price.

Right now I tow with a 1996 C2500, 7.4L Suburban or a 2005 K2500, 8.1L Suburban. Both vehicles are excellent towing machines when it comes to pulling our ~8000 LB trailer.

So my question for folks on this thread, particularly those that own the 6.2L, 8-speed max trailering Silverado/Sierra....

Will I be happy with the torque and horsepower of the 6.2L? The last thing I want to do is spend this amount of $ and be unhappy when I go up a hill or enter a freeway on-ramp.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, you will find it outperforms both of your current vehicles

Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Will I be happy with the torque and horsepower of the 6.2L? The last thing I want to do is spend this amount of $ and be unhappy when I go up a hill or enter a freeway on-ramp.

Thanks.
I agree with Rich. The engine will absolutely outperform either the 7.4 or the 8.1 engine except for some small loss in low end torque. However, going from a 4 speed 4L80E to an 8L80 transmission is a huge advantage. The combination of the two (L86 engine with variable valve timing, direct injection and cylinder deactivation plus the really seamless 8 speed transmission) are a phenomenal improvement. You'll have more usable power and improved fuel economy. There's almost no comparison.

I've driven all of these vehicles and I used to be a diesel truck mechanic who became an engineer in time (albeit in aviation electronics). Some of the safety features in the K2XX (2014 and after) GM trucks are really impressive too. My expectation is that this truck will do a great job of towing my 34 foot Airstream.

Steve
Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, the low 1, 2 and 3rd gears make a huge difference in low speed grunt work.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post

Thanks.
A few years back I was in a similar situation as you, trying to find a truck with the "max" package. With GM's help I was able to find a truck with the exact setup I wanted. Only problem; the truck was in St Louis and I am in NC. I flew out there, bought that truck. The 6.2 engine was the strongest 1500 I have ever driven. You will be happy with the way it tows/pulls. With all that torque the only problem is keeping the rear tires from breaking traction.

I wrecked that truck then bought a new 1500 without the "max" package. I was not happy. So I ordered a new one with the "max" package with the 5.3. Either engines are great!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
After nearly a year of looking I found and bought a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT crew cab with the hard to find 420 hp 6.2 liter engine and Max tow package. This is a report on using it to pull my Flying Cloud 27, with a Pro Pride hitch. This truck, per the door sticker, has a rated cargo capacity of 1960 lbs. In my shopping, I was not able to find a 1/2 ton crew cab --other than this -- with more than 1730 lbs. capacity per the door sticker. The new F-150 promises over 2,000 lbs. with the max payload package, but that sticks you with the standard 20 gallon fuel tank (!) and Ford isn't making these until the fall. I've taken this combination through some of the Appalachians and on Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. Respecting the limits of the OEM Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer, I drive at 60 or the posted limit, whichever is lower (or as, in my judgment, conditions require). The engine easily pulled the grades I encountered, never going much over 3,000 rpm. I got 12-13 mpg on this part of the trip. The 8-speed transmission will downshift automatically to provide engine braking, even without engaging the cruise control (which down shifts more aggressively). Or you can change to manual mode and control the transmission yourself. Either way, the shifts are smooth and gentle. Most of the grades I encountered were curvy, so I was usually descending somewhat slower than the posted limit, and I slowed the rig to the posted "maximum safe speed" before entering a curve. This felt completely comfortable and drama-free. I used the brakes on descents, but never got them hot enough to smell. We were carrying a total of about 470 lbs of passengers (human and canine) and a modest amount of stuff in the bed (no generators). Other than the high price of required premium gasoline (usually 10-15 cents more than diesel), I have no complaints about the drivetrain; and observed fuel economy was 2-3 more mpg than I expected. This engine has variable displacement, and is very quick to shift to 4-cyl. mode. The suspension is a little underdamped, something that is apparent even when the truck is empty. An insufficient tension on the WD bars can produce an excessively bouncy ride on some roads; adjustment clears this up almost completely. So, if you are like my wife and I and are not thrilled with driving around a 3/4 ton (and you definitely feel the 1500-2000 lbs. additional weight driving these trucks) I think this truck is a good 1/2 ton alternative that provides a substantial cargo capacity almost equal to a lot of 3/4 tons, at least for use east of the Rockies. You will just have to look really hard to find it. Without the max tow package, this truck will have a cargo capacity of around 1500 lbs. This truck has extendable trailer tow mirrors and integrated trailer brake controller. The Max tow package includes a different rear axle and spring set up. I think the tow rating is something like 11,000 lbs. I think if I had a 30-foot trailer, I'd go for the 3/4 ton with a diesel. IIRC, the GVWR for the 30 Classic is 10,000 lbs. vs. 7600 lbs. for my trailer.
I had the 6.2 in my Yukon and towed my 25 in the mountains of NC and WVA. It did great till 110,000 miles and the engine had a major internal problem that required rebuilding. I immediately traded it for a Diesel. I have since been told the 6.2 is not a great engine for heavy duty towing. The 6.0 is more of a truck engine and handles the load of towing better. I am sure the eight speed transmission was better than my five in the 2010. I got 8 to 9 MPG and the mountains of WVA will separate the good tow vehicles from the not so good ones. I recommend the GMC diesel highly!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
I had the 6.2 in my Yukon and towed my 25 in the mountains of NC and WVA. It did great till 110,000 miles and the engine had a major internal problem that required rebuilding. I immediately traded it for a Diesel. I have since been told the 6.2 is not a great engine for heavy duty towing. The 6.0 is more of a truck engine and handles the load of towing better. I am sure the eight speed transmission was better than my five in the 2010. I got 8 to 9 MPG and the mountains of WVA will separate the good tow vehicles from the not so good ones. I recommend the GMC diesel highly!
That's partially true. An all aluminum block is not for HEAVY grunt work....like towing a backhoe off-road in uneven terrain and pullin' stumps. That's why the 6.2 isn't available in a 2500. It is assumed the preponderance of 2500 buyers will be commercial buyers.
That said, the aluminum block 6.2 is way more than substantial enough for any travel trailer towing....of course (soap box time) assuming you stay within the "numbers". (true for ANY vehicle)

Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #156
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Champaign , Illinois
Lingenfelter supercharger

Has anyone installed a supercharger on a 5.3 V8? Lingenfelter advertises 475 hp with theirs and it seems like an alternative if you can't find 6.2 V8
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The Lingenfelter Supercharger that you're talking about is a Magnuson Supercharger Kit installed by Lingenfelter but with a Lingenfelter tune. Both the Magnuson and the Edlebrock Aftermarket kits use Eaton Superchargers.

Boosting the output via supercharger (or turbocharger) is more expensive than the 6.2L Ecotec3 engine and will likely lack the 8 speed transmission. Also, you won't have the bigger radiator, rear axle, etc.

Steve
Old 04-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
4 days with the new Denali, 6.2, the 8 speed and the magnetic shocks, and I am very pleased with the upgrade over my 2014 5.3, 6 speed with the all terrain package. Both trucks were the new cab design so all aspects are the same other than what's mentioned above. A noticeable difference in power, the transmission seems well matched and the magnetic shock package seems to take the pogo effect out that I was getting with the all terrain package. I do not have max tow so am limited as to what I can haul in the back, but my wife and I and the dog, we travel light with the International 27. Happy with the upgrade, like the Denali package and wanted to stay in the 1500 chassis because 80 percent of my miles are not hauling a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	260042  
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
4 days with the new Denali, 6.2, the 8 speed and the magnetic shocks, and I am very pleased with the upgrade over my 2014 5.3, 6 speed with the all terrain package. Both trucks were the new cab design so all aspects are the same other than what's mentioned above. A noticeable difference in power, the transmission seems well matched and the magnetic shock package seems to take the pogo effect out that I was getting with the all terrain package. I do not have max tow so am limited as to what I can haul in the back, but my wife and I and the dog, we travel light with the International 27. Happy with the upgrade, like the Denali package and wanted to stay in the 1500 chassis because 80 percent of my miles are not hauling a trailer.
Without the maxtow, what all are you loosing? Do you loose the extra cooling in oil cooler, trany, and radiator? I am looking at this engine also, but with all the bells it is pushing $50K after discounts.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Assuming a non- Maxtow has HD towing package, you will lose:

1) Rear Spring rating (Maxtow has heavier rear springs)
2) Heavier 9.73" rear axle with beefier housing
3) Maxtow has 3.42 gear; non-maxtow has 3.23
4) Shocks are different
5) ITBC (unless optioned in a non-maxtow)
6) enhanced cooling radiator
7) 400 pounds in GVWR and Payload and rear axle capacity

Tags