Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1962 26' Overlander
Kissimmee , Florida
Range Rover Evoque for 16' Bambi Sport

Hello all!

We currently own a 2013 Range Rover Evoque (RR), and have been eyeing a 16' Bambi Sport (AS). (We are likely selling our 1963 27' project AS, so if you need or would like to buy a part from it, let me know...). I have read a few of the threads on the forum regarding light SUV TV's and the Range Rover brand in general as a TV make, and understand to the majority of the forum population, that equals two strikes already. I am posting what our RR owner manual specs read, and the AS Bambi brochure specs as they are shown, to get your opinion, as the trailer would be a huge investment. We want to make sure we have a safe TV to get to the wilderness.

TV specs:

Vehicle weight: 3,615#
Gross vehicle weight: 5,180#
Gross train weight: 8,680#
Max payload: 1,100#
Maximum permissible towing weight: 3,500#
Maximum permissible tounge weight: 330#
Wheelbase: 104.8"
Track Front: 63.9"
Track Rear: 64.2"
Vehicle Length: 171.5"

Bambi Specs:

GVWR: 3,500#
Base Weight: 2,860#
Hitch Weight: 350#
Exterior Length:16.4'
Exterior Width: 8'

The Evoque is AWD, and has been equipped with a Class II towing package. The salesman at the RV dealer was very kind and had some suggestions for the TV to get it tow ready for a trailer of Bambi's stature:
2" receiver hitch
Oil cooler
Transmission cooler
Brake Controller (I think the TV is already equipped with this in its computer, and is called Trailer Stability Assist)

Any suggestions or helpful criticism would be much appreciated! If you know of a specific thread which tackles this exact topic, please direct me there! We love our Evoque, and think it would look even better with a brand new AS being towed behind her. On her side or roof, in the middle of the interstate however.... not so much. Safety first.

Clark and Ishvara<3

I C BLISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am considering the same AS to be towed with my new SQ5 which has 4400lbs rating. I'm am still very concerned as car manual states towing will affect car durability. Have tried multiple sources to get a definitive answer and so far no luck.

skinzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by skinzy View Post
I am considering the same AS to be towed with my new SQ5 which has 4400lbs rating. I'm am still very concerned as car manual states towing will affect car durability. Have tried multiple sources to get a definitive answer and so far no luck.
You never will get a definitive answer because some everyone drives differently and the amount of heavy duty use both affect durability.

And everybody perceives vehicle capability differently. Some people can't get past the charts, then need to add another 20% margin. Some add modern hitches, better suspensions and tires, disc trailer brakes to make the task of the tow vehicle less strenuous and go past the charts.

Look at all the opinions and references and decide where you fit in.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
I'm doing fine, so far, with a 16' Bambi and a small SUV (Toyota FJ Crusier). Fj has 105.9" wheelbase so it's only 2" longer. Your low hitch weight of #330 may be due to softer, less beefy suspension, you may need to change that. The hitch would need upgraded for sure with a WD system. One way to find out is to set your RR up with the proper WD hitch and rent a trailer for the weekend, haul it over to Destin, Seaside or the Blackwater River area and see if you like the feel of things. I think you would be fine in most places, hauling capacity will be maxed out for sure.
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote