Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
Reese WD Hitch Question

I'm driving to CA to pick up a new 28' Flying Cloud this week and will be getting a new Reese WD Hitch (and possibly brake controller) at the same time. My question has to do with what I've been reading about "ASs liking soft rides". I've got a 2002 RAM 2500 which is pretty stiff so does that mean I should consider undersized trunnion bars?

Also, my truck has an older brake controller in it, are today's versions better (suggesting I should swap to something new to gain anything?)

Thanks
__________________

__________________
usa448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
I have a 3/4 ton Suburban and started with the 1200lb bars. Went down to 800lb bars and was a significant improvement. I have a 25er, so my hitch weight is slightly less than yours, and I went down to 600lb bars which were even a greater improvement than the 800lb bars.

I would suggest a max bar rating of 800lbs and you too might also still get some good benefit from the 600s as well over the 800s. I would also suggest the dual cam for that unit. I love mine. Also the Prodigy is a great brake controller.

One other thought is that if you buy the 800s new, you can typically pick up a set of used bars off eBay fairly inexpensively to try the less firm bars. The trick is finding them when they are out there.
__________________

__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa448 View Post
I'm driving to CA to pick up a new 28' Flying Cloud this week and will be getting a new Reese WD Hitch (and possibly brake controller) at the same time. My question has to do with what I've been reading about "ASs liking soft rides". I've got a 2002 RAM 2500 which is pretty stiff so does that mean I should consider undersized trunnion bars?

Also, my truck has an older brake controller in it, are today's versions better (suggesting I should swap to something new to gain anything?)

Thanks
I would suggest a Reese dual cam 600 hitch, no more, since you have a Queen Mary tow vehicle.

Please report back your experiences.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
All I've read suggest that when you use a 3/4 ton tow vehicle you should downsize your WD bars when using the Reese Hitch. But I have an Equal-i-zer so I'm definitely no expert on the Reese Hitch.
__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
Thanks for the advice. I am going to go with the Reese Dual Cam.

Any downside to using the 600lb bars?
__________________
usa448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa448 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am going to go with the Reese Dual Cam.

Any downside to using the 600lb bars?
None.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Silver Mist
 
LI Pets's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,008
Images: 28
Agree, also Rvwholesales has the brake control for $90
__________________
Bob
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
mustang's Avatar
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 803
I dropped to light bars also when I changed from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton tow vehicle. I did it because the heavier trucks suspension rides better with a load. I found out by accident the rest. My own trial and error. It just so happened I had a couple of sets of bars. Years ago with my family ect. I worried about breaking a bar (1/2 ton truck days) I bought used stuff at the WBCCI garage sale at the international rallies, for spares. ( I rolled at night while kids where sleeping) It almost is crazy when this unit I have only drops the rear 1/2 inch to maybe 1 inch but I have been in to many steering wheel slide situations (snowplow) In a semi because of bad loads.
So I use them ( light torsion bars)
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I dropped to light bars also when I changed from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton tow vehicle. I did it because the heavier trucks suspension rides better with a load. I found out by accident the rest. My own trial and error. It just so happened I had a couple of sets of bars. Years ago with my family ect. I worried about breaking a bar (1/2 ton truck days) I bought used stuff at the WBCCI garage sale at the international rallies, for spares. ( I rolled at night while kids where sleeping) It almost is crazy when this unit I have only drops the rear 1/2 inch to maybe 1 inch but I have been in to many steering wheel slide situations (snowplow) In a semi because of bad loads.
So I use them ( light torsion bars)
A light film of grease, on the dual cams, will stop the creaking.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Refurbished 89 Excella
 
DKDarrow's Avatar
 
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 241
Does this same principle apply to Draw Tight hitches???...........thanks......Dennis
__________________
Dennis & Susan
D&D Farms, Sugar Valley, Ga
Registered Boer goats
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
mustang's Avatar
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 803
Thanks Andy. I kinda have grown attached to the creek.
__________________

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adjusting my Reese Hitch wagnerda Hitches, Couplers & Balls 11 10-28-2007 10:53 AM
Reese Hitch issue Tin Hut Hitches, Couplers & Balls 1 01-10-2006 05:07 PM
Reese Hitch Problems jfowler218 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 17 12-22-2005 02:53 PM
Reese hitch dlorahcof Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 09-13-2003 05:11 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.