Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Regular cab trucks may be doomed

Looks like regular cab truck production could be a thing of the past due to the way fuel economy standards are calculated.

Is the Regular Cab Pickup Doomed? - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, until then we'll be enjoying the easy maneuverability with and without the trailer. We need a truck, not a bus.

doug k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	183585  

Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Big Bruddah is a Muddah.

Thanks to all who impose their will on us, the unwashed.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
For the same reasons, it's an advantage to have longer beds. I don't see the reason the regulations would encourage bigger vehicles.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
From what I have "heard", pickup trucks under 8,000 pounds GVW may be doomed. That weight and above are exempt from the newer CAFE standards.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I like to recline my seat a bit since I'm tall - haven't owned a regular cab truck in years...err decades
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We LIKE R muddah ... cruises the AS for us ... just got home and enjoyed every minute.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
RC/shortbed is the ethnic choice down here. A toy, "cool", in their own words. Their wives drive "the family vehicle".

Too much weight and terrrible aero to only carry 2/3 pax . . and the shortbed is work-limited.

No advantages for the extra fuel burned over other vehicle types in some instances, not just other truck configurations.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1972 Argosy 22
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
I need the 8 foot box and I really don't want to snow plow with a crew cab or even an ext cab it makes plowing around curves and big problem and turning around a pain. I better take care of the one I have.
1947 liner #1032
1950 liner #1451
1965 Airstream Safari
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We (retired folks, kids grown) went from a four door pickup to a reg cab to get the shorter wheelbase, for our everyday driving needs when on very long retirement trips, and to easily maneuver the Airstream.

At first I was apprehensive about it, thought we might miss the back seat. But have never given it another thought, I love driving and towing with this truck. When we are at home it is only a utility vehicle and again I appreciate the short turning radius.

We were looking at diesel SUV's when we found this truck for about $25,000 less. We still may go that way to tow the Airstream and replace the family car some day. But will prefer the reg cab truck for utility.

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I see very few newer regular cabs on the road, so they are disappearing as consumer tastes change, just like stick shifts (the stick has been doomed by the cell phone—hard to shift and talk). Our Tundra double cab has lots of useful room in the back seat plus a 6.5' box—not quite as long as I'd like, but an 8' box makes for a very long truck—hard to park and maneuver. The Crew Cabs I see have the 4.5' box, too short for many things I carry. I've never seen one with a long bed. So we like the combination we have.

Improved fuel economy is a necessity and can be done right, but it takes some innovative thinking. The 8,000 lb. limit is to make sure commercial trucks that need lots of power to do the work will be available and still be able to burn a lot of fuel.

But tow vehicles also need power and need not weigh so much. It seems to me only electric motors charged by a smaller gas (or some other fuel) engine would have the power necessary and not be too heavy (you save weight on transmissions and 4 wheel drive systems). But I haven't seen anything showing that a hybrid plug in truck is in the works anywhere. Instead, Ford and GM are collaborating on a 10 speed light truck automatic to save fuel—they say it will save more than 15% over a 6 speed. That's good, but doesn't come close to meeting the limits.

Look for electric steering to show up—saves weight and energy and will provide zero road feel. That's one I want to avoid. They may go back to single wall boxes to save weight. I expect bumpers will get thinner or nonexistent—they've been going that way anyway. The lead acid battery is too heavy and may be replaced by something lighter (maybe a crank—saves on starter and battery!). But an electric truck will need lots of batteries and we're still waiting for the magic battery. A small engine to charge a hybrid will only need a smaller, lighter starter though. They should look into improving the cooling system efficiency to reduce the radiator size and weight.

The manufacturers need to be made to change and experiment and innovate by gov't regulation—they won't do it on their own. They never have. Competition does not work if everyone just keeps making the same trucks because they can. They fought regulations in the 70's, weren't prepared, came up with bad solutions, but finally after 10 more years, got it right. This time they agreed to the proposed regs and have enough time to figure it out. They'll be more and better turbos and superchargers too. This change isn't going to be easy, but it has to be done.

The steel on a vehicle is so thin now, we might as well skip aluminum and titanium and go straight to balsa wood bodies—the ultimate woodie.

Gene
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Trucks have become too soft; not sure what market has driven that. They still have some stripped down models they call work trucks, but they're still pretty thin-skinned.

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Back when I was considering a 1/2 ton tow vehicle, I was talking with the truck "expert" at the Ford dealer here, (THE salesman that had been to school on how to sell trucks) and quizzing him about GRAWR and towing capacity. After a while he looked at me with a confused look on his face, and said, "You know most of the people that buy these trucks use them as cars, don't you?"

He was not in any way accustomed to someone asking what the F150 was actually capable of.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Weight gets folks off track when it comes to choosing a TV for this trailer type. If all trailers had the same kind of wind-handling, low COG and independent suspension of an A/S we'd see different numbers. TV payload, remember is across two axle sets, not one.

Hybrid trucks are the obvious future. For commercial vehicles (high capital cost). Some exciting work being done in Class 8.

Pickup trucks however, can be improved with aerodynamic changes and changes in final drive gearing (not just best truck spec for FE).

Here's a recent thread from ECOMODDER: Help New Guy with 1/2T FE

the images are where I would draw your attention.

Any truck of any configuration can benefit with what is already understood about aero resistance (and this linked thread is not at all exhaustive). Some changes can be done subtly, some (such as the Aerolid shown on the Ford) are worth 20% over your current baseline MPG.

A regular cab pickup is sort of like a convertible . . on it's way out.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote