Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
One thing I will agree with Tom_T on is that trucks sit much too high for using them for what I consider normal use that is typical hauling duties in the bed and hooking up trailers. I even went so far as to remove the blocks out from under the rear leaf springs on my truck aka "reverse level". It got rid of some of the factory rake, the tailgate and hitch sit closer to the ground by at least 2". My truck will fit into my standard house garage with the cab high bed cap on the back. The truck still does retain some rake just not as drastic.
I feel sorry for the working men who try to put ladders and other tools or lumber up on top of their ladder racks - what a chore! Also ask any folks who pull fifth wheels or goosenecks about the strains they go through to get their trailers to pull level or not have the trailer hit the top of the bed in an off-road situation....
Back in the day manufacturers made "camper special" pickups. I truly the manufacturer who could take the awesome pickups made now and put reasonable suspension underneath could sell quite a few to workers or weekend camping warriors.
A kelderman air suspension with a kneeling feature is probably the closest to perfect one could get for this job but cost big bucks.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Beautiful Santa Rosa , California
Found the info in the owner's manual

Hi Tom T, SKT,
I found the language in the owner's manual for my car. Apparently, the computer will adjust the driving characteristics when the wiring harness for a trailer is connected. You gotta love those German engineers...

Thanks,
David
2002sheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #63
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002sheds View Post
Hi Tom T, SKT,
Looking for the manual now... I may have driven the Pepper with a bit more gusto today, after what I learned here, from a previous exchange with Mojo and in talking with Andy :-)
I am definitely eager to put these learnings to the test.

Thanks,
David
So David,

Will we see your Cay with the 70 Ambassador in tow at the Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally in mid-May!?

IIRC Mojo used to own one of those V10 T-regs too, & towed off-road with it!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Pismo Rally

Hi Tom,
I would love to make it, and we would definitely be driving the Cayenne! Currently, the Ambassador is missing all of its "furniture" (interior, except for skins) and has no subfloor floor for the last 4 feet... I have some work to do!
And if that is not enough, I am remodeling a second "house" on our property to create living quarters for my Mother-in-Law. It is happening, but at a pace that is almost too slow to measure :-) That job is a higher priority at the moment than what I want to be doing, which is getting the AS on the road! I really need to get in gear...
If I don't make it, please let me know if you are anywhere in the Northern California area. We live smack in the middle of Wine Country, and (as you know) the weather just turned from winter to summer...It would be great to hoist a glass of your favorite beverage and talk Airstreams!!

Thanks,
David
Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #65
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Hi Tom,
I would love to make it, and we would definitely be driving the Cayenne! Currently, the Ambassador is missing all of its "furniture" (interior, except for skins) and has no subfloor floor for the last 4 feet... I have some work to do!

Thanks,
David
Did someone mention subfloor? My second favorite subject......Coosa! Look for it at a marina near you.

If by chance you're wondering what the best material to replace your subfloor with......Coosa board! It will never rot, as it doesn't absorb water, as strong if not stronger than plywood, weighs 40- 45% lighter than equivalent plywood, no mold or fungus can grow on it; and it machines like plywood.

Pricey, yes; peace of mind knowing you'll never have to do it again.....priceless.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #66
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Crispy - see my inserted notes in red below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Also ask any folks who pull fifth wheels or goosenecks about the strains they go through to get their trailers to pull level or not have the trailer hit the top of the bed in an off-road situation....

Apparently they're also having clearance problems on the street. Andy T. did one of his Hitch Hints" articles last year or so on the problem with jacked trucks & 5th wheels.

Back in the day manufacturers made "camper special" pickups.

We had a `67 Chevy C20 CS with a cab-over bed camper which my Dad bought new, & basically kept it until the early 2000's - having sold it in the mid-`80's, then bought it back in 1990 & had it restored for my Mom for their 40th anniversary, since it was her truck "Lolita". An awesome truck with a 327 V8, 4BBL, Auto, PS, PB, crawl-thru at the back window on the big window cab.

But gas mileage sucked at 5-7 mpg with the camper on, so he had 2 IH 1960's pick-up side "saddle tanks" installed in the same place on our C20, with an aircraft fuel lines & tank selection valve between the 2 saddles' 12 gals each & the stock Chevy/GMC 16 gal behind the seat tank, making for a more reasonable range with all 40+/- gals. onboard. We got a lot of looks at gas stations when we were gassing up 2 tanks on the left & repositioning for 1 on the right!

I truly the manufacturer who could take the awesome pickups made now and put reasonable suspension underneath could sell quite a few to workers or weekend camping warriors.

.... And for normal folks & us Boomers who don't want to hike 3+ feet up to the cab floor! Frankly, I'm tired of the: "Are You Helping Her Majesty Up" cracks, when I have to put the trailer's folding step under the passenger door to help my wife get in!

They're losing their broader customer base, just to tickle the fancy of the "Oscar Off-roaders" & "Jimmy Jack-ups" of the world - rather than offering suspension options for both!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 03-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #67
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hi Tom,
And if that is not enough, I am remodeling a second "house" on our property to create living quarters for my Mother-in-Law. It is happening, but at a pace that is almost too slow to measure :-) That job is a higher priority at the moment than what I want to be doing, which is getting the AS on the road! I really need to get in gear...
If I don't make it, please let me know if you are anywhere in the Northern California area. We live smack in the middle of Wine Country, and (as you know) the weather just turned from winter to summer...It would be great to hoist a glass of your favorite beverage and talk Airstreams!!

Thanks,
David
Hi David,

I know exactly what you're talking about, as we've been doing a renovation/restoration of our 1921 Craftsman Bungalow for awhile now, & have guys digging under my feet/floor in the tiny crawl space as we speak, so that the plumbers & other trades will have access to redo the drain & supply plumbing, seismic upgrades, etc. I also have a 1973 Porsche 914-2.0 in a slow resto mode, & an `85 BMW 325e E30 whose 2006 resto paint has failed that needs some TLC (again).

That was why I told my wife to find us a "finished resto project" trailer, when she decided she wanted a vintage TT & was looking in 2010-12 - so that we can get out & go with it, since we're not getting any younger!

We have an Avion T20 "vintage kin" (#2 T20 off the line) - so I'm not sure how much Airstream I can speak, but we can chat about vintage trailers in general.

However, there is a public open house 10 - 4 on Sat. May 19 - so you & your wife/family could make a day trip of it to let her look at other trailers' interiors for ideas, & you can network with other Vintage AS owners & shops to help with your resto/rebuild. You can just drive down for the day & back.

And by the way - the finished AS makes for a perfect interim guest house/mother-in-law unit while you finish the 2nd house remodeling - assuming that it could get done sooner than the house remodeling.

PS - We likewise use our Avion when parked at home as a guest house & my wife's "gal cave" - as well as probably temporary quarters for us for 1-3 days if we need to vacate the house for work.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Which way will this go?

Hi Tom, All,
Sorry to leave this thread hanging for several days, but we were actually camping! We took our 1985 Coleman Columbia for what might be its final trip with us out to the coast (Bodega Bay) for several days.
It was a lot of fun, and it also reminded me why I wanted an Airstream :-) The Columbia was dwarfed by the huge SOB trailers around us -- we joked that we could put our trailer inside any of theirs and they would still have plenty of room to camp.
I love the jewel-box quality of our pop-top, except for the lack of room in the bunks -- and we are not tall...It got really windy at times at the coast, and it would have been great to retreat to an Airstream or similar trailer to warm up and escape the sand storm.
I will miss the Columbia, but not enough to leave the path we are on :-)

Thanks,
David
Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Come now, he can tow it with a BMW mini. It is the stopping and getting it around slow bends on a down slope descent that might get a bit hairy.
You ignore the laws of physics at your peril.
In the 1970’s we pulled with 3/4 tons..with the 1/2 tons we had trouble with the rear wheel bearings , no they did not shake the trailers apart.... still have my 72 ford heavy duty 3/4 ton...it is easier riding than the new 1/2 tons.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks,
David
Definitely have to back burner the mother-in-law project unless she is living with you..........
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Mother in Law

Hi Crispy,
My Mother in Law has not moved here yet, which might at least partly explain the super slow pace of my remodel...:-)
In reality, she is great, and I am just slow and easily distracted -- especially by anything to do with large, Twinkie-shaped aluminum objects!

Thanks,
David