Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We pull a 19-foot, 2005 Bambi with a 2008 Tundra CM, 5.7L. You DO NOT need an equalizer hitch. We have towed in the mountains and on the flats approximately 10,000 miles, including in a 60 mph crosswind. Other than slowing down to 45 mph in the crosswind, we have had absolutely no problems towing at all (other than a Marathon blowout on the trailer).
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

Yes, you DO need an equilizer hitch..... you just don't know it yet !

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

Do you're homework. There is lot's of worthy reading here about the preferences and sometimes touchy subject of different hitch systems. I personally think they are all pretty good and is up to you to determine what you like and can afford best for your application.

I know it looks daunting, and I honestly still don't really understand the physics behind it, but once the hitch is setup properly by someone who cares and knows what they are doing, you will find it is a breeze to connect.

I am running a Dual Cam system on our 19' and wouldn't consider going to the corner store without setting the bars.

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
You DO need an equalizer hitch!!! Just wait till you have to make a sudden swerve at high speed asnd see your trailer take over your tundra! Or a big truck passing + gust of wind pushes you off the lip of the road!

We do nothing but boondock in the Rockies. Pu;ll;ing a 23' with a one ton. Most hitches take very little time to set up. Go to a good hitch outfit like Wedco and 1st Street Welding in Idaho Falls. See what they say.

To put it very bluntly - Please don't be stupid!

DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
waynesboro , Virginia
You may find that towing without a hitch with weight distribution and sway control
is adequate; with the vehicle and trailer combination you have described you will be in control most of the time...the proper hitch and set up will provide an added level of safety and in my opinion allow for travel with far less stress as you zip around the
country with an extra 2 tons of weight behind your vehicle... any of the major brands will do....
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
"most of the time"

"...towing without a hitch with weight distribution and sway control is adequate with the vehicle and trailer combination you have described, you will be in control MOST of the time.

I don't know about anyone else, but being in control of my vehicle on the highway "most" of the time is not what I strive to achieve. This condition is not sufficient for me.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote