Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've had great luck with all of my GM tow vehicles. My current GMC Savana 3/4 ton passenger van has the best towing power of any that I have owned. My capacities are 9,900 lbs. with a 6.0 liter engine and 4.10 axle. Big advantage with the 3/4 ton size is the better transmission which will allow towing in O/D. Something I never did (nor was it recommened in the owners manuals), with the other GM vehicles.

Part of the reliability I attribute to changing the transmission fluid, having a transmission oil cooler, and staying out of O/D when towing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihut
Any GM vehicles with or with out a warranty will be serviced by any GM service, I had a 2000 Chevy Trailblazer that needed service when I was in Cheyenne and the Chevy dealer would not be able to get to it for over a week and I was leaving in 3 day . so I took it to a GMC dealer and they fixed it in 2 days.
I now pull with a 2500HD Silverado quad door
Not to argue, but back in the mid '80's I needed a radiator repair on my '79 Cutlas right after I moved to Atlanta. I took it to the only Olds dealer I knew of and they had lost my service reservation and couldn't get to it the day I had taken off from work. I took it to Hennessy Cadillac/Jaguar/Range Rover just down Piedmont Rd. from them to see if they could repair it.

I was politely told that Hennessy D/J/RR only worked on Cadillacs, Jaguars, and Range Rovers. But, the service writer was nice enough to call the next nearest Olds dealer to see if they could repair it for me. I was referred to Mitchell Motors on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. Imagine my surprise when I pulled into Mitchell Motors' service entrance and saw that Mitchell Motors was an Olds/Mitsubishi and ROLLS ROYCE dealer. To think the Cadillac dealer turned up his nose at my Cutlas, but the Rolls Royce dealer took it right in!

Of course, Mitchell Motors outsourced the repair to a radiator shop down the street, but being new to Atlanta, I had no idea which radiator shops were reputable and which were not.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND-AMBASSADOR
I tow with a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD (crew cab 4x4) with the 8.1L and Allison transmission. The transmission is spectacular - the only way to describe it. Towing is absolutely a pleasure. The engine is not as impressive – oil consumption and piston slap are concerns. Check out www.pistonslap.com before you buy. I’ll buy GM again but I hope that they soon get the piston slap resolved – this is my third slapper – “like a knock!”
As far as the "piston slap" I did hear it once on my 2004 2500 Suburban,
but I am happy to report that I have never heard the startup slap sound in the first 11,000 miles on our 2005 2500. IMHO I feel that Chevy has resolved the "problem" and I will buy Chevy again.

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #24

Yukon Denali Is Doing Well

Weve Used Our Denali To Pull Our 30ft Safari From Houston To The Grand Canyon. Weve Had The Airstream Since Christmas. And The Denali Is As Amazing As The Airstream. A Match Made In Heaven.
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Well, thank you all! I took the opportunity durring the GM employee pricing and bought a 2005 GMC Sierra Denali, It has the LQ9 H.O. 6.0L engine (also used in the Cadillacs- 345HP, 380Tq), All-Wheel Drive, 4.10 Gear ratio, Crew Cab, Short Bed.... I simply can't wait to tow with it!!! Here's a picture!

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
YUMMY!

That HO 6.0L has some guts....it'll really go if you kick hit hard.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Congrats on the NICE TRUCK!!!! I get a new 1/2 ton 4X4 Chev every 3 years, and they see a lot of towing and hard use. Not one has caused the slightest bit of grief. When I see some of the problems my Dodge and Ford driving friends have had (even though thier trucks don't get worked like mine), it makes me an even bigger believer in the quality of GM trucks. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
YUMMY!

That HO 6.0L has some guts....it'll really go if you kick hit hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter&Denise
Congrats on the NICE TRUCK!!!! I get a new 1/2 ton 4X4 Chev every 3 years, and they see a lot of towing and hard use. Not one has caused the slightest bit of grief. When I see some of the problems my Dodge and Ford driving friends have had (even though thier trucks don't get worked like mine), it makes me an even bigger believer in the quality of GM trucks. P.
Yes it does! I've tested it out a few times, im going to do a retune of the pcm to get more power and better mpg...and yes it is possible to do both (Wester's tune)

And it was time to upgrade to a real truck, and I found one I love... did my feeling around here and everyone gave me good advice and helped me get to the point that I was able to choose a vehicle! thanks all!

WBCCI # 13657
Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
That is one pretty truck ! Congratulations!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
That is one pretty truck ! Congratulations!
Thank you, just wish it had the Duramax and Allison like yours...

WBCCI # 13657
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Bigger isn't always beter. The 1500 is better suited to your Tradewind than a 3/4 ton vehicle. Check the links in in this fourm on hitches and towing. The 6.0 has all the power you need to tow your trailer.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote