Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I believe I have two previous posts in this thread, scroll back after you read this. Two catestrophic failures both blamed to tainted fuel. The first at 15 k miles the second last week at 37.5 k miles. Both involve an almost $2000 repair not covered under warranty, but insurance stepped in less deductible. Dealership refuses to look for another reason just claims tainted fuel......sure, twice in 13 months tainted fuel from two different fuel stations, even the insurance company doesn't believe it but can't prove otherwise. Now my opinion: I live in a gated community, my truck is always in my driveway & I don't have neighbor problems so sabotage is pretty much out of the question. Two different local fuel stations with tainted fuel & I'm the ONLY complainant, no other cars or trucks effected as the insurance company checked and I always keep receipts that stated "diesel" so no, I did not pump gasoline. I BELIEVE THERE IS A PROBLEM with my ecodiesel, something is leaching into my fuel system but have no proof & the insurance company through their research don't either. I'm posting this as a heads up to this problem, something most likely will surface down the road in the form of a recall but in the interim it's on your nickel so beware. If you read my previous posts here you'll see how much I really liked this truck but now I'm moving on as I don't want this to happen again when I'm towing my AS & somewhere remote.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Kinda upsets me my 2015 Ram Cummins Big Horn doesn't have a locking fuel door. Even my 12 year old Honda Civic has one. I guess I have a love/skeptical relationship with my Ram.

I will get rid of my Ram the first time I have fuel issues, bite the bullet and go back to gas.

Kelvin
Old 10-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Joe I believe to that you have a problem. I have no idea what it could be but it will likely be something you would never expect. I don't think its an ED specific problem. I've been involved with them from the beginning and am a Mod on the ED forum and have never heard of any such thing regarding them before.

Only odd thing I can think of would be if after the first time you got water or whatever in your fuel that they did not change to fuel filter and it later allowed more to pass to the fuel pump and such. Also are you the only one who fuels the truck?
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Joe I believe to that you have a problem. I have no idea what it could be but it will likely be something you would never expect. I don't think its an ED specific problem. I've been involved with them from the beginning and am a Mod on the ED forum and have never heard of any such thing regarding them before.

Only odd thing I can think of would be if after the first time you got water or whatever in your fuel that they did not change to fuel filter and it later allowed more to pass to the fuel pump and such. Also are you the only one who fuels the truck?
Vern, I'm not only the one that fuels the truck, I'm the only one that drives it. Initially I felt sabotage but dismissed that after much thought as it would have to be a neighbor & I live in a retirement community with no kids or vandalism or crazy neighbors, at least I hope. Also, when the eco was fairly new I had a couple instances of power failure at low speeds but it lasted only for a mile or two & disappeared, I felt it strange but dismissed it. Before this happen last week I was seriously thinking of adding a Banks system for them extra horses & torque but no more, now I'm considering a Nissan Titan/Cummins.
TAC FL-47
Old 10-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Joe, how did they determine the fuel was tainted, and with what? Did they test it?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Do the LED "daytime running lights" shut off on one side when you use the turn signal? Always thought that looked odd. And can you leave the drl's off?
I believe these LED's are also the turn signal lights, but haven't actually looked. You cannot turn the daytime running lights off once they are enabled by the dealer. However they only come on with engine running, the transmission in drive, and parking brake off.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Joe, how did they determine the fuel was tainted, and with what? Did they test it?
Both times an analysis by the dealer in conjunction with the Insurance company concluded it was tainted by an unknown substance. Both time the fuel tank was 100 % full, however this time it was topped off not filled from empty. I know, makes no sense!
TAC FL-47
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
First thing I would do again is change the fuel filter. And if you ever have it spit and sputter again stop and open the little valve on the bottom of the fuel filter and catch what comes out into a small clear container. It will only be an ounce or two but see what it looks like and maybe have it analysed yourself and take the dealer out of that loop.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags