Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #57
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Well, don't know what happened with the formatting there-mods?
That was cut/paste from dodge.com

Bill

Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Well, don't know what happened with the formatting there-mods?
That was cut/paste from dodge.com

Bill
Mine did the same thing, I had to manually edit it, but even then it wasn't happy!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
There are obvious limitations to a 1/2 ton vehicle.
But please note that in the original post, Bill tows a 25' A/S. I don't recall Bill limiting the conversation to something over 30'. In fact, the A/S I towed to Missouri was a 29 footer.
Are you now saying that someone needs a 1 ton diesel for a 31 or 34?
Dave
Nope. I actually was made an offer I couldn't refuse by my local Ford dealer. We were looking for a 3/4 ton truck...not neccessarily a diesel.

This truck was a dealer Demo with about 1500 miles on it and I walked out the door with it for $38k. Fully loaded with the tow command package (this feature rocks) and leather everything, etc.

I'm definitely not saying a person towing a 25' needs anything larger than a 1/2 ton. I guess if you're shopping for a new TV...why limit yourself? If a person plans to NEVER go longer than 25' that's fine.

My experience in towing a 31' with a 1/2 ton truck was that I had plenty of Horsepower to pull it...but the vehicle didn't have the stopping power needed. On a wet road things could be pretty interesting

Stay safe and thanks for a great thread.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Altamont - I'm told the reason diesel gets more expensive in the fall & winter months is that diesel, with very few if any refining modifications, is used as home heating fuel in all the northern states. If that is true, then market forces are responsible for the stiff price increase.

I have an F-250 diesel as my daily driver and TV, and I am definately NOT an "Airstream Millionaire", anything but. But I also have towed many large very heavy trailers (horses, farm animals, boats, etc.) for many years and all that experience led me to my F-250 diesel. I like being in control of my vehicle & trailer, as much as humanly possible. I like not being an obsticle (sp?) on those long steep mountain grades. I like the beefed up braking system. I'm not saying everyone MUST go for the 3/4 ton diesel. I am saying that if you can go that route, your towing experience will be much improved. Especially if you put on a HA-HA!! (Sorry - I just had to throw that in)
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
As an Oklahoman, it deeply pains my soul to agree with anyone by the name of BillTex.

As far as I know, the only thing on earth, about any two subject that BillTex and I agree could every agree on, is that a 3/4 ton diesel TV is the only way to go.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
As you can see, lots of overlap (depending on priorities) Yes-it can be done!

Bill
I agree. It is possible to pay the same or even less for a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton. It all depends on how it is equipped and this is determined by how you prioritize your needs. Your Dodge info is outdated though. the 5.9 has not been available to order for more than a year and the price for the diesel shot up drastrically with the introduction of the 6.7 and the mandatory $995 Blue-Tec emmisions system tied to it.

I realize that your original post was not intended to pit 3/4's againsts 1/2's or diesel againsts gas, but rather to keep us informed about your experience with your 3/4 ton truck. I look forward to your observations.

With two exceptions the question about which is better to tow with is pretty cut and dried. 3/4 tons are better suited to towing than 1/2 tons except when they're not and diesels make more sense than gas except when they don't. If cornered, I may flip flop on both accounts.

Roger
Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #63
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
I agree. It is possible to pay the same or even less for a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton. It all depends on how it is equipped and this is determined by how you prioritize your needs. Your Dodge info is outdated though. the 5.9 has not been available to order for more than a year and the price for the diesel shot up drastrically with the introduction of the 6.7 and the mandatory $995 Blue-Tec emmisions system tied to it.
Roger, got that off dodge.com last night...must still be available for sale?

Keith...very funny! I am a New Englander though...other than business trips, I don't get to Texas much. But I must admit, I like Texas, and Texans-have some good friends there, and always appreciated the mindset of the United State of Texas!
Sorry Okie...

Bill
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #64
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
3/4 tons are better suited to towing than 1/2 tons except when they're not and diesels make more sense than gas except when they don't.
This, I will agree with whole-heartedly.

but I gotta throw in, in your earlier example, comparing a 1/2-ton Hemi to a 3/4 ton hemi is deceptive. the Hemi is an upgrade on the half-ton, while it is "included" as the base engine for the 3/4. So sure, you can buy a half ton, and then buy the individual componenents of a 3/4 ton in piecemeal fashion, and they're going to wind up being close in price.

You can add all sorts of things to a 1/2 ton, but no matter what, its still "a half ton". But you can only take so much away from a 3/4 ton. So the only fair comparison, to see only that which defines the difference, is to look at them totally stripped.
2008 Ram 1/2 ton: 22k
2008 Ram 3/4 ton: 27k.

Interesting that its hardly any different than it was in 1999, when I bought my truck, (and on what I based my earlier statments that "it cost 5K for 3/4 ton" .).
But however you want to slice it, the things that make it able to tow/carry more cost a significant amount of money.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #65
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
You can add all sorts of things to a 1/2 ton, but no matter what, its still "a half ton". But you can only take so much away from a 3/4 ton. So the only fair comparison, to see only that which defines the difference, is to look at them totally stripped.

Interesting that its hardly any different than it was in 1999, when I bought my truck, (and on what I based my earlier statments that "it cost 5K for 3/4 ton" .).
But however you want to slice it, the things that make it able to tow/carry more cost a significant amount of money.
Chuck, you did not buy a stripped truck...that is one of my points. For what you spent (4x4, QC, etc) you COULD HAVE got into a 3/4 ton. I have not seen many folks driving stripped TV's towing AirStreams.
We all have different priorities...

Knowing what I know now, I would take a hit on bling, if I had to, to tow with a 3/4 ton. It is that much better (IMO).

Bill
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Toyota tow vehicle

I'm new, haven't even picked up my AS 27 yet (next Saturday) and have a Toyota Tundra Crew Max. I'll see how it goes! However, talking with the Toyota service chief last week I asked him about the diesel Tundra for 2009. He said interestingly that he thinks Toyota is going to do a hybrid diesel next year; a powerful diesel and a big generator. I'm interested in seeing how it performs compared to the current 3/4 ton trucks.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #67
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick&claire
I'm new, haven't even picked up my AS 27 yet (next Saturday) and have a Toyota Tundra Crew Max. I'll see how it goes! However, talking with the Toyota service chief last week I asked him about the diesel Tundra for 2009. He said interestingly that he thinks Toyota is going to do a hybrid diesel next year; a powerful diesel and a big generator. I'm interested in seeing how it performs compared to the current 3/4 ton trucks.
Hi Dick, I have been following your quest for information on AS's and TV's. You are asking all the right questions.
As you already own the 1/2 ton, I don't blame you for trying it. But be aware, you will be very close to max when travelling.

I believe diesel hybrids to be the best of both worlds and probably what will be the wave of the future. That would be very cool with a genset also...

Good luck, and post pics when you get your AS. We love that 27 FB!

Bill
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #68
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Well...no, I couldn't have. the only "bling" I got on my truck is the SLT package, and the automatic.
quad cab is *required* I need it. not "nice to have"...not "incidental", as the phrase "bling" implies.
same w/ 4x4. I have to have it to plow my driveway...or just get up the steep hill to my house. These options equate to about 8g's.
the automatic...well...if you've ever driven a dodge (or any other "truck") with a manual, you wouldn't think that's incidental, either. But slt/auto is only about 3k. doesn't cover the additional 5 it would take to get into a bare-bones, stripped out, regular-cab truck that can't carry my whole family, so I can go uphill a little faster on the 10 or 15 days a year that I tow a trailer.

I do agree with you, though, that it is about priorities. If my situation mirrored yours, I would probably make the same choice. But nobody is going to get "more power" for free.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
This, I will agree with whole-heartedly.

but I gotta throw in, in your earlier example, comparing a 1/2-ton Hemi to a 3/4 ton hemi is deceptive. the Hemi is an upgrade on the half-ton, while it is "included" as the base engine for the 3/4. So sure, you can buy a half ton, and then buy the individual componenents of a 3/4 ton in piecemeal fashion, and they're going to wind up being close in price.

Chuck, In my comparison between the 1/2 and 3/4 trucks I went solely with the 26G SLT pkg on both with no other options added. Therefore the only difference would be the heavy duty components on the 3/4. How is this misleading? The HD 3/4 components define the difference. The point (or at least a point) is that beyond a certain point with the 1/2 it does not take a lot to move into the 3/4.

Comparing stripped models is the misleading comparison as the trucks are nothing alike. Yes, it shows the huge price difference of which you speak but in my opinion one truck would likely not be able to tow the trailer in the first place.

Roger
Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #70
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Chuck, In my comparison between the 1/2 and 3/4 trucks I went solely with the 26G SLT pkg on both with no other options added.
yeah, you added a hemi to the 1/2 ton. thats 1000 bucks. and I don't know why, but the slt package is 2k on a 3/4 ton, but 4k on a 1/2 ton.

Quote:
Therefore the only difference would be the heavy duty components on the 3/4. How is this misleading?
It wouldn't be, if that's what you were doing...but its not. you're comparing a souped up 1/2 ton to a not so souped up 3/4 ton.
Quote:
The HD 3/4 components define the difference.
yes, and the only way to see those...and ONLY those, is to take everything else away. In those "packages" is where stuff gets blurred, and the overlap occurs.
Quote:
The point (or at least a point) is that beyond a certain point with the 1/2 it does not take a lot to move into the 3/4.
well sure, but thats not what was said. What bill said was that there was no real cost. I say "phooey" to that. if he said "there is no real cost over a souped up half ton, which is what I'm assuming you all bought anyway"...then sure. I could go along with that.

Quote:
Comparing stripped models is the misleading comparison as the trucks are nothing alike.
I think they are exactly alike, except for the features than enable one to carry WAY more than the other. and thats the argument: the price of that capacity.
Quote:
Yes, it shows the huge price difference of which you speak but in my opinion one truck would likely not be able to tow the trailer in the first place.

Roger
I think the strippy 1/2 ton would only need an automatic to be "in the game". but what trailer? If we're talking about mine, thats all it would need. they don't make 'em like mine anymore, but it has the "base" 8/auto. The new 4.7 I think is actually more powerfull than my old 318. anyway, with the auto, the tow ratings would still be in the low 7's. much of my other "bling" actually lowers the rating. (its just more weight).