Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin

I rented a Dodge Durango from a local auto dealer (Milwaukee) to tow a 2007 Safari 20' from Connecticut to Wisconsin last November. The weight of the trailer was 4000 lbs empty, and the Durango came equipped with a towing package and prewired brakes. I purchased a hitch from the AS dealership in CT.

The trip back to Wisconsin was uneventful.

It took me several phone calls to find an outfit willing to rent a vehicle for this purpose.

None of the national rental companies would rent one out.

marta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
1986 34' Excella
west palm beach , Florida
Renting tow vehicle

I want to thank everyone who responded with helpful information and encouraging words regarding my posting. I am leaning towards renting a new, adequate truck that is already set-up with a suitable hitch and trailer brake control. The expense to set-up my truck( new tires, tune-up, trailer brake controller, new tires, towing mirrors, hula dancer for dashboard), could more profitibly put towards a rental. My current truck is perfectly adequate for the few miles it is driven daily ,to and from work,( if it blows up I can bail out near my own airfield). I can just see the expression on my wife's face as we,my truck old rusty, and the trailer are accelerating backwards down slope, smoke pouring from every orifice ,( the trucks also )...,an 18- wheel Freightliner filling the mirrors, nuthin good on the radio, whilst attempting to ascend the summit that broke the camel's back,... F-150, whatever..,this is something I pretty much would like to avoid. Poor thing has been put through hell by me and my crackpot ideas . No need to add any further suffering if it can be avoided. (note to self :" stay on subject") So , to make a tedious story abruptly end , will try to drop-off the trailer in n. Georgia in the next few weeks and stay in it when schedule permits.
Thanks again for all your help, Crazy Packrat

packrat561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Try Hertz. We have rented lots of heavy duty truck at work. Every now and then one will have a break controler already installed. ( not Prodigy) There are others that rent HD pickup to mainly industries. They are out there ready to rent.
"Humans get a lot done,not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." Flash Rosenburg

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Islay - 63 O.
1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
I wanted once to do so and never really find a rental compagny with truck to do it. But I checked the Uhaul site and you can rent a truck that can tow up to 10.000 so I think you could do it.

though I am not sure now, I looked at the website and don't find anymore the towing capacity...

but you may try with them.

Canadian Atlantic Unit Past President
Protect your dream from others and first yourself...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 AM   #19
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
American van rental / Atlanta, Ga

When I've gotten my A/S in North Carolina to France, renting a pick-up trailer to tow was terrible. All majors didn't want so i 've finally found ONLY one in Atlanta, Ga:

American van rental:

Rent a car at American Van Rental, Atlanta, GA. SUV rental, luxury auto rentals, limousine bus in Georgia.

If that can help you

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4x4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	58194  

My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote