Old 05-08-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Renting a tow trailer/truck?

Does anyone have a recommendation of a tow trailer or hauling truck to rent to put our AS up onto to tow? We purchased a trailer in Wisconsin, we live in California, and although the tow home might not be a big deal, I'm exploring options for just in case. I've looked at U-Haul website, and can't really find specific information on what to look for.

The trailer we want to tow is a 1967 24' Airstream Tradewind, no more than 3500 lbs. Our tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. Hitch on the truck is rated 6 or 8k. We're looking for either a truck to load the trailer on and drive it home, or a trailer bed type thing to put the trailer on and tow it home, or even a service to get it home for us. We're most likely going to just hitch up and go, but I'm looking at other options. We'd have to locate a trailer in Wisconsin probably.

I don't know where to look!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation One major issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Does anyone have a recommendation of a tow trailer or hauling truck to rent to put our AS up onto to tow? We purchased a trailer in Wisconsin, we live in California, and although the tow home might not be a big deal, I'm exploring options for just in case. I've looked at U-Haul website, and can't really find specific information on what to look for.

The trailer we want to tow is a 1967 24' Airstream Tradewind, no more than 3500 lbs. Our tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. Hitch on the truck is rated 6 or 8k. We're looking for either a truck to load the trailer on and drive it home, or a trailer bed type thing to put the trailer on and tow it home, or even a service to get it home for us. We're most likely going to just hitch up and go, but I'm looking at other options. We'd have to locate a trailer in Wisconsin probably.

I don't know where to look!
PF,
One major problem with hauling your trailer on a trailer bed is: The height of the vehicle you're using plus the height of your trailer..DOT limits that height to 13'..Since your trailer is slightly over 8' plus whatever the A/C, etc is puts you in "harms way"..(bridges, power lines, etc.)
Of course, you could hire someone (professional driver) who has one of the "special types" of trailer bed designed for what you have in mind..
YIKES~!~, I can only imagine what the cost would be for that distance you're talking about.
Around here in NE, to pay someone to tow your trailer, etc..is around 1$ per mile plus whatever expense they may require. (This was about 5 yrs ago when I last checked..Can't even imagine what it would be today~?)
If it were me...I'd check into renting a truck from U-HAUL (They're a great one for Nation-wide services) to drive one-way back to your home state and, fly out..(save time, etc..) I'd check also to make sure there's no problem with using the rental for towing..In this respect, use your own judgement as to what or how much you want to disclose to the rental agency. In any event...being up-front with the rental agency is the best policy, just in case you do have problems on the trip..(We hope not~!~!)
If you were to use U-HAUL, I couldn't imagine any problems with towing..You do see them on the road all the time towing one thing or another behind the truck.
Whatever you decide, have a great trip..take pictures and, tell us all about your trip's experience when you get back.~
Good Luck`!!
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Not a bad idea

I have ZERO useful info for you, but I'm curious to find out the answer to this one. It crossed my mind when we went to pick up the 64 Overlander in MI. Instead of trying to find someone to grease the bearings, It seemed an easier idea to toss it on a trailer.

I just risked it though, no problems towing home. What exactly are your concerns about the one you purchased????

Ron
Old 05-08-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
I would be careful with U-Haul. I rented a truck 3 yrs ago and 60 miles into the trip....FLAMES! FLAMES shooting out the back of the truck. it seems the brakes (or lack of ) had ground themselves into the rotors or drums. waited for 4 hours on the side of the road in the mountains of West Virginia, it was January, 18 deg with my wife and infant son. Took 6 calls to customer service to get a tow. 1 of the calls was to my bank to cancel the check I wrote to U-Haul for the rental. Was told by the mechanic that came out that according to his records the truck had 150k miles on it. Never had the brakes done and had not been inspected in quite some time. I would go with someone with quality trucks. Penske changes its fleet every 2 years. Do your homework. Rob
Old 05-08-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Rent an Excursion/Expedition.

My truck was being worked on, and I needed to move a trailer and went to enterprise- they have pick ups- some have bumper hitches, but also rent Navs, Expeditions and Excursions- all have a frame mounted receiver hitch. You can do a quick wiring for lights- either adapt the ones from your trailer to a Uhaul light mount for 4 pin.

The trailer will have a 2" hitch so buy a hitch ball on receiver mount and put it.

You get unltd miles, travel in comfort, and have a better vehicle- usually less than 5000 miles.

They have a bargman plug- but you'd need a controller that plugs in to the front- its pre wired. I think in dry weather with the vehicle weight, you'd be OK- just watch the hills-

Good luck. Cliff.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi there;
just give you what I know about renting a vehicle to tow an A/S;
It' was a problem for me to find a pick-up trailer to tow the A/S i've just bought in North Carolina to bring it at the Jacksonville, fla port to be shipping to FRANCE.
NO major renting companies ( hertz, Dollar, Budget, rent-a-car...)want to rent as they know it was for towing. I've really searched a long time on the web and finally I've found one:
AMERICAN VAN RENTAL, Forest park, GA 30297 (404) 363-0600.

I don't know if there is this company in you region but , may be you can call them, if you have not other solution.

I've rented a black pick-up FORD F350 dually for a week ( $499 );See the pictures on my gallery.
So check if the towing equipment is complete; About me, they have forgotten to mount the ball and the hitch-bar... And when you see that , the saturday night at the Atlanta airport, you're not really happy...

I hope that 'll help you;

Bruno;
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Team

, Minnesota
Having it hauled

Ingrid,
Here are a few ideas for having your trailer hauled home.
1. You can hire a trailer moving service. These are the people who normally deliver travel trailers from the manufacturer to the dealers. Look in the yellow pages.
2. Do a web search for freight carriers. They will give you a quote in a couple of hours. There is a huge network of brokers that connect drivers with loads. A lot of those guys you see hanging around truck truck stops are drivers (independent operators) waiting for a load.
3. You will need a better description of the trailer before you get a freight quote. Where in Wisconsin is it? It may be smaller than California, but its still a fairly big state. Don't tell me where it is, but you need to tell the broker exactly where it is. Is it closer to Minneapolis or Chicago. Exactly long, wide and tall is it? Does the seller have a loading dock? Can you or the seller take it to a nearby freight terminal? That would be cheaper than having it loaded at a residence. Do you plan to be there to inspect the trailer as it is loaded. Can you take delivery at a freight terminal, or do you want it delivered to a residence?
4. Contact the logistics person at your local fruit packer. They may know of a trucker who hauls fruit to Chicago every week and is looking for a backhaul.
5. Be ready to discuss any special requirements for securing the trailer. Do you want it covered with a tarp? How about protection from road debris? Insurance? Chains around the axle, bumper and coupler? While an independent trucker is responsible for securing his load, he may need to be 'sensitized' to do it without just throwing a lot of straps over it and cranking them down.

I know this is a lot of information you may not want to hear. There is a reason there are specialized brokers that handle moving travel trailer-they take all of the worry out out the process, provide the insurance, and charge you for it. That's fair, every business exists to provide a service. On the other hand, going with an independent requires that you be willing to take over more of the planning and details.

Good luck with your project. Everyone wishes you nothing but good fortune and a happy outcome.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Renting a tow trailer/truck?

Greetings Ingrid!

Quote:
While I haven't tried to flat-bed an Airstream/Argosy, I did have experience trying to rent a car-hauler trailer for my '75 Cadillac Eldorado, and in so doing learned several things that may apply to your situation. The first thing that I learned was that most of the consumer-rentable car-hauler type trailers had a maximum GVWR of either 4,000 or 5,000 pounds (likely not a problem given the empty weight of your Trade Wind) - - a problem with a '70s Cadillac Eldorado with a weight approaching 5,500 pounds. The second thing that I learned was that due to the dropped axle on most of the trailers, the load had to fit between the fenders - - something my '75 Cadillac couldn't do and something that would be a problem with an Airstream as well. The third thing that I learned was that the vast majority of the rental trailers had surge brakes which prohibited utilizing weight distribution bars, and most of the rental agreements prohibit the renter from attaching sway controls or similar devices to the hitch. The fourth issue that could pose a real problem for using such trailers to haul a trailer is the lack of a place to secure the jack post on the tongue - - most of the trailers that I saw while trying to find one for my heavy-duty car haul had wheel ramps and were open through the center.

I suspect that the only type of rental trailer that might be workable would be a heavy duty construction equipment trailer. Such trailers when available in the rental market, at least in this area, are available only on round-trip or local rentals, and often have an empty weight in excess of 4,000 pounds which might pose a problem with gross weight for your tow vehicle - - and again they usually are not equipped and likely do not permit the addition of weight distribution and/or sway control devices - - and most that I have seen around here lately are more likely to be 5th-wheel type hitches as well.

Since you have some lead-time, I would suggest working with the person from whom your are purchasing the trailer or with Forum listees in the area to find a competent RV mechanic to perform a running gear inspection. It would likely be more economical to have the running gear inspected and repaired so that the coach is towable with normal RV equipment. In both cases with my Airstream and Argosy, the owners were quite accommodating in any requests that I made for mechanical inspections - - in both cases the umbilical cable connectors needed to be changed to the modern standard to match my tow vehicle, new tires were needed on both coaches - - in both cases it was discovered that the axles were just barely passable (torsion arms near horizontal with very slight downward angle) as were shocks, buth the advice I received in both cases was to take it slow and easy on the tow home where I would be able to have the work perfomed by shops more convenient to my home. In both cases I stopped every 50 to 75 miles to check the tires/wheels for obvious heat buildup as well as to check for anything loose or peculiar. Despite having "Murphy" of Murphy's Law fame as a near constant traveling companion, both trips were nearly uneventful - - the one exception was the Minuet lost it brakes after crossing a particularly rough set of railroad tracks (later learned that the wire insulation had a chafed spot where it was coming into contact with the frame where it was pinched between the frame and bellypan - - the wire had probably been mis-routed at the factory from appearances according to my mechanic).

Good luck with your decision and plans!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

The only way I've towed using a car trailer- was a 38' trailer, and had to set the trailer on with a forklift backwards, and had to use framing of 2X8's to span the bottom to avoid belly pan damage
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hooooooo...kay.

That is a LOT of information. Thanks all. Looks like we'll just chance it on towing it home, which I think will be fine. I want to cover all my bases so I know our options, and it sounds like hauling home on another vehicle is prohibitive in the #1 area: Money.

But I will read all these posts more closely and carefully later tonight and I'll do some more research...but...our axles are OK, owner did write to me that the bar-thingys below are the proper angles and we'll just need to change tires and re-pack bearings.

I have to think about *something* while I"m waiting.

ingrid
Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #11
Site Team

, Minnesota
Ingrid,
You will be happy with your decision. Think of the adventure! What a great opportunity to become familiar with your new project.
It's like going to the pound to pick up a new puppy. Would you trust someone else to carry her home for you?

If you are coming thru Minneapolis and need to make emergency repairs, give me a shout. I can offer a place to park short term. I have a jack, grease, some other essentials.

If you're going the southern route, get the fone number for Ace Fogdall in Iowa.

BTW, rough cost to haul from Green Bay(?) to Scaramento(?) would be about $1700.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Ingrid,
You will be happy with your decision. Think of the adventure! What a great opportunity to become familiar with your new project.
It's like going to the pound to pick up a new puppy. Would you trust someone else to carry her home for you?
and think of the money we'll save!!

definitely not worth the cost. more than I paid for the trailer!!

Thank you. We're definitely towing it home behind our truck. I'll keep you on file for the trip home.

ingrid
Old 05-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Argosy 28 Contract Towing or getting a rental truck CO>CA?

I am pressed for time but need to move a 28' Argosy from Fort Collins/Livermore, Colorado to Morgan Hill (15 miles S of San Jose) over Memorial Weekend - Suggestions - Use Penske and UHaul (they say they won't let you tow your own trailer, now). Maybe regular Rental car Enterprise or Budjet if I get get one with a hitch?

Anyone want to freelance- I'd subcontract out for $1 a mile but the broker came back with $2285 whoa! Mapquest says 1218 miles -

here's the Argosy - hey in justifcation for my flawed thinking - it has rear beds- isn't that worth the hassle?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Yes - Cart before the horse on this one. I was seduced by the lime green formica - so Retro - so i hear disco? 8 track?
Bill
Old 05-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Bill, I believe one of the top auto rentals ,rent full size pickups. We had a family member rent a diesel crewcab Ford last year,and they pulled a horse trailer with horses to the Mojave Desert.The only thing you will need to do,is wire in a temporary brake controller. Check Enterprise at the San Jose Airport. Jeff