Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I agree with Vinnie, Terry, and Robert.

Gene
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks again everybody! I am now also of the mind that it was a fluke, but it probably wasn't from running hot, as it was only 40D here yesterday. It is working fine, so I am going to give it a go into Tucson and hope for the best. Deming is pretty small and I don't know the shops here.
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
Thanks again everybody! I am now also of the mind that it was a fluke, but it probably wasn't from running hot, as it was only 40D here yesterday. It is working fine, so I am going to give it a go into Tucson and hope for the best. Deming is pretty small and I don't know the shops here.
40 degrees is only going affect your operating temp of your diff and transmission by about 30 degrees. the tranny can still be around 200 and the diff 150.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Made it to Tucson (actually Benson) today and there are no further problems. I am going with a fluke stickage of the positrac. Hopefully those will not be famous last words!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
differentials and headaches

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali All Wheel Drive and Quadrasteer....have serviced differentials (front and rear) faithfully...72,000 on vehicle now...services at about 65,000 and 40,000 (at Jiffy Lube) and prior at a dealer......I have been hearing and feeling problems with something coming from rear wheels for some time.....have made repeated attempts to identify problem at GMC dealers and have gotten no response.....until returning from last 5,000 mile trip and then the dealer (as I have taken vehicle in trying to diagnose problem)...and lo and behold my rear Limited Slip diff has disentigrated Had a Good SCAM extended service warranty and tried to get them to fix my $2000 repaiir and they told me to go suck on it and not wanting to do that i began scratching my head which led me to my jiffy lube receipts and lo and behold jiffy lube had serviced my rear diff with the WRONG LUBE...twice, even though their specs call for the correct synthetic lube.....Now this is good and this is bad.....good because jiffy lube is now going to pay for the repairs...but bad because Covert GMC in Bastrop Texas is inept and stupid

But it is a lesson learned in the experience.....I have the only truck in the world...because of the quadrasteer...that takes this special lube...according to the dealer.....a GM part number 12378557....

Oh well...so the inept dealer has had truck almost two weeks and hopefully will be ready today and so back on the road again...
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Bummer, and bad luck kf. Sorry to hear.

That is why I try to do most of my own servicing. Pain is the butt sometimes but at least I know what is going on.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
After the differential's are serviced,(frt & rear), find a big lot, dozen full lock right turns 2wd, dozen full lock left turns 2wd, repeat as needed, every month or two.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Seems like I hear about wrong lub in differentials on a regular basis, usually, but not always, at quickie lub shops.

That's why I stay away from those places.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #29
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
but the dealers suck....

at least in this instance....jiffy lube has stepped up to the plate big time and paying for the entire repair ...which is approaching $3000 US Dollars...I guess i will buy my own supply of this lubricant...at $40.00 a quart....
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
''but the dealers suck....."

I resemble that remark, granted some do, whether Airstream or Auto.

But like a lot of things today competition is changing the market.
I worked at some marginal ones, it didn't take long to realize that fact and move on. Take a look at the service shop, in most cases the cleaner more organized the shop the better experience. PRIDE
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Richland Hills , Texas
Most dealers don't even know there is a special lube P/N. When I went to the dealer for the groaning noise they wanted to replace my rear brakes. I did my own research and ran across a QS forum and found people had the same noise. From what I have found, the so called "special lube" @ $45/qt is just nothing but synthetic lube w/ an additive for the limited slip already added in it.
Quadrasteers have different style lockers than all other GM trucks (remember QS trucks have Dana 60 center sections not the more common 14 bolt). The lockers in QS trucks are an auburn clutch pack style, the reason for the need of the additive just like the old posi-tracks from years past.
TexasSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
It sounds like the same problem my old man had is in f350, did a rear end service with 75-140 red line full synth that had the fiction modifier, he drove it mybe 200 miles and the tires were cherping constantly, I told him he probably needed to add the friction modifier and after some convensing he did and the noise went away.

So mybe a rear end service is in yoru future just make sure to use the right oil and possible modifiers.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote