Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hello FLYNCLD,

Not sure why it has to be a differential problem at all? Is the truck equipped with disc brakes in the rear? We recently had a car come into the shop that picked up a piece of gravel in the rear pads. It made a scuffing noise when the brakes were either depressed or not. We put the car in the air and found the noise right away.. removed the gravel chunk and problem solved. Maybe it fell out and all is well? it would be good for someone to just check it out tomorrow and you can give us the update as to what they found..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
In reading a bit closer to what your describing by the tire grabbing as your turning.. you might have posi traction clutches grabbing when they get hot from all the usage in the towing conditions your under. There is a special additive for this so when the clutches get hot they dont grab and cause the axles to be somewhat locked when turning.. sorry.. now I dont think its something in the brakes.. but it could still be intermittent as the temp has dropped in the axle.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
It is not full-time, there is a switch on the dash 2WH-4WH-4WL..the rear diff is a automatic locking, no switch. Self-locking hubs.

As usual, thanks for all the advice! I think I will still take her in tomorrow! As my wife always reminds me...better safe than sorry!

Of course when I take it in, it won't do anything wrong which will then result in a diagnostic charge for nothing and blowing up completely 200 miles later!
In that case I am just going to have to tow your 62 flying cloud for you..... back to my house!
Sounds like the rear may not have released if it was lockable. They do need to be exercised regularly. Every tank of fuel I cycle my truck into and out of 4 wheel high. Once in a while I check 4 lo.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Good advice Michelle! Sorry...NO Flying Cloud for you!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Your truck should have the full synthetic gear lube in the differentials, and shouldn't need the limited slip additive.
My common sense says that somewhere over the 300 miles of your trip, the transfer case and front hubs should have unlocked. Probably a pass through a local mechanic's shop would be a good idea, if nothing else to make sure nothing's goofy.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm going with Vinnie's second post. [post #16] I had a Jeep CJ-5 that did the same thing when I drove a long distance on the freeway and then took a turn on the off ramp my differential would groan. The clutches get hot and want the grab a little more than normal. It doesn't and won't hurt anything, but in a Ford we would install a Friction Modifier to fix this. [A very stinky liquid that mixes with the differential oil]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I agree with Vinnie, Terry, and Robert.

Gene
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks again everybody! I am now also of the mind that it was a fluke, but it probably wasn't from running hot, as it was only 40D here yesterday. It is working fine, so I am going to give it a go into Tucson and hope for the best. Deming is pretty small and I don't know the shops here.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
Thanks again everybody! I am now also of the mind that it was a fluke, but it probably wasn't from running hot, as it was only 40D here yesterday. It is working fine, so I am going to give it a go into Tucson and hope for the best. Deming is pretty small and I don't know the shops here.
40 degrees is only going affect your operating temp of your diff and transmission by about 30 degrees. the tranny can still be around 200 and the diff 150.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Made it to Tucson (actually Benson) today and there are no further problems. I am going with a fluke stickage of the positrac. Hopefully those will not be famous last words!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
differentials and headaches

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali All Wheel Drive and Quadrasteer....have serviced differentials (front and rear) faithfully...72,000 on vehicle now...services at about 65,000 and 40,000 (at Jiffy Lube) and prior at a dealer......I have been hearing and feeling problems with something coming from rear wheels for some time.....have made repeated attempts to identify problem at GMC dealers and have gotten no response.....until returning from last 5,000 mile trip and then the dealer (as I have taken vehicle in trying to diagnose problem)...and lo and behold my rear Limited Slip diff has disentigrated Had a Good SCAM extended service warranty and tried to get them to fix my $2000 repaiir and they told me to go suck on it and not wanting to do that i began scratching my head which led me to my jiffy lube receipts and lo and behold jiffy lube had serviced my rear diff with the WRONG LUBE...twice, even though their specs call for the correct synthetic lube.....Now this is good and this is bad.....good because jiffy lube is now going to pay for the repairs...but bad because Covert GMC in Bastrop Texas is inept and stupid

But it is a lesson learned in the experience.....I have the only truck in the world...because of the quadrasteer...that takes this special lube...according to the dealer.....a GM part number 12378557....

Oh well...so the inept dealer has had truck almost two weeks and hopefully will be ready today and so back on the road again...
Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Bummer, and bad luck kf. Sorry to hear.

That is why I try to do most of my own servicing. Pain is the butt sometimes but at least I know what is going on.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
After the differential's are serviced,(frt & rear), find a big lot, dozen full lock right turns 2wd, dozen full lock left turns 2wd, repeat as needed, every month or two.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Seems like I hear about wrong lub in differentials on a regular basis, usually, but not always, at quickie lub shops.

That's why I stay away from those places.

Gene