Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Rear Differential Problem?? Help!

Greetings All,

We just pulled off the road in Deming, NM, and as we turned the trailer around in a parking lot, the right tire made a funny noise and started "scrubbing" very hard.

I made a couple of more turns with the same result. As it is Sunday, we decided we better hole up for the night and it just so happened we were in a Wal-Mart parking lot! I drove clear across the lot to the spot where people were parked, and by the time I got there, NO NOISE NO SCRUBBING?? So, we decided we would still wait until morning to go to a garage and have it checked, but we drove 10 miles out to the State Park for the night. Same thing, no problem, no noise.

Any mechanics out there, or if you have had a similar problem who might advise what could be going on?? I was in 4 wheel drive for awhile yesterday in the snow. We were not towing at that time.

Thanks!

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Were you in 4 wheel drive when you heard the noise, if so that is a normal sound when making a turn at slow speeds
wilkeytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
No we had been out of 4WD since yesterday and had put on about 300 miles since then. Also it is the rear wheel that is making the noise, so not a turning wheel. Basically from what I could tell, that wheel was not turning at the right speed (what a differential does), but now it is fine?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Without knowing what your tow vehicle is, or which direction you were turning when you heard the scrubbing sound, I'll guess it may be a right rear wheel bearing. The tire/hub/axle shaft assembly could have walked out of the axle tube an inch or two, and allowed the outside edge of the tire to rub the inside of the fender well.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Terry, but the axle, tire, etc. all look fine. It wasn't rubbing, but scrubbing, or chirping along the pavement almost like the tire was somewhat flat (which is what I thought at first), but it isn't, or like I said that the tire is turning at the wrong speed compared to the left side. I don't know how else to describe it, but you could actually feel the right hand tire grabbing the pavement. I'm glad it's gone but I don't trust it!

BTW...2001 Chevy 2500HD 4WD!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Maybe the tire "hopping" is a better description!?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Do you have a locking rear differential that was locked and now is not?
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Funny you should say that! I was JUST thinking the same thing. Perhaps it got "locked" when I was in 4WD and didn't come out. Because I didn't make any sharp turns until I was hooked up and towing, I didn't feel anything?

Would this be likely to have caused any damage?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Beats me ... mine locks up automatically and unlocks the same way, and so far as I'm aware, is not dependent upon being in 4wd ... it just locks when one rear wheel starts to spin at a rate sufficiently higher than the other for the mechanicals to engage.

First time I did it, I was at a stoplight and when it turned green, I got overeager on the throttle on damp pavement, towing the A/S ... started to get some wheelspin, and bam! it locked in RIGHT NOW and the spin stopped in a small fraction of a second. Then it apparently unlocked, 'cause I couldn't feel anything more. There are positive air lockers also that you manually lock and unlock with a valve setting, but mine isn't like that ...

But I've never (known to me, anyway), had it continue in locked mode more than a few dozen feet ... I'd think it'd cause uneven tire wear, scrubbing and scuffing, etc. pretty quickly, esp. if turning. Bigger question, it seems to me, is whether this is what it was, and why it did this, so you know how to keep it from doing it again.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
But I've never (known to me, anyway), had it continue in locked mode more than a few dozen feet ... I'd think it'd cause uneven tire wear, scrubbing and scuffing, etc. pretty quickly, esp. if turning. Bigger question, it seems to me, is whether this is what it was, and why it did this, so you know how to keep it from doing it again.
It may not have been locked until right then, because I did not feel anything unusual before that, and like I said we drove about 300 miles, then picked up thee trailer and drove another 180 miles before this. Once I straightened out in the parking lot, then it apparently unlocked. But you are right, those are indeed the questions!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
From what you describe the differential was locked up as if in 4 wheel drive.

If you have full time 4WD on some models you are supposed to back-up for 8 to 10 ft after disengage 4WD.

Do you have manual locking hubs on the front axle?

You can do serious damage driving in 4WD on hard pavement something has to give either the tires scrub of gears break.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Flying',

There are different differentials—standard, positraction and locking plus many varieties of 4WD. You can call the service dept of a Chevy dealer and give them your VIN and they should be able to look up precisely what you own. It could be axle or bearing problems as well. When I've had a locking rear differential, it could only be engaged with a switch—could you have accidently hit the switch?

These things rarely are self healing. Better check it out soon. Continuing to drive on a problem only gets worse until you run up a really big bill. I know from experience.

Hopefully it's just a normal thing when something hangs up briefly.

I assume it's the rear wheel, so locking front hubs shouldn't matter.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
It is not full-time, there is a switch on the dash 2WH-4WH-4WL..the rear diff is a automatic locking, no switch. Self-locking hubs.

As usual, thanks for all the advice! I think I will still take her in tomorrow! As my wife always reminds me...better safe than sorry!

Of course when I take it in, it won't do anything wrong which will then result in a diagnostic charge for nothing and blowing up completely 200 miles later!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
I also lean with the possible locking differential and having enough slippage to cause the lock to engage. Your Chevy year had the option of a locking Eaton diff., but I would err on the side of verifying that!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello FLYNCLD,

Not sure why it has to be a differential problem at all? Is the truck equipped with disc brakes in the rear? We recently had a car come into the shop that picked up a piece of gravel in the rear pads. It made a scuffing noise when the brakes were either depressed or not. We put the car in the air and found the noise right away.. removed the gravel chunk and problem solved. Maybe it fell out and all is well? it would be good for someone to just check it out tomorrow and you can give us the update as to what they found..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
In reading a bit closer to what your describing by the tire grabbing as your turning.. you might have posi traction clutches grabbing when they get hot from all the usage in the towing conditions your under. There is a special additive for this so when the clutches get hot they dont grab and cause the axles to be somewhat locked when turning.. sorry.. now I dont think its something in the brakes.. but it could still be intermittent as the temp has dropped in the axle.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
It is not full-time, there is a switch on the dash 2WH-4WH-4WL..the rear diff is a automatic locking, no switch. Self-locking hubs.

As usual, thanks for all the advice! I think I will still take her in tomorrow! As my wife always reminds me...better safe than sorry!

Of course when I take it in, it won't do anything wrong which will then result in a diagnostic charge for nothing and blowing up completely 200 miles later!
In that case I am just going to have to tow your 62 flying cloud for you..... back to my house!
Sounds like the rear may not have released if it was lockable. They do need to be exercised regularly. Every tank of fuel I cycle my truck into and out of 4 wheel high. Once in a while I check 4 lo.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Good advice Michelle! Sorry...NO Flying Cloud for you!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Your truck should have the full synthetic gear lube in the differentials, and shouldn't need the limited slip additive.
My common sense says that somewhere over the 300 miles of your trip, the transfer case and front hubs should have unlocked. Probably a pass through a local mechanic's shop would be a good idea, if nothing else to make sure nothing's goofy.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm going with Vinnie's second post. [post #16] I had a Jeep CJ-5 that did the same thing when I drove a long distance on the freeway and then took a turn on the off ramp my differential would groan. The clutches get hot and want the grab a little more than normal. It doesn't and won't hurt anything, but in a Ford we would install a Friction Modifier to fix this. [A very stinky liquid that mixes with the differential oil]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote