Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
I think you are referring to the "LQ9" which they use in the 3/4 ton HD trucks. Mine has the aluminum "L76" which I believe came from the Australian Holden lineup. They only offered it from 2007-2009 in the 1/2 ton trucks. It was then replaced with the 6.2L in 2010. It is a completely different engine than what is in the 3/4 trucks though.

Yes that is all true, and I re-read your post and thought that was what you meant, but I believe that the holden 6.0 (Also used in the SSR, I THINK), is not really related to the current 6.2. I believe it is a completely different casting and shares few if any parts with the current 6.2 in cars, and even less with 6.2 truck motors. In fact, the Gen3 Vortec family shares little with the Gen2 Vortecs. I may be wrong here, as I don't focus much on non-fleet type vehicles, but I think the old L76 was only in high performance trucks like SS in that 2007 - 2009 time frame. Also, IIRC high end Cad and GMC SUVs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Either way, I agree that a 1500 truck with a larger V8, proper gearing, and heavier payload can actually make a great tow vehicle for even the larger Airstreams.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
DC Bruce, I believe the Sierra 1500 crew cab can come with either of two different bed sizes. How long is your bed?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have the short box, which, if memory serves, is 5'8". Less room for stuff=less opportunity to overload. 😅 I also have a lightweight bed cover, which is sufficient to keep the rain out. Interestingly, all of the 6.2/max tow combinations I found were short box. Don't know why this is, because the combination theoretically is available with the long box. Rear axle ratio is 3:42, which works because of the lower first gear in the 8-speed tranny, as compared to the 6-speed. IMHO, having driven both transmissions with this engine, the 8-speed is definitely worth having. The ratios of the 6-speed are just awkward. Also, having driven both V-8s with the 6-speed, the 6.2 engine is definitely worth it, if you can tolerate the more expensive fuel. The 5.3 feels weaker than it really is; you feel like you're flogging it to get it to accelerate at more than a leisurely pace. Also, N.B. the 8-speed comes only with the big engine. That may change in the future, and the 5.3 with the 8-speed might be a whole different animal than it is with the 6-speed. I will say in normal driving, the 6.2 doesn't feel any quicker than the '14 or '15 3.5 Ecoboost even though it is substantially more powerful and has somewhat more torque. However, like all turbocharged engines, the Ecoboost has a somewhat non-linear throttle response. I suspect the V-8 might get a little better fuel economy, especially towing. Turbocharged engines run rich under boost to cool the combustion chamber to avoid pre-ignition and other nasty situations.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Rockwood , Maine
If you have ridden in both? How would you describe the ride compared to the 1500 without max tow when not towing anything? I had heard one owner describe it has half way between the 1500 and 2500? Somewhat stiffer?Also is the premium fuel mandatory or optional on 6.2. Howard
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
91 octane is recommended and some of the owners at the tahoeyukon forum have noted some knock when running regular fuel. Frankly, it's just not worth it, IMO to put regular gas in it, it's not THAT much more expensive.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have noted no knock when running solo with 87 octane. But knocks often while towing without 91 octane. Never tried 89, but like Mr. Barnhart says, it's not that much more expensive in the scheme of things.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Herndon , Virginia
2014 F150 6.2L Does Well Too

I have had a similarly positive experience with a 2014 F-150 Super Crew with the 6.2L V-8, tow package, extendable mirrors and 3.73 (I think) rear end. We bought the 2014 F-150 Platinum with the 6.2L in August 14 when I discovered the 6.2L wasn't available in the 2015 F-150. We bought our AS 27 International Serenity in October. Argued with myself and researched for a year between the EcoBoost and the 6.2L -- is the 6.2L too much power/too low mileage? Will the Ecoboost be underpowered up steep hills, spend most of its time at max RPM and make me crazy? So it turned out the F-150 is a total pleasure to tow with, plenty of power, stable and the tow/haul mode is great - touch the brake and get a downshift. Mileage is running ~10 mpg thru hilly terrain, with a 35 gallon gas tank I can live with that, better than I feared. Around town mileage is 11-12, and since I'm retired now and low miles, not a big deal. I had the dealer install Corsa duals and the quick off the line V-8 plus the nice rumble from the duals is always a pleasure. My other hobby is old Mustangs, and the 6.2L is also know as the 2012-13 Mustang Boss 302 motor. I probably coulda lived with the Ecoboost, but my heart's with a big V8. Yowza.
66coupe
Old 07-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Is that 6.2L in your F150 the same engine they put in an F250 gas? I would think the extra 1000+lbs of the F250 would hurt that engine's performance.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The max tow package is a slightly stiffer ride than without, but much less stiff than the Chevy 2500 with either the gasoline or Diesel engine, both of which I've driven. I'd be hard pressed to distinguish the max tow package ride from either the '14 F-150 (with max payload and max tow) or the '15 F150. If anything the F150 is less compliant than my GMC. My wife commented that the F150 "felt like a sports car" (we owned a BMW Z3 for 12 years). Honestly, the differences in ride among all of the 1/2 tons I drove were subtle, and the reason we didn't go for a 3/4 ton did not have to do with ride, or price. We could have had a Silverado LT crew cab with the Duramax for the same price we paid for our truck. Regarding fuel, one knucklehead salesman said we could run regular in the 6.2. Following the well-known principle of RTFM, I did read what the manual said. Basically, it said you can do it if you have to, but get 91 octane in there ASAP. Detonation ("knocking") can cause serious engine damage, which just might not be covered by warranty if it's the result of using low octane fuel. As others have pointed out, if you "do the math" buying the specified fuel is cheap compared to replacing the engine. That said, the fuel cost of operating the Ecoboost might be a little less, notwithstanding the slightly worse fuel economy.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
How times change. Diesel engine costs more ($7K or so). 6-8 months ago Diesel was more expensive than gas, sometimes a $1+. Just looked. Local convenience place today Diesel $2.54, reg $2.57 and 91 Oct $3.02. In the scheme of things everything is relative. Even happier now that I have a diesel. 6 months ago didn't have the same smile
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
Update to my 2015 Sierra 1500, SLT with 6.2 max tow package.
we just finished a trip from our home base in Ottawa, to Niagra Falls then on to Lake Erie and finally along Lake Huron before heading home. The trip had a good mix of hills and flat country and without a doubt the truck was awesome in performance. The power of the truck is there each and every time I needed it and it ride as well as any pick up I have ever owned and operated. the numbers on this trip as as follows. metric and U.S.
2,909.0 KM with 22.4 litres per 100 KM
-----------OR--------------
1,298.7 miles with 10.5 miles per US gallon

the truck pulled a well loaded 31 Classic with two adults and two well behaved grand kids as well as all of essiential camp and beach stuff. Water tank was full, grey and black were MT. On the return trip I would estimate that we carried 200 pounds of beach sand in the truck and trailer!
I simply cannot say enough about the truck. The grade assist feature is NOT a jake brake but it does 'assist' on the down hill runs. The grade park assist is something that once you realise what it is and what it does, is a neat little aide in stop and go traffic. The extendable mirrors work well with the trailer as does the integrated brake controller with the hydraulic brakes. In short it does what it was designed to do and it does it very well.
I agree that the use of 91 octane is a bit of a hit at the pumps but I have never kept track of fuel costs on any tow vehicle. It just isnt a definer for me. Anyway, the cost goes away the first time you stick your toes into the carpet and burn off some 91 octane and feel the 6.2 perform!
All good so far. (truck has about 6,000 kn or 4,000 mile on it. All broke in now)
Thanks
Pete
Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Rockwood , Maine
Thank you DC for the ride update and white laker for the engine results, sounds like a great package.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
1500 6.2 instead of a Duramax

Need to chime in on this topic to see what other information folks have about the newer GM 1500 series with the 6.2 motor and Max towing package. Just drove one of these yesterday and have to say I was quite impressed. Many of you might scratch your heads about what I'm considering doing. That being, trading my 15' 2500 Duramax in for one of these rigs….
Without getting into some month long debate about how great the diesels are, let's just say the one I have doesn't suit me. Already quite tired of the miserable ride this rig has. Maybe in about 100 yrs GM will figure out how to adapt a coil spring suspension to the front of these trucks, versus continuing to build them with the high stiction torsion bars
So my question is, how much weight are you folks having to shift to the rear trailer axle with the WD bars? I know my 2012 25' FB is supposed to be quite tongue heavy and need to be sure the 1500 trucks will handle the duty…
Input/feedback would be greatly appreciated…
Pat

Tags