Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ram 2500 Auto Level Rear Air Suspension

We are planning to order a Ram 2500 turbo diesel (with that beautiful RamBox option) for our International Signature 28.

We are wondering if anyone who has purchased or driven one with the "auto level rear air suspension" option can answer a few questions.

When not towing, does the ride differ noticeably from a Ram 2500 not equipped with that option?

How do you like it when towing your Airstream? Is it wonderful? Is it overkill? Any experiences/tips to share?

We are planning on the ProPride hitch, if that makes a difference.

Jamey
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Those RamBoxes may preclude installing a camper top to protect and secure gear in the bed of the truck.

I installed the complete Kelderman level ride air suspension system at their factory in Iowa. The truck now sits level regardless of the load in the bed or the trailer being attached. It softened the ride tremendously when the truck is unloaded. My 2012 2500HD diesel came with Michelin LT265/70R17E tires and the manual suggested 45 psi in the rear tires when empty and 70 when loaded. I run the fronts at 70 and the rears at 80 when towing.

We also use the ProPride hitch when towing the new Classic that has a 10,000 pound GVW.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Those RamBoxes may preclude installing a camper top to protect and secure gear in the bed of the truck.

I installed the complete Kelderman level ride air suspension system. The truck now sits level regardless of the load in the bed or the trailer being attached. It softened the ride tremendously when the truck is unloaded. My 2012 2500HD diesel came with Michelin LT265/70R17E tires and the manual suggested 45 psi in the rear tires when empty and 70 when loaded. I run the fronts at 70 and the rears at 80 when towing.

We also use the ProPride hitch when towing the new Classic that has a 10,000 pound GVW.
We were always planning on a tonneau cover, so that's not a worry. I test drove a certified used one with a shell and wasn't crazy about it. I'm 5'2" on a good day and while my husband is 6'2", he's got a bad knee-- so we'll never even be in that truck bed without a ladder anyway. I can reach all the way down into the RamBox, though, so that will help us keep many of the essential items needed when the Airstream is in tow.

It's very helpful to know that the air suspension system you installed aftermarket softened the ride.

Out of curiosity, does the air suspension make the ride in your truck feel more stable? The 2012 we test drove felt like we were going to roll over at any moment when changing lanes or turning corners (I don't know if it was the leaf springs or something else). The newer models we've driven don't sway/roll anywhere near as much.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We tend to leave the gear in the truck as it is not a daily driver. Thus we are always at or just above 8,000 pounds. So the ride is firmer and more stable. We have upgraded all the steering gear and that helps with the vague steering. It will never drive like a sports car. And the 4x4 option raises the CG too.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We tend to leave the gear in the truck as it is not a daily driver. Thus we are always at or just above 8,000 pounds. So the ride is firmer and more stable. We have upgraded all the steering gear and that helps with the vague steering. It will never drive like a sports car. And the 4x4 option raises the CG too.
Thanks-- that helps!

This will be a daily driver, so anything that makes that ride more stable is fine by me.

I should have thought to ask these questions while the certified pre-owned 2012 was still on the lot, because it was in impeccable condition!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Not a 2500...I have a 1500, and the Rambox option is fantastic. I installed a BakFlip F1 hard tonneau cover and it doesn't allow even a DROP of water despite heavy rains and pressure car washes. I keep a 3 gal hot dog compressor in one side and it provides plenty of 100 psi air for tires and tools from a 400 watt inverter.
I like the Triaxon tailgate ladder but wanted heavier construction so made my own out of 1" sq. tubing. It's perfect for getting in/out of the bed for old folks like us!
http://www.amazon.com/Traxion-5-100-.../dp/B003VDX5D2
Sounds like you have a good plan, but you might wish to visit Inland RV's website to see Andy's comments about rear auto levelling systems when towing.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I have the 2500 with the air suspension. I can't compare it to the non air suspension model because this is the only one I've driven. But compared to 3/4 ton Fords I've driven this is a much more comfortable ride. Plus it's nice hooking up the trailer and then watching the back of the truck level up.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
I have the 2500 with the air suspension. I can't compare it to the non air suspension model because this is the only one I've driven. But compared to 3/4 ton Fords I've driven this is a much more comfortable ride. Plus it's nice hooking up the trailer and then watching the back of the truck level up.

Exactly the same for me. My only concern is that I have no idea if the camper is level because the air ride adjusts the height, so how it looks sitting still in park might not match actual setup in drive. I guess my concern is that I don't know what logic it's following.

I got out and looked at it when we pulled into one campground and watched as the air ride adjusted it even then. So I don't know if it's truly level when underway.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the Ramboxes on my '14 and they are just awesome for trailer-towing. I have spaces for everything from a fire extinguisher to hitch tools, chocks, etc. BTW, I have a Bedlocker tonneau cover....push a button and the aluminum louvered slats roll up and back. Not many people order the Rambox option due to the expense, but if you pull a trailer, they are WAY slick. You will love your new truck....the Cummins is unstoppable in the mountains (going up with the turbo diesel, and down with the exhaust braking systems).
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for the input, everyone. We ordered the truck today. After some additional research we decided against the auto level rear air suspension, knowing that there are aftermarket options if we should eventually decide we would be better off with it. It's odd how these things come together sometimes--- after months of study and visits to see and test drive Ford, Ram, and GMC/Chevrolet, we decided on the Ram 2500 in early January and had pretty much determined everything we wanted within a few days save for this one option!

Boxite and BAB-- those are two of the tonneau covers we've been considering. Sooner or later we're going to have to make up our minds.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
If you did have air suspension would that negate the need for a wd hitch?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
If you did have air suspension would that negate the need for a wd hitch?
I would think not. The air suspension would raise the back end, but do nothing for transferring weight to the front axle.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 AM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Not to hijack, but I use the heck out of the Rambox's on my truck. I simply cannot imagine a vehicle without it now.

And YES to the above, you'd still need a WD hitch.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I'm towing a 30' classic with the pro pride hitch, RAM 2500 w/Cummings engine, auto-leveling rear suspension and it's great! You'll love it!

I also have the RAM boxes and a RollX cover - both highly recommended. All in all it's a pleasure to drive, with and without the trailer and I have no worries when pulling the trailer.

Enjoy!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
KSH

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Vista , California
I have a 1500 with air ride, and i just installed my propride hitch. I had a heck of a time getting disconnected. I had to chock the trailer wheels and then hit the gas. The rear of the truck jumped up about a foot or so. So clearly i'm not doing something properly. For the people with the air ride can you let me know what your process is for hitching and unhitching with the propride.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
We had a similar problem with an Oldsmobile Bravada with air suspension and a horse trailer. It seemed that the auto-leveling system did not bleed off air pressure when we were un-hitching the trailer, so we ended up with the tongue jack at the maximum height nearly every time and needing to stand on the bumper to bounce the ball out of the hitch. I never did find a way to get the air to bleed out. The air suspension on this vehicle eventually failed, and it has been far easier to unhitch the trailer since I replaced the rear suspension with conventional coil springs.

My only suggestion is to either get a power tongue lift for the trailer or trade the TV for something with conventional springs.

Good luck.
Paul and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Here's what I do: I'll lower the WD jacks so that the WD bars are absolutely free to swing. I'll then raise the center jack until I can feel the stinger move slightly in the propride receptacle. I'll use my finger while adjusting the jack until I feel this point. I then double check to make sure the WD bars are free to swing and adjust if appropriate. When the weight is taken off the TV and you find the jack height where the stinger starts to move relative to the receptacle, you'll find that the TV air bags will be in equilibrium and stable. You should be able to pull out nicely.

Don't give up. It's taken me some practice to master it and there's no need to change your TV.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Not framilar with propride but very framilar with RAM 1500/Air Suspension here's a suggestion: When ready to disconnect go into your radio screen>suspension>jack mode. Touch jack mode, that will turn air suspension off, adjust your propride accordingly or however you disconnect, pull the truck away, done. Reverse process to reconnect.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #19
KSH

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Here's what I do: I'll lower the WD jacks so that the WD bars are absolutely free to swing. I'll then raise the center jack until I can feel the stinger move slightly in the propride receptacle. I'll use my finger while adjusting the jack until I feel this point. I then double check to make sure the WD bars are free to swing and adjust if appropriate. When the weight is taken off the TV and you find the jack height where the stinger starts to move relative to the receptacle, you'll find that the TV air bags will be in equilibrium and stable. You should be able to pull out nicely.

Don't give up. It's taken me some practice to master it and there's no need to change your TV.
I did put the truck in tire change mode for the suspension, but i think its too late at that point since its already pumped itself up. I did have the WD jacks as loose as possible, once side was totally loose, the other side was slightly tensioned but was all the way down. I did try raising the tongue looking for some separation like i saw on another you tube video, maybe i just didn't go high enough. It was a real pain separating them, and i know its just the technique that's off. I'll give it another try in a few days.

I think maybe when i hook up, i should have the truck in tire change mode, and then connect, adjust the WD bars, and then turn the air back on..
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
A little silicone spray on the stinger helps with the sticking.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote