Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
RAM adopting J2807 for 2015

RAM is all in with J2807 for 2015 models.

2015 Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 Adopt SAE J2807 Ratings

Ram goes all-in on SAE J2807 tow ratings [w/video] - Autoblog

Ram announces SAE tow ratings for 2015 pickups | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

Not much changed in ratings, however. Kind of makes you think they have been using the J2807 for a while "unofficially".

What do y'all think?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Sounds like a good thing to me. Now all manufacturers need to start rating all vehicles by the J2807 standard that are capable of towing anything. It would at a minimum instill some confidence in selecting a tow vehicle other than "my brother-in-law's best friend tows with one".

Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I know GM has been very quietly phasing in all the SUVs, Crossovers, and cars, as new, redesigned models have come out. I am unclear which are and aren't in the carlines, but all 1500s for 2014 and 2015, all the full size SUVs for 2015 are J2807. I suspect the HDs won't be until Ford revamps the 250s and 350s. Not sure how the Ram announcement may change that, if at all.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm sure it won't stop the marketers from showing the top of the line decked out King Super Duper Big Cowboy High Mountain Edition with giant bold letters saying, "11,000lbs TOWING CAPACITY" and then a little asterisk that says "when properly equipped"

Because at the end of the day, most of public just isn't informed and is easily mislead by marketing.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm sure it won't stop the marketers from showing the top of the line decked out King Super Duper Big Cowboy High Mountain Edition with giant bold letters saying, "11,000lbs TOWING CAPACITY" and then a little asterisk that says "when properly equipped"

Because at the end of the day, most of public just isn't informed and is easily mislead by marketing.
Tow ratings, payload, GCWR, GVWR, RAWR, FAWR are things that the vast majority of tow vehicle buyers and users have never considered and don't understand. They can mostly, just barely, understand the marketing hype.

At least the hype will be to a certain standard.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Ignorance is bliss until sitting as a defendant or graveside contemplating negligence after a crash for an overloaded vehicle parameter that failed and caused an incident....

Hope folks really do their homework as they are sharing the road.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Switz is right, ignorance is bliss. I didn't realize that there was no standard in place until I read this. Marketing wins another round.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
And then there is even worse....those that don't believe what the marketing people have convinced the engineering people they can say about towing ratings, and think they know more.

But, that has been discussed many times on here only to lead to arguments. So if nothing else, these standard ratings might put those arguments to rest, and that would also be a good thing for everyone on the road.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Ignorance is bliss until sitting as a defendant or graveside contemplating negligence after a crash for an overloaded vehicle parameter that failed and caused an incident....

Hope folks really do their homework as they are sharing the road.
Yeah but most don't, like this guy:

Because he was told his truck can tow up to 10,000lbs he did just that.

While being a libertarian and believing people should be responsible for themselves, I do think that the manufacturers mislead the general public with their marketing. I'm not sure though if that's more the manufacturers saying whatever and shifting the responsibility to the dealers or what. People just don't know about payload and aren't told.

Worse, with most gasser engines producing over 350hp these days, most can keep pulling the extra weight without the owner being aware of their weight issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
And then there is even worse....those that don't believe what the marketing people have convinced the engineering people they can say about towing ratings, and think they know more.

But, that has been discussed many times on here only to lead to arguments. So if nothing else, these standard ratings might put those arguments to rest, and that would also be a good thing for everyone on the road.
It won't. It will just even out the claims about who can tow the most. It does nothing to address the payload configuration problem where all the misleading advertising comes from and where most people aren't educated about.

Just how many people on this forum have mentioned MAX TOW thinking that means they can just tow anything?

I rest my case.

Companies will continue to find ways to skew numbers and information to their favor.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This link is interesting: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

I put in all the data from manufacturers and my trips to the scales. Truck GVWR is 10,000 and "tow capacity" is over 16,000. But CGVW is 24,500 so if I maxed out the truck, the tow capacity is already lowered.

After using this calculator, with a 20% tongue max and 20% "safety margin", this tool calculated actual towing capacity as 7500 max. That's on a honking 3/4 ton diesel. Capacity rises to 10,000 only with a 15% tongue and 10% safety margin.

Nothing on this calculator for cargo capacity or payload though a hyperlink here: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-v...derstand.shtml describes it.

Point is - you really can't tow the space shuttle with your smart car. :-)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Point is - you really can't tow the space shuttle with your smart car. :-)
Great news for all of you with massive reusable spaceships taking up valuable space in your driveway or sitting on your lawn, under a tarp: you can tow it! Toyota demonstrated this nice and dramatically by successfully hauling nearly 300,000 pounds of shuttle orbiter!

Stick a space shuttle up the tailpipe of your F250 Diesel.

See all I ever have to do is point to this marketing stunt to tell all the nay saying you must have a 3/4 ton truck to tow that.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

Actually, you've got it backwards. They may SHOW that top of the line one, but the highest tow, payload, GVW, etc. trucks are the stripped work trucks with no options except tow and suspension packages. They weigh less without options and therefore attain the max numbers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
It won't. It will just even out the claims about who can tow the most. It does nothing to address the payload configuration problem where all the misleading advertising comes from and where most people aren't educated about.
Please go back and read my post again, carefully. I was NOT talking about the marketing people and engineering people. I was talking about those in this "hobby" or business in some cases, that don't believe either the engineers or marketing people, and think they know more about the capabilities of vehicles than the manufacturers of those vehicles.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Actually, you've got it backwards. They may SHOW that top of the line one, but the highest tow, payload, GVW, etc. trucks are the stripped work trucks with no options except tow and suspension packages. They weigh less without options and therefore attain the max numbers.
We know this. How is it backwards? Look at Ford's advertisements, they'll show the King Ranch F-150, and talk about the max towing only found on the stripped down versions. We've all seen the same commercial, with it getting loaded up with tons of rocks our hay. Then cut scene to the interior, the beautiful leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, a shot of the premium sound and panoramic sunroof.

Like I said, *When properly equiped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Please go back and read my post again, carefully. I was NOT talking about the marketing people and engineering people. I was talking about those in this "hobby" or business in some cases, that don't believe either the engineers or marketing people, and think they know more about the capabilities of vehicles than the manufacturers of those vehicles.
I read it carefully the first time around Steve. If they don't care about that, why would they care about this standard?