Old 10-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
On a trip through the Smoky Mountains in Tenn. it pulled the Airstream flawlessly up and down steep grades and we managed to get 16.5 mpg at 65mph.
On our trip to Yellowstone this spring, we came pretty close to running out of fuel in 'nowhere' New Mexico with our gas 1500. Pulling the 23D up grades, I would get 7 MPG with three adults in the truck. After that experience, my wife and I talked about getting a diesel. So, while staying at Yellowstone, I asked every EcoDiesel owner I saw what they thought about it, and what their fuel mileage was. Most saw 17-19 towing (most were non-Airstreams), which matches pretty close to what you are getting. I keep reading on these forums how people are getting 20+ towing and I keep thinking, really? Something just doesn't jive for me. In the end, I went to a ton diesel, in town I'm getting 16 MPG, on the highway 22 MPG, towing about 13 MPG. So, overall I'm pleased. I can't even tell the Airstream is behind me towing. But then with any ton diesel you can tow 2+ airstreams.

Personally, I was a bit weary of a 3.0L diesel. I think the 6.xL engines are overkill for our needs, but 3.0L is not quite enough. I really wish manufacturers would put out a 4 to 4.5 L diesel and put that into the truck. I think that would be ideal, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
...Personally, I was a bit weary of a 3.0L diesel. I think the 6.xL engines are overkill for our needs, but 3.0L is not quite enough. I really wish manufacturers would put out a 4 to 4.5 L diesel and put that into the truck. I think that would be ideal, but I don't think that's going to happen.
There is always one of these!
Bruce

https://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/titan-xd

Old 10-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
supposedly Ford is coming out with an F150 with the Land Rover diesel- for those that want a diesel and options for 2018.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/30/f...-liter-engine/

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/15/d...150-spy-shots/
Old 10-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
About 8,500 miles on our EcoDiesel now, over 3,000 towing our FC 25, and a lot locally hauling and towing our utility trailer. Wonderful engine/transmission combination with the 3.92 axles and a smooth ride with and without the Airstream. Load and handling concerns are handled nicely with our ProPride hitch, our loaded FC25 added 840 lbs to our truck as per CAT scale with the two 3900 lb axles loaded within 20 lbs of each other, both under maximum rating.

The truck's quality is excellent, not a single issue since new. The daytime running lights on these U.S. models are not enabled from the factory, you have to ask the dealer to "Enable Daytime Running Lights" with their computer. Many will not know how. On the Laramie that is the row of LED lights under the headlights, on others it is the headlight itself that will illuminate. The engine has to be running, transmission in drive, and parking brake off for them to come on.

We run 15-17 mpg towing and 27-30 most highway solo, overall mileage since new 24.9. Very smooth truck to drive and tow with. Load the truck lightly in the bed, use a high quality weight distribution hitch, and it tows our FC 25 at about 7000 lbs very nicely using the transmission/engine compression and truck/trailer service brakes as needed on the steep grades. The engine/transmission takes care of itself in routine cross-country travel.

I suspect the results of towing a box-shaped travel trailer with a low quality hitch and setup may be quite different. Within the week we will be heading out for another very long cross-country trip, looking forward to it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Ohio
Doug I always like reading your replies. I bought the ED shortly prior to knowing anything about contracting to deliver AS. Like wbrisett I was a little leary that the 3.0 liter diesel would be enough even with the 3.92 and the 8 speed and despite my trucks 8,800 max tow rating. I have picked up a tune both for the turbo brake & extra power which with the shorter 31.9 tire has shown to be enough power to tow the heaviest AS I've done a 30'11" Classic at 8,013 pounds now up the grades usually in 5th & 55 mph.

This works out to 3,000 rpm so I have never had any heat issues even towing Vegas to Barstow & back but I do have the SLT grill which helps airflow. Like Doug said between the turbo brake & trailer brake controller a safe no drama decent. I don't have as nice a hitch as Doug has but between WDH & airbags distributing the load & supporting the suspension and the no sway which the cheap Andersen unit I have does well at everything stays in check.

Like Doug 15 mpg is typical with a larger AS 17 with a smaller and 27 to 30 all keeping it to 65 mph. Keep in mind the AS I tow are dry. So if your trailer wet is near what I have described its at what I would say is its reasonable limits. When a buddy and I ran together his 2014 2500 Cummins used a little over 20% more fuel empty or loaded. Although if he takes the time to weight the axles and set it up it would be a better truck to tow that weight with and certainly anything larger.

I look forward to 2018 when I suspect Ford will deliver it small diesel in the f-150. It should inspire Ram to continue to get better. I suspect it will make a lot of Ford owners swap their hot rod gas hog. Cool though to have the choice go fast or save money towing. I see the big Nissan starting at $36,390 harder on fuel but will do the bigger AS better. I looked at the base Ram ED it starts at 31,610 but its not as heavy a truck. Competition is good.
Delivering Airstreams from Mfg 2 dealers RAM EcoDiesel factory brake controller, tow mirrors, hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12,000, Andersen 4" drop/rise no sway WDH, TLC axle to frame air bags mini compressor, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max RAM 1500 GCAR 7,800, CVWR 15,950
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:14 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
About 8,500 miles on our EcoDiesel now, over 3,000 towing our FC 25, and a lot locally hauling and towing our utility trailer. Wonderful engine/transmission combination with the 3.92 axles and a smooth ride with and without the Airstream. Load and handling concerns are handled nicely with our ProPride hitch, our loaded FC25 added 840 lbs to our truck as per CAT scale with the two 3900 lb axles loaded within 20 lbs of each other, both under maximum rating.

The truck's quality is excellent, not a single issue since new. The daytime running lights on these U.S. models are not enabled from the factory, you have to ask the dealer to "Enable Daytime Running Lights" with their computer. Many will not know how. On the Laramie that is the row of LED lights under the headlights, on others it is the headlight itself that will illuminate. The engine has to be running, transmission in drive, and parking brake off for them to come on.

We run 15-17 mpg towing and 27-30 most highway solo, overall mileage since new 24.9. Very smooth truck to drive and tow with. Load the truck lightly in the bed, use a high quality weight distribution hitch, and it tows our FC 25 at about 7000 lbs very nicely using the transmission/engine compression and truck/trailer service brakes as needed on the steep grades. The engine/transmission takes care of itself in routine cross-country travel.

I suspect the results of towing a box-shaped travel trailer with a low quality hitch and setup may be quite different. Within the week we will be heading out for another very long cross-country trip, looking forward to it.
Do the LED "daytime running lights" shut off on one side when you use the turn signal? Always thought that looked odd. And can you leave the drl's off?

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:29 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
There is always one of these!
Bruce

https://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/titan-xd
That's actually not a ton, or a ton.. it sits somewhere in the middle with that 5.0L diesel that gets worse fuel economy than my 6.6L diesel. Word is Cummings first offered that engine to RAM, but they declined at the time. From what I read, when Fred Diaz moved from RAM to Nissan he convinced them this would get them 'in the game'... sales figures have not proven that out. But, reviews on that XD are not bad. The folks from TTL ran it up the I-gauntlet and it did great, it rode great. But the fuel economy should be better for a vehicle that isn't up to the weight and has a bit smaller diesel at heart. I'm not exactly sure why it fails here, but it certainly does.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
That's actually not a ton, or a ton.. it sits somewhere in the middle with that 5.0L diesel that gets worse fuel economy than my 6.6L diesel. Word is Cummings first offered that engine to RAM, but they declined at the time. From what I read, when Fred Diaz moved from RAM to Nissan he convinced them this would get them 'in the game'... sales figures have not proven that out. But, reviews on that XD are not bad. The folks from TTL ran it up the I-gauntlet and it did great, it rode great. But the fuel economy should be better for a vehicle that isn't up to the weight and has a bit smaller diesel at heart. I'm not exactly sure why it fails here, but it certainly does.
For my money the biggest issue with the Titan is Nissan styling. They seem to have a lock on ugly design. If you own a Nissan, I apologize but they are just the strangest looking vehicles.
That said, the Titan XD isn't all bad looking in terms of a modern truck. I'd guess that Nissan was trying to avoid standing out with this design, good or bad. It comes off as vanilla. Not exactly inspired...
Then there is that interior.
It looks like they purchased all of Fords tooling from the 2009 F-150 and just put it in production. I'd say that they missed an opportunity to separate themselves from the pack here and the result is boringly familiar.

The Cummins 5.0 diesel has great numbers at 320 hp and 555 pounds feet of torque. Fuel mileage as reported by Fuelly.com is a little weak but it is about what the EcoBoost F-150 gets.
I will bet that reliability for the Cummins will prove to be better than competitors too. There are certainly more than a few reports of Ram Eco Diesel engine failures. Enough to make me hesitate considering one. I think the Cummins is probably a big plus.

Load capacity and towing are where it should shine compared to the Ram. I couldn't find load numbers on Nissans site but 2000 pounds is mentioned in various articles online. That's a lot and it is a lot more than the Ram 1500.

Other than the styling, I kind of like the truck.

In the end, it is probably just very difficult to break into the American LT/HD truck market. I'd bet that if one of the big 3 (or 4 if you include Toyota) introduced this truck sales would be much better.

Bruce
Old 10-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ram 1500 power-fold towing mirrors.

We could not get power-fold towing mirrors on our 2016 Ram 1500, power fold standard mirrors or manual fold tow mirrors only.

But for 2016 the Ram 2500 offered them for the first time, so I have been wondering if the Ram 2500 power fold towing mirrors (with all the options) would fit the Ram 1500. I have asked several dealerships, they generally think so but haven't tried it. Probably $500 each for these Laramie factory mirrors, aftermarket has them cheaper but they don't have all the options.

We do have the power fold standard size mirror, does anyone know if the Ram 2500 mirrors will interchange, same wire connectors?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
San Marcos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
But for 2016 the Ram 2500 offered them for the first time, so I have been wondering if the Ram 2500 power fold towing mirrors (with all the options) would fit the Ram 1500. I have asked several dealerships, they generally think so but haven't tried it. Probably $500 each for these Laramie factory mirrors, aftermarket has them cheaper but they don't have all the options.

We do have the power fold standard size mirror, does anyone know if the Ram 2500 mirrors will interchange, same wire connectors?
I did some research when I was considering ditching the manual tow mirrors on the 1500 for the standard power fold mirrors.

You have to replace the mirrors, door control modules and driver side window control panel then the dealer has to program the appropriate sales (option) code into the computer so the vehicle knows it has power folding mirrors.

If the door control module for the power folding tow mirrors is the same as the module for the regular power fold mirrors you might be in luck. First thing I'd do is have the dealer lookup the part numbers for the door control modules and see if they are the same.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
6 speed and small DFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
For my money the biggest issue with the Titan is Nissan styling. They seem to have a lock on ugly design. If you own a Nissan, I apologize but they are just the strangest looking vehicles.
That said, the Titan XD isn't all bad looking in terms of a modern truck. I'd guess that Nissan was trying to avoid standing out with this design, good or bad. It comes off as vanilla. Not exactly inspired...
Then there is that interior.
It looks like they purchased all of Fords tooling from the 2009 F-150 and just put it in production. I'd say that they missed an opportunity to separate themselves from the pack here and the result is boringly familiar.

The Cummins 5.0 diesel has great numbers at 320 hp and 555 pounds feet of torque. Fuel mileage as reported by Fuelly.com is a little weak but it is about what the EcoBoost F-150 gets.
I will bet that reliability for the Cummins will prove to be better than competitors too. There are certainly more than a few reports of Ram Eco Diesel engine failures. Enough to make me hesitate considering one. I think the Cummins is probably a big plus.

Load capacity and towing are where it should shine compared to the Ram. I couldn't find load numbers on Nissans site but 2000 pounds is mentioned in various articles online. That's a lot and it is a lot more than the Ram 1500.

Other than the styling, I kind of like the truck.

In the end, it is probably just very difficult to break into the American LT/HD truck market. I'd bet that if one of the big 3 (or 4 if you include Toyota) introduced this truck sales would be much better.

Bruce
I too, looked at this one earlier this year..as I recall, the trany was only 6 speed, which could account for the poor mileage; Dodge offers 8 speed. Also, I thought the fuel tank was small and also the DFT tank also was very small compared to other diesels, and it also had no gauge to show capcity? Correct me if I am wrong here, please. But those 3 areas are important in todays market pulling an AS.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Mgieselmann, thanks for the tow mirror info, we do have the power fold standard length mirror. I passed on an identical Laramie EcoD with tow mirrors (non-power fold), to get the power feature, switch and wiring. Hoping the 2016 Ram 2500 power fold tow mirror will swap in. We'll keep checking.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I believe I have two previous posts in this thread, scroll back after you read this. Two catestrophic failures both blamed to tainted fuel. The first at 15 k miles the second last week at 37.5 k miles. Both involve an almost $2000 repair not covered under warranty, but insurance stepped in less deductible. Dealership refuses to look for another reason just claims tainted fuel......sure, twice in 13 months tainted fuel from two different fuel stations, even the insurance company doesn't believe it but can't prove otherwise. Now my opinion: I live in a gated community, my truck is always in my driveway & I don't have neighbor problems so sabotage is pretty much out of the question. Two different local fuel stations with tainted fuel & I'm the ONLY complainant, no other cars or trucks effected as the insurance company checked and I always keep receipts that stated "diesel" so no, I did not pump gasoline. I BELIEVE THERE IS A PROBLEM with my ecodiesel, something is leaching into my fuel system but have no proof & the insurance company through their research don't either. I'm posting this as a heads up to this problem, something most likely will surface down the road in the form of a recall but in the interim it's on your nickel so beware. If you read my previous posts here you'll see how much I really liked this truck but now I'm moving on as I don't want this to happen again when I'm towing my AS & somewhere remote.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Kinda upsets me my 2015 Ram Cummins Big Horn doesn't have a locking fuel door. Even my 12 year old Honda Civic has one. I guess I have a love/skeptical relationship with my Ram.

I will get rid of my Ram the first time I have fuel issues, bite the bullet and go back to gas.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags