Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The RAMTRUCKS TOWING CAPACITY guide says......"An exhaust or "Jake Brake" is recommended for Dodge 3500 Pickup and Chassis Cab models pulling a trailer weight of 10,000 pounds or more".

This is a minimum requirement for those upfitting a 3500 or Chassis Cab that will be used for towing 10,000 pounds or more. That essentially means that a diesel, not a Hemi should be selected for the build.

Again, RAM states that the diesel exhaust brake is beneficial in a variety of situations with the 2500 Cummins Diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JAKE BRAKE.png
Views:	52
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	253661  

Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I drive our 2012 Ram 2500HD with the exhaust brake turned on all the time on dry pavement. It is not loud enough to be obnoxious.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #31
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
'The RAMTRUCKS TOWING CAPACITY guide says......"An exhaust or "Jake Brake" is recommended for Dodge 3500 Pickup and Chassis Cab models pulling a trailer weight of 10,000 pounds or more".'

I wonder, is the "10,000 pounds or more" statement a marketing move like P&G's addition of wash, rinse, and reapply to the instructions on a shampoo bottle which boosted product volume sales tremendously? Or, is there a particular insight about braking limits of the 2500 they wanted to avoid declaring since you mention, "RAM states that the diesel exhaust brake is beneficial in a variety of situations with the 2500 Cummins Diesel 2500 series? "
Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A 10k trailer isn't a strain. It's from this point upwards in weight where the EB is really nice to have. Try a 20k-lb loaded gooseneck trailer for comparison. This is where the tool is great to have.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Just like any other tool in your tool box-always nice to have a better selection
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I drive our 2012 Ram 2500HD with the exhaust brake turned on all the time on dry pavement. It is not loud enough to be obnoxious.
I did a search to find this thread and ask a question.

When we got off the road in July, a few (10 ish) times just driving around town the exhaust brake (EB) on my 2016 Ram 2500 CTD would 'enable' all by itself. Meaning, WITHOUT selecting auto or full on the switch, I hear the distinctive rumble of the EB and the truck loses power.

This has happened at random times and driving circumstances. It has never happened while we were on the road, towing, since last November.

I took into my local dealer in Tampa for a checkup. They told me there were no stored codes and they could not replicate the problem. Several modules were reflashed but these were unrelated to the engine.

I posted a question in a truck forum, and some folks advised me that the EB was a part of the turbo, i.e. it was not a simple gate within the exhaust pipe. Some suggested running with the EB enabled, when not towing, as a means to reduce soot build up in the turbo. I was surprised to hear that, as my truck only has 26k miles on it.

Is there any negative to running the EB under normal (unhitched) around town driving?

Is this practice likely to help reduce risk of soot build up?

Thanks!

Rich

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
I did a search to find this thread and ask a question.

When we got off the road in July, a few (10 ish) times just driving around town the exhaust brake (EB) on my 2016 Ram 2500 CTD would 'enable' all by itself. Meaning, WITHOUT selecting auto or full on the switch, I hear the distinctive rumble of the EB and the truck loses power.

This has happened at random times and driving circumstances. It has never happened while we were on the road, towing, since last November.

I took into my local dealer in Tampa for a checkup. They told me there were no stored codes and they could not replicate the problem. Several modules were reflashed but these were unrelated to the engine.

I posted a question in a truck forum, and some folks advised me that the EB was a part of the turbo, i.e. it was not a simple gate within the exhaust pipe. Some suggested running with the EB enabled, when not towing, as a means to reduce soot build up in the turbo. I was surprised to hear that, as my truck only has 26k miles on it.

Is there any negative to running the EB under normal (unhitched) around town driving?

Is this practice likely to help reduce risk of soot build up?

Thanks!

Rich
Rich, to answer your question, 'is it ok to run with the exhaust brake on auto or full-time when you are not towing?'. Yes you can! Somewhere in your 900 page RAM manual or diesel supplement it discusses this, but not that obvious. The manual states you can use your EB for purposes such as helping your engine warm up faster. I live in Michigan and I can tell you under very cold conditions turning the EB on, I leave it on auto, helps the engine to warm up much faster as many others do up here. But, as the manual notes, be aware that under slippery conditions using the EB without a load can cause loss of traction on the rear wheels. I personally have found EB on auto to be very predictable and manageable under slippery condition. On ice, no way:-) Also remember when on auto EB it might not sound like the EB is engaging, it is.

I can't speak educated on if running the EB when not towing reduces build up in the turbo. But, it sounds like it has a logical foundation of reasoning to me. Given most build up issues are caused by an engine's, turbo and exhaust system being cold or cool. This is when the hydrocarbons build up the fastest. The faster you can warm things up to operational temps, the less carbon build up. Being on my third modern diesel, with all the EPA crap all over it (2 Fords, 1 2016 Cummings 20k mi.) I have learned about best practices of carbon build up and pollution control failures, some catastrophic. Key is heat, these things don't do well cooled down, carbon build up will destroy and or cause you big maintenance bills. Long story short: don't use idle too long to warm up your Cummins, or any modern diesel for that matter, if you have to idle for more than 5 minutes in cold conditions up the fast idle option to 1k rpm (dealer can turn on this option for you, under certain conditions it will idle up auto. ), also never let your Cummings idle for more than 5 mins, 10 mins max (this is where things like the EGR, turbo and many other inline exhaust systems build up and fail. I messed up on my Fords not following these guidelines, some my fault and some Powerstrike common issues. Notice the commercial diesel guys with modern exhaust systems, they shut them off, no more long idles. Bummer.

As far as your EB kicking in automatically, hmm, now that is a new one for me. There is a way to check if it is or is not. I have a Laramie so my center steering console has a big graphic display. One of those display options in a gauge that shows how many psi turbo boost you are putting out and also the reverse measure, how much reverse HP is being produced by the EB under exhaust brake. If the EB is kicking in on it's own, this guage will catch the energy it's creating. If it stays zero when you hear, or think you hear the EB kicking in, then it's something else besides the EB. If the EB gauge shows horse power produced when you hear or think you hear the EB kicking in, then it's kicking in.

Good luck.

Greg

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
This relates to the question above, but I'll throw it out there. I drive with my EB in auto anytime I go anywhere. Firstly, it reduces braking required saving on my brakes and the wear and tear associated with that.

Secondly, just as it can help with engine warmup, etc; it's also good for exercising the vanes on the turbo. This is especially true if you do a lot of city driving where you don't really spool the turbo up very often. If you are hauling regularly or extended road drives where the turbo will help out, this is not as big of a deal.

There are quite a few threads on cummins forum about using the EB all the time.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had the stock variable vane (i.e. exhaust brake) turbo fail in the on position in our 2012 Ram 2500HD with 6.7 Cummins HD. Could not start the truck. There was no carbon buildup. Turbo just failed.

Replaced the turbo with a fixed vane unit, new exhaust header for a 5.7 Cummins, and in line exhaust pipe brake. Aftermarket Turbo dealer is selling over 100 kits a month to replace this Cummins branded turbo.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Had the stock variable vane (i.e. exhaust brake) turbo fail in the on position in our 2012 Ram 2500HD with 6.7 Cummins HD. Could not start the truck. There was no carbon buildup. Turbo just failed.

Replaced the turbo with a fixed vane unit, new exhaust header for a 5.7 Cummins, and in line exhaust pipe brake. Aftermarket Turbo dealer is selling over 100 kits a month to replace this Cummins branded turbo.
Interesting to this Ram 1500 EcoDiesel owner. We also have a variable vane turbo on our engine, but Ram decided not to introduce an "exhaust brake" function with it. It automatically closes to 40-50% for braking but perhaps it would be good to have the 90% closing an aftermarket tune company offers. EcoD owners with that aftermarket tune like it, and it's tempting.

Apparently, based on some failure or dislike of variable vane turbos on the Cummins engine, I wonder if it's a good idea (outside of whether an aftermarket tune itself is a good idea) to enable this exhaust brake function? Does it damage the turbo?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks all. Appreciate the suggestions.

I had not thought of monitoring the Diesel via the EVIC soft gauge on the dash, good idea.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thanks all. Appreciate the suggestions.

I had not thought of monitoring the Diesel via the EVIC soft gauge on the dash, good idea.

Let us know what you finally find out. Merry Christmas, too!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Let us know what you finally find out. Merry Christmas, too!

Merry Christmas to you too!