Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pat, I hear you, and don'y think you're off base at all. It's a personal needs thing. If there were some more rear axle capacity on the maxtow 1500, there would be no question for me. I'm still on the fence.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Rich,
Appreciate your comment… A very hard decision to make.. Looking to see if anyone else has gone this route or not…Might just wait and see what other changes the 16's have available….
Pat

Old 08-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Rockwood , Maine
Pat, I believe you would find that the engine will have all the power you need, and the chassis will pull the weight comfortably, the issue seems to be what's left for legal payload in the vehicle itself. If you can live with the payload limit you will be able to enjoy the ride of a 1500 chassis when not towing. Good luck with your research and decision.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Trent Woods , North Carolina
Pat,

I have a 2012 Chevy 1/2 ton pulling a 2012 Serenity 25FB. I have been to the scales to confirm my rig is within specs and that my WD bars on my Propride are set properly. I do not need to haul much stuff, my grill, some tools, our camping chairs, a small air compressor, and sometimes my Yamaha 2K generator. Just me, my wife, and the dog in the cab.
I love the ride of the 1/2 ton and manage about 13 mpg for general towing. I have been through the Blue Ridge mountains and on steep grades I am in 4th gear in the truck lane, but there is still more available if I put my foot down.
I might have liked the bigger V8, but I could never rationalize the cost or discomfort of a bigger truck with a diesel. Moreover, my truck gets intermittent local use when not towing, horrible duty for a diesel. I'd probably be growing algae in a diesel tank.
I am very satisfied with what I have.
Larry
Old 08-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Pat
I can understand fully, having test driven a 2500 with both the diesel and the gas engine. The max tow package gives me 1960 lbs cargo capacity. If I recall correctly, the 2500 gives you 500 more lbs. I have not obsessed about weighing axles on a CAT scale to be able to tell you how much tongue weight is being move off the rear axle by the ProPride hitch. I can tell you that I have 1400 lb bars and, without them engaged, the back of my truck sags and the rear tires bulge out noticeably. With the bars engaged, the truck (and trailer) are level and the tires look the same on all four wheels. My only complaint is that the suspension is a little underdamped, which is apparent even driving around an empty truck. If you don't dial in enough weight transfer the truck/trailer combo can bounce up and down through several cycles. Proper WD set up reduces but does not eliminate that "porpoising" issue. Was completely comfortable with the truck's performance uphill and down crossing the highest part of WVa a few weeks ago at 60 mph. I can't imagine that this truck wouldn't work fine with a 25-footer. Given that the overall weight of the 25-footer is less, the porpoising might not even happen.
Only other complaint is that the premium gas required by the 6.2 is a little higher than diesel. I think fuel consumption is very close. If a salesman tries to tell you that premium is optional, don't believe him. RTFM and it's clear that engine damage can result from using lower octane fuel and the General's warranty probably won't cover it.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The 91 Octane isn't a firm requirement. Below is from the 2015 owner manual. In fact, I spaced out and used 87 for about 3 or 4 tankfuls (driving solo) and never heard any knock and performance was fine. However, when hitching up, I realized it, because it knocked. Fortunately tank was below half and I filled with 91 and it was fine (mixed was 89ish). I think mid-grade is certainly fine for solo driving, and 87 probably is here in the flatlands and you don't have a heavy foot. Experiment and see. If it knocks, move up a grade at a time, but always tow with premium.

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code J), use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 91 octane rating or higher, the engine needs service."

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Compare that quote with these 2 engins in the vette:

"If equipped with the LT1 engine, use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 91 octane rating or higher, the engine needs service.

If equipped with the LT4 supercharged engine, use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. If the octane is less than 91, damage to the engine may occur and may void the vehicle warranty. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher, the engine needs service. "

Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
DCBruce, you have the 3.42 rather than the 3.73? Is the 3.73 actually an option here on the 1500? I haven't seen many/if any that have the 3.73, but is that the preferred to 3.42?

Oh my! I think I am seriously having dreams about tow vehicles these days! ha ha

I do think that close to 2000lbs payload would be pretty safe/sufficient for us and I do like Chevy simply b/c I've had good luck with them in the past - our current Tahoe is 10 years old with 150,000 miles and NO motor issues whatsoever. We call her old reliable

Admittedly, I love the interior of the F150 more, but without max payload (which is apparently still not available with F150) 1900ish payload from Silverado 1500 seems to be the most I've seen without getting into the 2500 zone.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
3.73 is only on the 5.3l maxtow. 6.2l has 3.42.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Is the 3.42 acceptable?

Or stated differently, would you rather have the larger 6.2L motor or the 3.73 for towing if you had to choose one?
Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
6.2l with a 3.42 and 8 speed is MORE than enough. I pulled my 9000# Classic all summer (long trip from Chicago to Keys and back) with a non-maxtow 6.2l with a 3.23 and was VERY impressed. 3.42 would be even better.

With my rig, I wouldn't consider a 5.3.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Yeah, the gear spread on the 8 speed is huge. The 3.42 is more than low enough. The non max tow version is a 3.23. Yeah the 8 and 6 speeds are totally different animals.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
1500 Max Tow 6.2

We have had the new truck out a couple of times now and it just continues to impress me with not only the power but the management of the power/torque through the 8 speed and final drive ratio combinations. I was happy with the 5.3 in the Yukon xl but I knew I needed that little bit more than it could put out. Along came the 6.2 Max Tow and I have never looked back. Our gas prices have fallen again and are close to the cost of diesel so the fear of gas pricing has gone away again, for now.
we are heading off to Florida in three weeks and will be able to get a better idea of performance in I81 heading south through Penn. The hills will make it work a little more than what we typically see around here. I do not think that I will be disappointed or surprised by how it works. it is a great combination pulling the 31 classic with the Hensley. Gotta love it!
Pete
Old 08-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Anchorage , Alaska
Again, quite pleasurable to read the comments several of you left. I have no doubt that my Duramax is the better tow vehicle. However, as a regular vehicle to use daily, it kinda sucks… Pretty clumsy to drive around town, and I'm not sure in a couple of years whether I'll be able to hoist myself up into the rear bed. Silly thing sits about 4 ft. off the ground.
I'm okay with the smaller 1500 being 80% the tow vehicle the Duramax is. And I'm comfortable with only going 60 mph. versus the 75 I find myself doing way too often with the 3/4 ton.
At this point, I think my final decision will be what it's going to cost to make the switch over to the 6.2. Not sure if I want to pay any difference at all.
Pat

Tags