Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
towing vehicle

Hi guys

I am really itching to buy a 23 ft Flying cloud.
but my tow vehicle is a 2008 toyota fj cruiser...with towing capacity of 5000lbs

am i crazy to try pulling a 23 ft?
bjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Whats the tow/hitch weight ratings on your truck, and what are the weight and tongue weight rating of the trailer? simple as that. mostly.

in my dim view of it, as long as the numbers for the trailer are smaller then the numbers for the truck.. it's what you are comfortable with. (BTW, the GVWR of a 23' FC is 6000lbs, to heavy for the FJ)

Now, does that mean I won't pass just such a rig on the way to dinner tonight? Not really. Someone out there is probably doing it. I wouldn't. A 19', maybe. With proper hitch, and not towing at 75mph.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Dakotas dad

im pretty depressed now haha

is that a ford expedition you are towing tha big 31 with? it looks like a explorer in the pic..guess its just too small to see

i was thinking I might could add a supercharger to my FJ and be ok..
Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD Intercooled Supercharger Package - Product Spotlight - Truck Trend

in this video its a small SUV with great power...
Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy?

so i guess i am hoping to do that.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenkins View Post
Thanks Dakotas dad

is that a ford expedition you are towing tha big 31 with? it looks like a explorer in the pic..guess its just too small to see

Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD Intercooled Supercharger Package - Product Spotlight - Truck Trend

Hi, I don't believe that a supercharger will change your tow rating.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #25
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks Dakotas dad

Yes, that's the Expedition. (if you click on the pic it will expand) It's a vintage 31 footer, which means it's lighter then a new AS of the same length. It's GVWR is within a few pounds of a new AS's empty weight at that length.

Towing is not just about horsepower and torque. If it was, then a Shelby KR 500 would be my TV..

Your frame and suspension is what the engineers use to determine the tow rating of the vehicle.

Your video link with the Porsche TV is (I think) a 19' Flying Cloud AS. It's GVWR is 4500lbs, And they state it's empty. So pretty low tow weight, undoubtedly within the specs for that TV, and in fact within the specs for your FJ. The supercharger package from TRD has it's peak horsepower and torque up at almost 4k rpm..Not much use for towing.

The steepest grades we have pulled were coming across the Missouri Breaks and thru the Hoosier National forest, not the rockies or sierras by any means, but short and steep, with many 18 wheelers down into the 35-40mph range, we were able to hold steady at our cruise setting, (62mph, or 100kph for our Canadian readers) the tranny shifted down to 3rd, and we topped at about 2400 rpm. We will probably do Monteagle in the spring, and that's one of the hardest pulls around our neck of the woods, so we will see how it does down there.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I've heard that said before and I wonder what percentage of the money actually goes to support US labor and how much goes back to the fatherland in the form of profits every year?
Really, not all that much. On even the "richest" profit vehicles, like full-sized SUVs, car companies are doing well to make 10% profit on a vehicle.

I think it's often forgotten that, for the typical foreign-badged vehicle built here, the majority of their components are built in supplier factories here as well. (A Tundra has 80% US/Canada content.) Plus you're supporting the folks who work at your local dealership, regardless of the name on the sign out front.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
im pretty sure that trailer is bigger than 19'

no 19' has 4 wheels right?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
bunker hill , Indiana
I pull mine with a 2001 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I get more compliments on this truck the older it gets. I think its a terrific vehicle, and I made the transmission that goes into it. With my paycheck I bet that I have helped support your profession at one time. So yes its American made, yes I am an American.
thatscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
im pretty sure that trailer is bigger than 19'

no 19' has 4 wheels right?
Don't know about axles, I just guessed based on the length of a porsche cayenne being 15' 6", and in the shot where they are talking about the TV, you can see that the AS is only a little longer then the TV. Either way, if its much longer, it weighs more then your FJ is rated for.

edit, after purusing a couple web sites, it could in fact be a 23' FC... to heavy.

2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The FJ has the power to pull a good sized Airstream. Stability is the issue. Some modifications to the FJ (ie a firmer tire) or a quality hitch like this Trailer Sway Elimination Guaranteed - Hensley® the ONLY trailer hitch guaranteed to totally eliminate trailer sway. will likely keep it in line.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I've heard that said before and I wonder what percentage of the money actually goes to support US labor and how much goes back to the fatherland in the form of profits every year?
In the last two years the answer is zero. Toyota has been losing money, as have the U.S auto makers, for at least the last two years. So I guess that means that the "fatherland" has been sending money here to support U.S. labor. As a shareholder in Toyota, as well as a blond haired blue eyed American, I can assure you that Toyota is an international company, with international shareholders and a purely international business. Much like Ford, GE, GM, etc. Xenophobia has no place in a modern economy. American labor loves to build quality products whenever their managers allow them. Where the company is headquartered really doesn't matter, does it?
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
ahhhh, thanks road ruler....I am such an optimist that I am inclined to have hope. I will do some research in that Henley Arrow. SOunds like a good thing to have no matter what size trailer.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
OMG!! haha look at all the little cars towing these huge trailers

Trailer Sway Elimination Guaranteed - Hensley® the ONLY trailer hitch guaranteed to totally eliminate trailer sway.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #34
mok
MOK

North Providence , Rhode Island
We have been towing our 23' International with a 2005 Jeep
Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi and a Reese hitch system. We just started using McKesh mirrors and have found them to make travelling infinitely safer.
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Well, my AS 23 FB Flying Cloud came in. I love it. It's all shiny and new. I have a Chevy Avalanche with a V8 engine and a tow package. The max wt of that trailer is 6000. The unloaded vehicle weight of the trailer is 4757. I am heading out west and up north next spring. Do you all think I need to get the upgraded tranny cooler for the Avalanche. With my engine, research shows the maximum that I should tow is 8300. The vehicle lists 7000. I have the Blue Ox 1000 lb sway/weight distribution system.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I guess I should say, I do not own it yet. Looking to purchase it in the next 10 days. I have cancer and I don't know if I'll be able to make my trip next year. I don't know if it would be a worthwhile purchase because I don't know how long I will be able to use it.

If I purchase, I did decide on the 23' FB Flying Cloud instead of it 25' version.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have dealt with cancer as well this past year. Doing okay now, but makes you think about life in simpler terms. We bought a 20' ft Safari as a replacement for our beloved VW camper because we wanted to spend more time traveling, but keeping our equipment relatively small and easy to handle. Camper vans are tight on space, but exceedingly easy to use, even for those with limited abilities. Travel trailers require some physical strength to hitch/unhitch and set up. Have you looked at these campers. There are many brand new two year old models available at big discounts: Airstream, Inc :: Interstate
If you are alone, it may work well for you. However, the downside of these is if you want to leave the campsite, the whole thing must go.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Waterloo , Ontario
we pull our 23' Safari with a V8 Ford Explorer & our parents pull a huge 34' with the same vehicle (they have a Hensley, we don't)
Old 09-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I have the strength to hook and unhook. I generally can tow for 4 hours and set up. After that, I am down for the count. I plan to take a slow trip to Alaska and back. Now, do you find the 23 adequate as far as space is concerned.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #40
mok
MOK

North Providence , Rhode Island
My wife and I just spent 3 weeks on the road with our 23 International and found8 it more than adequate, and quite easy to maneuver. I note, however, that I am only 5'8" tall - if I were taller, the bed might be a problem.
mok is offline   Reply With Quote