Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Eric, that just depends on how much weight you plan on putting in the bed. I have about 800 pounds of toys and gear, so a couple of adult sized rear passengers (eventually for you) would overload me when I take all the gear with me. If you plan on trading before the girls are 15 or so....or don't take a lot of gear, it's more than adequate for your needs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Thank you, Rich!

Eric
Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Btw, Eric...my door sticker payload capacity is 2036#. Loaded LTZ doublecab regular bed. I assume you would get a crew cab. Subtract 200# from payload capacity.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Yep, you're correct. Arghh... There is no perfect solution.

The thing is, I can buy a similarly optioned SLT 2500 gasser for basically the same price as the 1500. Maybe I should give in and just get the HD as payload should not be a concern.

So excited for the trailer, not at all excited for the TV. #Frustrated...

Eric
Old 01-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #105
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinbelld View Post
Yep, you're correct. Arghh... There is no perfect solution.

The thing is, I can buy a similarly optioned SLT 2500 gasser for basically the same price as the 1500. Maybe I should give in and just get the HD as payload should not be a concern.

So excited for the trailer, not at all excited for the TV. #Frustrated...

Eric
I've read this thread and been looking and Chevrolet/GMC web site periodically and it's not apparent to me that a 2500 can be purchased with the 6.2L engine? Is that correct? Is there a way around this? What are the reason(s) the 2500 is not available with 6.2L? I realize the OP of this thread is discussing the 1500 with 6.2L so I apologize for the tangent.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
2500 is available with 6.0 only. It is a cast iron block and head motor better suited for the gut wrenching fleet and farm type work. Aluminum blocks can twist a bit under abusive situations which nagatively affects long term durability.
None of this is a concern for road trailer towing. I'd love to see a derated 2500 with a 6.2 and 8 speed sold to retail recreational uses only.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oops, I meant 6.0 had cast iron block and aluminum heads.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Pickuptrucks.com along with Cars.com has just rated the 6.2/8L80 the best tow vehicle in the half ton class. See Texas Showdown results.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
@Eric-
Now I'm 3 months into a cross-country full time adventure with this truck that I started the thread. I'm pulling a Flying Cloud 27 with a total passenger weight of about 460 lbs. I really do think this is the best choice if you don't want to deal with the additional bulk of a 3/4 ton. We recently completed a 10 day loop from LA to Tucson with stops at Organ Pipe National Monument, Imperial Dunes, Catalina State Park and Anza-Borrego. For the entire trip our fuel consumption averaged 13.6 mpg, at speeds no higher than 55 (California) or 60 (elsewhere). You're not going to get that out of a 6.0 in a 3/4 ton. First, you're lugging around 1200 pounds more vehicle weight and second, the 6.0/6-speed is a much less efficient engine/drivetrain combination. Typically, the 6.2 loafs along at a quiet 1700 rpm going down the highway. The 6.0 isn't going to do that. When I test drove the 6.0, it seemed to work hard to get out of its own exhaust, even empty. If I were going to go 3/4 ton gas, I'd go for the Ram 6.4 which felt more powerful. After thousands of miles towing in all kinds of terrain, I'm perfectly happy. If I were pulling a 10,000 gross weight Classic 30, I'd probably go 3/4 ton diesel, mostly because of the superior engine braking of the diesel exhaust brake. But this combination works fine with an excellent weight distribution hitch like the ProPride. In the bed, I carry a 3kw Honda generator, a very heavy tool box, a "rug" that is too big, a trunk and a couple of duffel bags of out-of-season clothes and shoes, 2 gallons of gas, a small grill, a big bag of food for my 100 lb. dog and my portable satellite dish. So, it's full. This is a "short box," so if you got the longer standard box, you'd be able to carry more stuff. If my 3 daughters were much younger than they are, I could see having enough capacity for them and their stuff for weekend or 2-week vacation trips. OTOH, 5 in my trailer would be a little cozy.
BTW, the empty fuel mileage for the 6.2 @ 65 mph exactly duplicates my experience bringing my truck home empty from Denver at the same speed.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I've been watching this thread with interest. Although I have struggled with GM products and headroom this truck is otherwise on the short list of available 1/2 ton trucks. Not sure if I want anything this large anymore but I sure like what GM has done with these!
I'd likely want a Denali and I have no need for the max tow.
We will see!
BB
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I've been watching this thread with interest. Although I have struggled with GM products and headroom this truck is otherwise on the short list of available 1/2 ton trucks. Not sure if I want anything this large anymore but I sure like what GM has done with these!
I'd likely want a Denali and I have no need for the max tow.
We will see!
BB
Maxtow does give you about 400 pounds more payload capacity...even if you don't need the trailer or GCWR capacity. Maybe you don't need the payload capacity either?

Old 02-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Maxtow does give you about 400 pounds more payload capacity...even if you don't need the trailer or GCWR capacity. Maybe you don't need the payload capacity either?
We really don't... We have been living with 1200 pounds capacity in our F-150 and although that is close we really have no need for much more.

I'm more interested in ride quality when empty as 75% of my mileage is not towing. It is all overkill when your pulling a 16' Bambi!
BB
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, in that case...I towed last summer with a non-maxtow 6.2L 8 speed Sierra double cab regular bed with a 3.23 gear and it did very well, even though I was overloaded by RGAWR, payload, and trailer weight. With your needs, it'd be great. It had 1670# payload capacity, per door label.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
We really don't... We have been living with 1200 pounds capacity in our F-150 and although that is close we really have no need for much more.

I'm more interested in ride quality when empty as 75% of my mileage is not towing. It is all overkill when your pulling a 16' Bambi!

BB

Have you looked at the new GM small diesel pickups? GMC is coming out with a Canyon in the Denali trim. With the 2.8l diesel you'll get great economy and still have 1400lbs payload and something like 7000lbs towing. I have no idea how much headroom it has but my understanding is that it's got wonderful road manners.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Actually, if you fit, even the Gas Colorado/Canyon might fit your needs. My brother-in-law just got one and pulled a 7000 mile trip with a 3000# sob and gear and loves it.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Actually, if you fit, even the Gas Colorado/Canyon might fit your needs. My brother-in-law just got one and pulled a 7000 mile trip with a 3000# sob and gear and loves it.

Very true.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I am going to look at the Canyon/Colorado to see if I fit. I am also interested in the upcoming Ridgeline... Each of these should be easier to live with than the "full size" 1/2 ton truck we've had for the past 6 years.
Then again, I really like my current trucks size at times so I really have no idea how this will turn out! All I know for sure is that I will likely not purchase another Ford...
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
I am going to look at the Canyon/Colorado to see if I fit. I am also interested in the upcoming Ridgeline... Each of these should be easier to live with than the "full size" 1/2 ton truck we've had for the past 6 years.
Then again, I really like my current trucks size at times so I really have no idea how this will turn out! All I know for sure is that I will likely not purchase another Ford...

Let us know what you think of the little trucks, I'm curious.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
The great thing about Colorado/Canyon diesel is that it comes with exhaust brake. Neither Ram Eco Diesel nor (surprisingly) Titan XD have exhaust brakes. This makes them the only non HD diesel truck that have exhaust brakes. Colorado/Canyon seem to have much more payload capacity than Ram Eco Diesel as well, whose payload is on the low side.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
@Eric-
Now I'm 3 months into a cross-country full time adventure with this truck that I started the thread. I'm pulling a Flying Cloud 27 with a total passenger weight of about 460 lbs. I really do think this is the best choice if you don't want to deal with the additional bulk of a 3/4 ton. We recently completed a 10 day loop from LA to Tucson with stops at Organ Pipe National Monument, Imperial Dunes, Catalina State Park and Anza-Borrego. For the entire trip our fuel consumption averaged 13.6 mpg, at speeds no higher than 55 (California) or 60 (elsewhere). You're not going to get that out of a 6.0 in a 3/4 ton. First, you're lugging around 1200 pounds more vehicle weight and second, the 6.0/6-speed is a much less efficient engine/drivetrain combination. Typically, the 6.2 loafs along at a quiet 1700 rpm going down the highway. The 6.0 isn't going to do that. When I test drove the 6.0, it seemed to work hard to get out of its own exhaust, even empty. If I were going to go 3/4 ton gas, I'd go for the Ram 6.4 which felt more powerful. After thousands of miles towing in all kinds of terrain, I'm perfectly happy. If I were pulling a 10,000 gross weight Classic 30, I'd probably go 3/4 ton diesel, mostly because of the superior engine braking of the diesel exhaust brake. But this combination works fine with an excellent weight distribution hitch like the ProPride. In the bed, I carry a 3kw Honda generator, a very heavy tool box, a "rug" that is too big, a trunk and a couple of duffel bags of out-of-season clothes and shoes, 2 gallons of gas, a small grill, a big bag of food for my 100 lb. dog and my portable satellite dish. So, it's full. This is a "short box," so if you got the longer standard box, you'd be able to carry more stuff. If my 3 daughters were much younger than they are, I could see having enough capacity for them and their stuff for weekend or 2-week vacation trips. OTOH, 5 in my trailer would be a little cozy.
BTW, the empty fuel mileage for the 6.2 @ 65 mph exactly duplicates my experience bringing my truck home empty from Denver at the same speed.
Well, I've come full circle and revisited this thread after seeing the article about how the Sierra won the 1/2 ton truck towing contest. Just re-read the whole thing. Tonight, this feels like the right way to go. I'm sure I'll change my mind in the morning...

Eric

Tags